Derek

Default venting tumble drier through roof?

Hi all,

I have a tumble drier that I am hopefully moving to a garage that I am
currently constructing (see my other questions :-). Unfortunately the
location of the drier in the garage will have no access to external walls,
as it is surrounded by the house and a party wall. The garage entrance
wall (yes it has one! ;-) is 27ft from the planned location of the drier.

As I cannot change the location of the tumble drier in the garage (a sort
of utility area beside the washing machine which has its own constraints)
is it possible to vent it through the roof, or would there be problems
with condensation running down the pipe? My tumble drier is fairly new so
I don't fancy changing it.

Anybody try this? any advice appreciated.

Derek.
Ian Stirling

Derek wrote:
Hi all,

I have a tumble drier that I am hopefully moving to a garage that I am
currently constructing (see my other questions :-). Unfortunately the
location of the drier in the garage will have no access to external walls,
as it is surrounded by the house and a party wall. The garage entrance
wall (yes it has one! ;-) is 27ft from the planned location of the drier.

As I cannot change the location of the tumble drier in the garage (a sort
of utility area beside the washing machine which has its own constraints)
is it possible to vent it through the roof, or would there be problems
with condensation running down the pipe? My tumble drier is fairly new so
I don't fancy changing it.

You need to provide provision to drain any water that condenses in
the pope, and some means so that it won't flow back into the dryer.
Check the manual for the maximum length of pipe.

Metal pipe is good, plastic pipe is bad, as in the case of a lint
fire, plastic pipe will let it out.
A "U" bend, with a drain at the bottom would work for example.

Lobster

Derek wrote in message ...

I have a tumble drier that I am hopefully moving to a garage that I am
currently constructing (see my other questions :-). Unfortunately the
location of the drier in the garage will have no access to external walls,
as it is surrounded by the house and a party wall. The garage entrance
wall (yes it has one! ;-) is 27ft from the planned location of the drier.

As I cannot change the location of the tumble drier in the garage (a sort
of utility area beside the washing machine which has its own constraints)
is it possible to vent it through the roof, or would there be problems
with condensation running down the pipe? My tumble drier is fairly new so
I don't fancy changing it.

You can buy gizmos which attach to the outflow hose specifically for
applications where there's no vent to outside; the vapour condenses in
a collector apparently. No idea how well they work; think I've seen
them advertised in the Sunday papers.

David
BillV

"Lobster" wrote in message
om...
Derek wrote in message

[...]

They don't work ...
The OP solution may be a proper condensing drier though

Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Dead Tumble Drier (Philips AWB 681) Chris O UK diy 7 February 24th 04 09:39 AM
Tumble Drier in Bathroom Fredrick Skoog UK diy 6 January 10th 04 01:29 PM