Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Guy King

Default Which tumble drier...?

The message
from Timothy Murphy contains these words:

When it's raining (which in Slopshire is rather a lot) we hang washing
on the rack in the stairwell. There's a 10" fan on the ceiling that
blows along the row - dries a full load in about four hours.

Is that - the fan - really a good idea?

Seems to be. Without it the washing takes around twice as long to dry.
It's only a cheap deskfan screwed to the ceiling with a pull-cord switch
away in the corner. IIRC it's about ten watts.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Hellraiser

We *all* have a duty to do what we can. Not for us, but for our
grandchildren and their children.
What we are doing now will be what we will pass on to them. What kind of
legacy will you like them to remember you for?

**** 'em. Serves the little *******s right for hitting my car with their
bloody footballs and running over my garden all the time

Hellraiser.............

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Nice1

fenwoman wrote:
Bla Bla Bal dot your 'i's and cross your 't's

Good on you gal keep up the good work
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
fenwoman

jaycee wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you ever lived on the 16th floor of a tower block, if you put any
sort of line up the council will take you to court or the locals will
steal the washing?

What even if it's in your hoome?
Never lived in any sort of tower block thank goodness. I am a country woman
with land.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
fenwoman

Hellraiser wrote in message
We *all* have a duty to do what we can. Not for us, but for our
grandchildren and their children.
What we are doing now will be what we will pass on to them. What kind of
legacy will you like them to remember you for?

**** 'em. Serves the little *******s right for hitting my car with their
bloody footballs and running over my garden all the time

Aww bless the little loves. I bet they take after you ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Diablos Rojos

"fenwoman" wrote in message
news

jaycee wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you ever lived on the 16th floor of a tower block, if you put any
sort of line up the council will take you to court or the locals will
steal the washing?

What even if it's in your hoome?

yes why not just have a washing line straight through the living room, if
any of it is going to be in line of sight to the TV then just hang smalls
there so your viewing pleasure is not disrupted.

Never lived in any sort of tower block thank goodness. I am a country
woman
with land.

Get orrrf mah laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
David Hansen

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:36:17 +0100 someone who may be "fenwoman"
wrote this:-

When it rains I either wait for a dry day to do a load of washing or hang
it indoors.

As well as the "modern" plastic coated metal drying racks there are
also drying racks of more traditional wood. One can also get drying
lines that stretch over the bath, ideal for drip drying things.

Spending my hard come by cash on vast electricity bills is an
absolute last option. I have a tumble dryer which I use mostly in winter and
then only at night on the economy 7. To this end I also have a washing
machine with a high spin speed to ensure that the length of time taken to
tumble dry is a minimum.

For drying items it is also possible to use low wattage electric
items, such as drying racks and towel rails.

Some have drying areas with heating and vents to take the damp air
to the outside.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
fenwoman

Diablos Rojos wrote in message
Get orrrf mah laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

I don't waste my breath. I let the dogs out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

"fenwoman" wrote in message

Diablos Rojos wrote in message
Get orrrf mah laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

I don't waste my breath. I let the dogs out.

So it was you then....

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
JP JP is offline

"Phil Anthropist" wrote in message
"Lobster" wrote:
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

Can anyone point me at a decent, unbiased "Which?"-type site where I can
read reviews to help me decide which model to go for? All those I've
found through google so far seem very much dealer-led.

Right now we haven't even decided between condensing and vented - from
reading around this it's not clear to me which, if any, is the more
economical to run? Given that I already have a ventilation hole through
the wall, is there any justification for a condensing model?

Then maybe I should be thinking about a gas one - how much cheaper are
the running costs (given that presumably they need CORGI'ing every year
for safety?

Thanks
David

(who probably has about 48 hours to hum and ha over this before he's told
to get his arse out to Comet and not to come back without a new drier...)

As you can have a vented I drier I would go for that because condensing
driers cost more to make and I get the impression that they cost more to
run. Also, with a vented all you have to do is clean the filter, but with
a condenser you have to clean the filter,

20 seconds a dry

empty the water tank

once every 15 dries another 30 seconds
and clean the condenser.

about every 4 months easy with a cotton bud two minutes.

Cleaning the condenser is a bugger and unless the condenser is kept clean
then the washing takes longer and longer to dry as the condenser blocks up
with dried on fluff. So, my advice is to get a basic White Knight vented or
similar. I don't know about gas models.

all in all cleaning it takes an extra 30 seconds a dry
So my advice is get a life.

A vented one means letting cold air into the room or a soaking wet garage.