Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

Default Trolley for washing machine and tumble drier.

The "move a fridge without damaging the floor" thread reminded me of
this problem, but I thought I'd start a new thread rather than clutter
up that one.

I have a 50 Kg tumble drier stacked on top of an 80 Kg washing machine
resting a pair of metal rollers, similar to these...

http://www.betterware.co.uk/productd...spx?pid=026830 [1]

.... on top of a just-big-enough piece of hardboard on top of vinyl
flooring on top of chipboard on top of a suspended t&g floor (whew!).
The large heavy white tower is rolled into a gap, about 75 cm wide, in
the laundry room, between the pipe-work and the side wall. It's all
pretty tight, but it went in OK. That was about eight years ago.

I'm not looking forward to the time I have to get it out again. The
problem is that the washing machine has walked half-way off its rollers,
and it's going to be quite a job getting it back onto them in order to
slide it all out. The only access is to he front panel and the front
half of one side panel. I don't think there's much I can do about that,
though, one day or another it will have to be done.

Then I'll have to put it all back again, and that's where I'm looking
for suggestions. Is there anything more durable that I could buy, or
make, to allow 130 Kg of appliance to be wheeled in and out, that will
stand up to the rocking and vibration of the washing machine? Any
suggestions?

Looking on the bright side, there's plenty of room above the tumble
drier, so the platform or whatever can be any height, within reason.

[1] Great picture! Just how (any why) did they remove the rollers after
putting the tumble-drier in place?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from Mike Barnes contains these words:

Then I'll have to put it all back again, and that's where I'm looking
for suggestions. Is there anything more durable that I could buy, or
make, to allow 130 Kg of appliance to be wheeled in and out, that will
stand up to the rocking and vibration of the washing machine? Any
suggestions?

Is there any particular reason it has to be on rollers in the first
place? Mine just slide out when I need to. If you're worried about the
floor sit 'em on a bit of hardboard and slide another bit up to it when
you need to move them.

As for the rumblegrinder - just lift it up, it's only 50kg.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Guy King wrote:
The message
from Mike Barnes contains these words:

Then I'll have to put it all back again, and that's where I'm looking
for suggestions. Is there anything more durable that I could buy, or
make, to allow 130 Kg of appliance to be wheeled in and out, that will
stand up to the rocking and vibration of the washing machine? Any
suggestions?

Is there any particular reason it has to be on rollers in the first
place? Mine just slide out when I need to. If you're worried about the
floor sit 'em on a bit of hardboard and slide another bit up to it when
you need to move them.

There is hardboard underneath. I also still have the carefully-shaped
piece of hardboard that sits in front of it, which I used when putting
the machine in there. The washer is nearly 20 years old and the feet
weren't made for sliding. There's no way it would slide with the tumble
drier on top.

As for the rumblegrinder - just lift it up, it's only 50kg.

That's what I did when installing it, but before I rolled things into
the corner (so I could get a decent grip) and before I had a bad back.
:-(

Access is *very* tight. The room is an oversized airing cupboard, 125 x
165 cm, with a hot water tank, shower pump, central heating pump, and
lots of pipes to contend with. If you got two people in there, they
couldn't move anything anywhere.

But I take your point, sliding might be the way to go. I think I'd need
to modify the feet to slide more easily, and to bolt handles to the side
panels of the washing machine to make it possible to get a grip.

--
Mike Barnes