Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
Andy R

Default Which tumble drier...?

"Lobster" wrote in message
Ours has conked out again and we've decided this time it needs replacing
(preferably before the laundry bin is full again!)

Can anyone point me at a decent, unbiased "Which?"-type site where I can
read reviews to help me decide which model to go for? All those I've
found through google so far seem very much dealer-led.

Right now we haven't even decided between condensing and vented - from
reading around this it's not clear to me which, if any, is the more
economical to run? Given that I already have a ventilation hole through
the wall, is there any justification for a condensing model?

Then maybe I should be thinking about a gas one - how much cheaper are the
running costs (given that presumably they need CORGI'ing every year for
safety?

Gas is much cheaper, less than a third of the cost. So much so that we
haven't got a washing line anymore, everything gets tumbled all year.
Quicker than electric too, you can only get 3KW of heat into an electric one
but the white knight is nearly 5KW.

No need for an annual inspection, you can also fit it yourself if you want.

If you're siting it on an outside wall and have a gas supply nearby then
there's no competition.

Rgds

Andy R