jim rozen

Default OT Darwin again (was, cell phones)

Finally darwin is starting to work here. Lady talking on cell phone
drives her SUV over a bridge into the river in Oregon:

http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY[news]=ID&ID[news]=1832

Score one for those who *do* drive responsibly.

Jim

please reply to:
Richard J Kinch

jim rozen writes:

http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY[news]=ID&ID[news]=1832

Nope. Survivors are ineligible for Darwin.
Don Bruder

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

Finally darwin is starting to work here. Lady talking on cell phone
drives her SUV over a bridge into the river in Oregon:

http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY[news]=ID&ID[news]=1832

Score one for those who *do* drive responsibly.

Jim

A nit-pick:
She survived. Darwin ain't involved. -5 style-points for calling a
false-Darwin to you, Jim. You ought to know better, by now!

But on the other hand, she gets plenty of extra points for style... An
SUV over the side... And she was yapping on her cell phone... Cosmic
justice WAS served, here, methinks...

And the google-ads that showed up... how INCREDIBLY apropos! AAA
Roadside assistance - Emergency road service in any car anytime,
anywhere, and "Great deals on Car Breakdown Shop on eBay and save!"

snicker

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Don Bruder" wrote in message
In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

Finally darwin is starting to work here. Lady talking on cell phone
drives her SUV over a bridge into the river in Oregon:

http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY[news]=ID&ID[news]=1832

Score one for those who *do* drive responsibly.

Jim

A nit-pick:
She survived. Darwin ain't involved. -5 style-points for calling a
false-Darwin to you, Jim. You ought to know better, by now!

But on the other hand, she gets plenty of extra points for style... An
SUV over the side... And she was yapping on her cell phone... Cosmic
justice WAS served, here, methinks...

And the google-ads that showed up... how INCREDIBLY apropos! AAA
Roadside assistance - Emergency road service in any car anytime,
anywhere, and "Great deals on Car Breakdown Shop on eBay and save!"

snicker

In her defense, according to news coverage (we get the Portland stations)
she was using a hands free device, but was driving in rainy conditions. The
crash was apparently caused by sliding, not inattention. What surprises
me is how easily the SUV took out the guard rail.

No, I don't approve of talking on the phone while one drives, with our
without hands. No need to comment.

Harold

Ian Stirling

Richard J Kinch wrote:
jim rozen writes:

http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY[news]=ID&ID[news]=1832

Nope. Survivors are ineligible for Darwin.

Unless rendered incapable of having children.

Karl Vorwerk

I watched a woman drive through a stop sign by my friends store last night.
She slowed down just enough not to hit the car that had the right of way but
never slowed down talking. She looked like she had a lot of practice.
Karl

"jim rozen" wrote in message
Finally darwin is starting to work here. Lady talking on cell phone
drives her SUV over a bridge into the river in Oregon:

http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY[news]=ID&ID[news]=1832

Score one for those who *do* drive responsibly.

Jim

please reply to:

Bernd

In her defense, according to news coverage (we get the Portland
stations)
she was using a hands free device, but was driving in rainy
conditions. The
crash was apparently caused by sliding, not inattention.

That's what happens when you believe those commercials that says these
things will just about drive themseleves in any kind of weather and how
save they are.

What surprises
me is how easily the SUV took out the guard rail.

Well, what 2 tons maybe, will take out quite a few items. So big isn't
better all the time. Had she been driving a smaller vehicle the guard
rail might have held her from going into the river.

No, I don't approve of talking on the phone while one drives, with our
without hands. No need to comment.

I don't either, but think back to the days when many had CB radios. One
hand on the wheel the other held the mike. Truckers still use them
today. Haven't heard of anyone having an accident using a CB radio.

Bernd

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 06:55:23 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

In article ,

But on the other hand, she gets plenty of extra points for style... An
SUV over the side... And she was yapping on her cell phone... Cosmic
justice WAS served, here, methinks...

SUV, aka "status utility vehicle"
Robert Swinney

" In her defense, according to news coverage (we get the Portland stations)
she was using a hands free device,"

See, toldja! "Hands free device" . . . meant that there bad old RF was
even closer to her brain!

Bob Swinney

"Don Bruder" wrote in message
In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

[...]

Gunner

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:14:33 GMT, "Bernd"

[...]

Quite true. While there is in any communication endevour a shifting
of attention...it largely falls on the type of driver and their skill
set,

Like diving for a dropped cassette tape, or hunting in the glove box
or purse for something...even CB radio CAN cause an accident. I think
I know of one in the last 25 yrs.

Its been my experience as a professional driver ( I do at least 65,000
miles a year) that the people that get in trouble...are usually air
heads or type A personalities and would be involved in accidents even
without cell phones. The cell phone simply gives them one more reason
to go stupid.

This is NOT the majority of people btw..but a very small fraction. If
it were the majority..we would be having far more 18 wheeler crashes
as they also use cell phones along with their CBs.

Ive seen some of the damnedest behavior on the road by idiots. Playing
the guitar, reading paperbacks, using a laptop, changing a babies
diaper, having sex etc etc. These folks are either very good at
multitasking, or a hiway stat waiting to happen.

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider

D Murphy

Gunner wrote in
:

[...]

I drive a lot as well. Just when you think you've seen it all some idiot
will show you something new. I've seen some pretty horrific car crashes.
Enough that I always wear my seatbelt. I saw where a study was done and it
showed which astrological signs were the worst drivers. I couldn't find it
on line but Google returned this:
http://www.detnews.com/2002/commutin...d06-588867.htm
Looks to be the same study. Interesting.

--

Dan

Ron DeBlock

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:14:33 +0000, Bernd wrote:

I don't either, but think back to the days when many had CB radios. One
hand on the wheel the other held the mike. Truckers still use them
today. Haven't heard of anyone having an accident using a CB radio.

Truckers are trained professionals, most of them are excellent drivers.
And, most CB and ham radio conversations are general BSing and don't
require a lot of thought. For me, cell phone conversations tend to be
about work, or figuring out who's gonna pick up which kid, and remember
to pick up a list of things on the way home - they require more
concentration.

On the OT topic, I saw an Excursion driving lady, yapping on the phone
(handheld, illegal in NJ) nearly get T-boned by a loaded dump truck. She
didn't yield as she negotiated the traffic circle. Props to the trucker,
I don't know how he avoided the SUV and kept his rig upright,
horn blaring, tires screeching and smoking. I'll bet the lady needed a
change of underwear, but I doubt she learned anything.

-Ron

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Ron DeBlock" wrote in message
news
[...]

That type rarely does. They're more inclined to look at the other person as
having been in the wrong. Some folks just don't get it.

Harold

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:35:54 -0800, the inscrutable "Harold and Susan
Vordos" spake:

"Ron DeBlock" wrote in message
On the OT topic, I saw an Excursion driving lady, yapping on the phone
(handheld, illegal in NJ) nearly get T-boned by a loaded dump truck. She
didn't yield as she negotiated the traffic circle. Props to the trucker,
I don't know how he avoided the SUV and kept his rig upright,
horn blaring, tires screeching and smoking. I'll bet the lady needed a
change of underwear, but I doubt she learned anything.

That type rarely does. They're more inclined to look at the other person as
having been in the wrong. Some folks just don't get it.

Yeah, where's Darwin when you need him?

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
Scott Moore

jim rozen wrote:
Finally darwin is starting to work here. Lady talking on cell phone
drives her SUV over a bridge into the river in Oregon:

http://www.koin.com/news.asp?RECORD_KEY[news]=ID&ID[news]=1832

Score one for those who *do* drive responsibly.

Jim

Can you hang on for a minute ? I have to escape from my sinking car....

Scott Moore

Bernd wrote:

In her defense, according to news coverage (we get the Portland
stations)
she was using a hands free device, but was driving in rainy
conditions. The
crash was apparently caused by sliding, not inattention.

That's what happens when you believe those commercials that says these
things will just about drive themseleves in any kind of weather and how
save they are.

So you are saying the drivers side TV set was a bad idea ?

Scott Moore

Bernd wrote:

I don't either, but think back to the days when many had CB radios. One
hand on the wheel the other held the mike. Truckers still use them
today. Haven't heard of anyone having an accident using a CB radio.

Bernd

What amuses me is the contrast between cars and airplanes. Pilots think
nothing of having to tune 2 radios, talk to the controllers, and write
down instructions, all while flying through driving rain and turbulence
that threatens to shove your pen up your nose.

Frank Stutzman

Scott Moore wrote:

What amuses me is the contrast between cars and airplanes. Pilots think
nothing of having to tune 2 radios, talk to the controllers, and write
down instructions, all while flying through driving rain and turbulence
that threatens to shove your pen up your nose.

True, but there are factors us pilots don't have to deal with that are
commonplace on the road. The biggest is there is typically nothing to
hit. I can tell you I sure ain't tuning radios or talking to controllers
when I'm the third ship in a 4 ship formation.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
What amuses me is the contrast between cars and airplanes. Pilots think
nothing of having to tune 2 radios, talk to the controllers, and write
down instructions, all while flying through driving rain and turbulence
that threatens to shove your pen up your nose.

Yeah, but it takes an intensely attentive person to fly well IFR. I can
remember the first time I had to land. I swore there was no way any one
human could do all the things necessary in the thirty seconds between short
downwind leg and touching down. It pretty quickly became muscle memory.
Then I could use my mind to "check up" on what my hands were doing, instead
of having to order them around.
It got worse when I had to fly by IFR approach plates. It was like learning
to fly all over again.

Most drivers have _never_ had the high level of focus necessary to do more
than one or two simple tasks at a time. Driving taxes their skills. Add
one silly distraction, and they're off the road.

LLoyd

jim rozen

In article . net, Lloyd E.
Sponenburgh says...

Most drivers have _never_ had the high level of focus necessary to do more
than one or two simple tasks at a time. Driving taxes their skills. Add
one silly distraction, and they're off the road.

Yep. And this *one* time the person didn't endanger any other
road users, as they usually do. This time, she splashed only
herself. Would that all cell phone users see the light in
such a dramatic fashion.

I'm willing to bet big that she was one of those who said
"I'm a really skilled driver. I can drive and talk at the
same blub blub glug glug glug....."

Jim

please reply to:

Mike Fields

Well, there is always the favorite cloud ... "cumulo granite" or that
famous last quote "say, what is that mountain goat doing up here in
the clouds" ...

My favorite was always "nothing more useless than runway behind
you and altitude above you"

mikey

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
Scott Moore wrote:

What amuses me is the contrast between cars and airplanes. Pilots think
nothing of having to tune 2 radios, talk to the controllers, and write
down instructions, all while flying through driving rain and turbulence
that threatens to shove your pen up your nose.

True, but there are factors us pilots don't have to deal with that are
commonplace on the road. The biggest is there is typically nothing to
hit. I can tell you I sure ain't tuning radios or talking to controllers
when I'm the third ship in a 4 ship formation.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"
Hood River, OR

Lew Hartswick

Scott Moore wrote:
Bernd wrote:

I don't either, but think back to the days when many had CB radios. One
hand on the wheel the other held the mike. Truckers still use them
today. Haven't heard of anyone having an accident using a CB radio.

Bernd

What amuses me is the contrast between cars and airplanes. Pilots think
nothing of having to tune 2 radios, talk to the controllers, and write
down instructions, all while flying through driving rain and turbulence
that threatens to shove your pen up your nose.

Yea and the friendly ATC man is insuring the seperation to the nearest
other airplane. The pilot dosent even need to look out the window. :-)
...lew...

Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article . net, Lloyd

E.
Sponenburgh says...

Most drivers have _never_ had the high level of focus necessary to do

more
than one or two simple tasks at a time. Driving taxes their skills. Add
one silly distraction, and they're off the road.

Yep. And this *one* time the person didn't endanger any other
road users, as they usually do. This time, she splashed only
herself.

Nope! From the report I saw, she started sliding into oncoming traffic, and
over corrected, which shot her into the protective railing. She
endangered anyone and everyone. I firmly believe that had she been
concentrating on her driving instead of bull****ing on the phone, she'd have
likely escaped the wreck.

I'm willing to bet big that she was one of those who said
"I'm a really skilled driver. I can drive and talk at the
same blub blub glug glug glug....."

Jim

Chuckle!

I'm inclined to agree.

Harold

Frank Stutzman

Mike Fields wrote:
Well, there is always the favorite cloud ... "cumulo granite" or that
famous last quote "say, what is that mountain goat doing up here in
the clouds" ...

Depends on how you fly.

Once I get up to my long distance cruising altitude (usually over 14,000)
there is no cumulo granite anywhere within the range of my plane from
home base.

There are always other planes to run into, but the mid-teens tend to be
pretty empty.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Frank Stutzman

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Yea and the friendly ATC man is insuring the seperation to the nearest
other airplane. The pilot dosent even need to look out the window. :-)

Untrue.

US ATC only insures separation for aircraft in instrument meterological
conditions or above 18,000 (and maybe not even then, I'm not sure).

With some digging I could specify the FAR where this is stated, if you
like.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"