Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
What amuses me is the contrast between cars and airplanes. Pilots think
nothing of having to tune 2 radios, talk to the controllers, and write
down instructions, all while flying through driving rain and turbulence
that threatens to shove your pen up your nose.

Yeah, but it takes an intensely attentive person to fly well IFR. I can
remember the first time I had to land. I swore there was no way any one
human could do all the things necessary in the thirty seconds between short
downwind leg and touching down. It pretty quickly became muscle memory.
Then I could use my mind to "check up" on what my hands were doing, instead
of having to order them around.
It got worse when I had to fly by IFR approach plates. It was like learning
to fly all over again.

Most drivers have _never_ had the high level of focus necessary to do more
than one or two simple tasks at a time. Driving taxes their skills. Add
one silly distraction, and they're off the road.

LLoyd