D Murphy

Gunner wrote in
:

Quite true. While there is in any communication endevour a shifting
of attention...it largely falls on the type of driver and their skill
set,

Like diving for a dropped cassette tape, or hunting in the glove box
or purse for something...even CB radio CAN cause an accident. I think
I know of one in the last 25 yrs.

Its been my experience as a professional driver ( I do at least 65,000
miles a year) that the people that get in trouble...are usually air
heads or type A personalities and would be involved in accidents even
without cell phones. The cell phone simply gives them one more reason
to go stupid.

This is NOT the majority of people btw..but a very small fraction. If
it were the majority..we would be having far more 18 wheeler crashes
as they also use cell phones along with their CBs.

Ive seen some of the damnedest behavior on the road by idiots. Playing
the guitar, reading paperbacks, using a laptop, changing a babies
diaper, having sex etc etc. These folks are either very good at
multitasking, or a hiway stat waiting to happen

I drive a lot as well. Just when you think you've seen it all some idiot
will show you something new. I've seen some pretty horrific car crashes.
Enough that I always wear my seatbelt. I saw where a study was done and it
showed which astrological signs were the worst drivers. I couldn't find it
on line but Google returned this:
http://www.detnews.com/2002/commutin...d06-588867.htm
Looks to be the same study. Interesting.

--

Dan