Gunner

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:14:33 GMT, "Bernd"

In her defense, according to news coverage (we get the Portland
stations)
she was using a hands free device, but was driving in rainy
conditions. The
crash was apparently caused by sliding, not inattention.

That's what happens when you believe those commercials that says these
things will just about drive themseleves in any kind of weather and how
save they are.

What surprises
me is how easily the SUV took out the guard rail.

Well, what 2 tons maybe, will take out quite a few items. So big isn't
better all the time. Had she been driving a smaller vehicle the guard
rail might have held her from going into the river.

No, I don't approve of talking on the phone while one drives, with our
without hands. No need to comment.

I don't either, but think back to the days when many had CB radios. One
hand on the wheel the other held the mike. Truckers still use them
today. Haven't heard of anyone having an accident using a CB radio.

Bernd

Quite true. While there is in any communication endevour a shifting
of attention...it largely falls on the type of driver and their skill
set,

Like diving for a dropped cassette tape, or hunting in the glove box
or purse for something...even CB radio CAN cause an accident. I think
I know of one in the last 25 yrs.

Its been my experience as a professional driver ( I do at least 65,000
miles a year) that the people that get in trouble...are usually air
heads or type A personalities and would be involved in accidents even
without cell phones. The cell phone simply gives them one more reason
to go stupid.

This is NOT the majority of people btw..but a very small fraction. If
it were the majority..we would be having far more 18 wheeler crashes
as they also use cell phones along with their CBs.

Ive seen some of the damnedest behavior on the road by idiots. Playing
the guitar, reading paperbacks, using a laptop, changing a babies
diaper, having sex etc etc. These folks are either very good at
multitasking, or a hiway stat waiting to happen.

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider