Martin

Default 80cc Bike Engine Conversion

Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price, since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts, and a
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

Vaughn Simon

"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone actually ordered one of these,

Does anyone else smell SPAM around here?

Vaughn

wallster

"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price, since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts, and a
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

nah... add a couple bucks and get this one:
http://www.bosshosscountry.com/

walt

Jim Stewart

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Has anyone actually ordered one of these,

Does anyone else smell SPAM around here?

It certainly could have been. I still found the
site pretty interesting. The little 2-stroke has
a great retro look to it.

Martin

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone actually ordered one of these,

Does anyone else smell SPAM around here?

Vaughn

No spam here. I am personally interested in such vehicles, and found
that site during one of my frequent searches. I posted the question to
this group, and this group alone, because as a longtime participant I
have read discussions indicating that we have quite a few guys with
experience motorizing a bicycle. These are the type of people likely
to have checked out the item for which I supplied a link.

In looking at the engine kit (did you check it out, or just give me a
knee-jerk reply?), I thought that it offered quite a bit for $160. For
example, the resurrected "Whizzer" company here in Dallas wants about
$700 for their engine kit.

The Whizzer components are manufactured in Taiwan. I assume this $160
kit is a Chinese knockoff of something, and I was genuinely hoping to
find someone who had been brave enough (or maybe lived near the
supplier) to check one out.

best regards,

Martin

tomcas

wallster wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price, since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts, and a
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

nah... add a couple bucks and get this one:
http://www.bosshosscountry.com/

walt

You don't want one of those under powered 8 cylinder bikes, you want one
of these:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...odge_Cycle.htm
RellikJM

FWIW Here in Colorado anything over 50 cc's requires a motorcycle license ,
insurance and registration. I don't know where you plan on using it but
something to think about.

RellikJM

"Martin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

tomcas

Martin wrote:
Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price, since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts, and a
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

Here is a review
http://moped2.org/reviews/read.asp?n...ilename=motors

and of course they are even cheaper on Ebay

My gut reaction is, I like it.
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:43:16 -0500, the inscrutable tomcas
spake:

wallster wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

nah... add a couple bucks and get this one:
http://www.bosshosscountry.com/

You don't want one of those under powered 8 cylinder bikes, you want one
of these:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...odge_Cycle.htm

Shades of TRON! Nah, get some biodiesel and run this puppy:

http://www.bikemenu.com/Jesse%20Jame...%20Garage.html

--
I speak 2 languages fluently: English and foul.
---------------------------

Martin

I imagine there are lots of applications. Many folks have a motorcycle
license, and registration/insurance for a moped is not expensive. On
the other hand, I can imagine scenarios where one would not bother,
such as using it to cruise the non-public streets of a large RV park,
etc. Of course, you could always pedal it anywhere (no license
required to carry an engine around as dead weight) and use the engine
for assist when you think violation risk is low.

I don't think the 50cc restriction is universal. For example, when I
was a kid in Tennessee, the dividing line between "motorcycle" and
"motor-driven cycle" was 5 HP, regardless of displacement. We all rode
90cc Honda motorcycles when we were 14 (moped legal age), thanks to an
enterprising dealer who installed (easily-altered) throttle blocks
above the carburetor slides and certified them as 5 HP.

Martin

RellikJM wrote:
FWIW Here in Colorado anything over 50 cc's requires a motorcycle

license ,
insurance and registration. I don't know where you plan on using it

but
something to think about.

RellikJM

"Martin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Martin

tomcas wrote:
Martin wrote:
Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price,

since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts,

and a
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

Here is a review

http://moped2.org/reviews/read.asp?n...ilename=motors

and of course they are even cheaper on Ebay

My gut reaction is, I like it.

Thanks for the links. From the reviews, it appears that there may be
some issue with piston galling and seizures. Maybe the chinese aren't
that careful what metals they allow to rub together. I note that the
ebay seller offers complete replacement engines for $80, though. What
a deal!

Martin

Ted

tomcas wrote:

You don't want one of those under powered 8 cylinder bikes, you want one
of these:

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewsArchive...odge_Cycle.htm

That's not a motorcycle. It has more than two wheels.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR
tomcas

Martin wrote:

Thanks for the links. From the reviews, it appears that there may be
some issue with piston galling and seizures. Maybe the chinese aren't
that careful what metals they allow to rub together. I note that the
ebay seller offers complete replacement engines for $80, though. What
a deal!

Martin

Much of this galling problem has to to do with two lubrication problems
as opposed to quality problems.
Some people use the wrong oil, and most people make the mistake of using
the manufactures recommended ratios. These ratios are intentionally
weaned out to satisfy the environmentalist. After cooking a brand new
leaf blower with 40 to 1, I switched to 16 to 1 (or 20 to 1) on
everything,across the board, old or new. 5 years later and I have not
had any problems with string trimmers, leaf blowers, and chainsaws.

Eric R Snow

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:23:20 -0500, tomcas
wrote:

Martin wrote:

Thanks for the links. From the reviews, it appears that there may be
some issue with piston galling and seizures. Maybe the chinese aren't
that careful what metals they allow to rub together. I note that the
ebay seller offers complete replacement engines for $80, though. What
a deal!

Martin

Much of this galling problem has to to do with two lubrication problems
as opposed to quality problems.
Some people use the wrong oil, and most people make the mistake of using
the manufactures recommended ratios. These ratios are intentionally
weaned out to satisfy the environmentalist. After cooking a brand new
leaf blower with 40 to 1, I switched to 16 to 1 (or 20 to 1) on
everything,across the board, old or new. 5 years later and I have not
had any problems with string trimmers, leaf blowers, and chainsaws.

The oil I use is called Opti-Lube or some thing like that. It has Opti
as the first part of the name. When used according to the package
directions the mix ratio is about 100 to 1. It works very well. I use
it in all my 2 stroke motors. Chain saw, outboard, etc.. I called the
company when using it for the first time several years ago and spoke
to the company president. He told me that he collects antique
outboards and he uses the oil at 100 to 1 in the old motors. They will
replace any motor that fails from lack of lube, such as galling or
bearing failure, free of charge. It's more expensive by volume but
about the same by use as other oils. The motors run much better with
the leaner mixture and plugs foul much less. Here is the web site:
http://www.opti2-4.com/ . I have no connection with any company making
or selling this stuff. It just works very well.
ERS
Martin

In addition to the other comments, I wonder about the sprocket sizes.
The rear sprocket is small enough that I doubt this could be
direct-drive off the crankshaft, yet there is no mention of a
transmission. I wonder if it just has a simple on-board gear
reduction?

Martin

Martin wrote:
Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price, since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts, and

gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

Martin

Don't you just love the "plain-english" descriptions? The kit is made
in China, but supposedly the dealer is in Missouri. So, does this 60cc
kit have a clutch lever? And is he saying that you'll have to come up
with your own, wider, crankshaft?

from the web site:
It is an Automatic bicycle motor, It does not have a clutch lever. It
has a centrifugal clutch when throttle handle is turned and rpm begins
and you go just like a gas scooter. New improved bearings, wider cranks
will be needed. Gets around 150 miles on a gallon of gas. With this kit
you can convert an ordinary bicycle into a gas powered bike. Operates
like a moped. You can pedal the bike or start the engine by releasing
the clutch lever.
Clear as mud, eh?

Martin

D.B. wrote:
In the picture, there is a big lump on the rear (right in
picture) of the crankcase. There is no reason for that on a
2-smoke without gear reduction, so that's probably the
internal gear reduction. Probably also acentrifical clutch
like the 60cc engine below it.

http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/Engine_Kit1.htm

3.5 hp is real dismal power for an 80cc 2-smoke, so it's
probably also a low speed engine for an 80cc. Even a not
too well designed 80cc 2 smoke shold be able to develop 3.5
hp at about 4,000 rpm.

Dick

Martin wrote:
Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price,

since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts,

and
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

Old Nick

On 20 Jan 2005 08:51:19 -0800, "Martin"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

when you think violation risk is low.

"when you think violation risk is low." hehe!

Don't you mean "when you think getting _caught_ risk is low."?

Old Nick

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:18:26 -0500, tomcas
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Martin wrote:
Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price, since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts, and a
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

Here is a review
http://moped2.org/reviews/read.asp?n...ilename=motors

Whicj pretty well seems to sum it up.....
Old Nick

Martin wrote:
Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price, since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts, and a
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

Here is a review
http://moped2.org/reviews/read.asp?n...ilename=motors

and of course they are even cheaper on Ebay

My gut reaction is, I like it.

Oh....what about those reviews? Two out of three were loser....

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:32:54 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

Martin wrote:
Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price, since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting parts, and a
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

best regards,

Martin

Here is a review
http://moped2.org/reviews/read.asp?n...ilename=motors

and of course they are even cheaper on Ebay

My gut reaction is, I like it.

Oh....what about those reviews? Two out of three were loser....

What, the two who said "Do you know anything about these things?"
The price is sure nicer at $135 than the Sumbitchy at $699 or the
Tecumseh at $399.

--

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.

Old Nick

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:33:25 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

" installed this kit on a Schwinn Stingray. With the 50 tooth sprocket
the top
speed is aprox. 35mph. The mileage is about 70 mpg. Upgrading the seat
to a Bell
definitely improves the experience- no suspension. The plastic
tensioner,the cables-gas and
clutch are of low utility and should be replaced. Torque and power are
a feature of
this motor as is vibration. Parts not loc-tited will eject, the spark
plug connection
disintigrates, and the exhaust must be fabricated as just bolting on
the supplied system has
issues with ground clearance and an ejection problem. As a package it
is addictive to
operate, and the public reaction has been great."

"This kit that you see on e-bay is really quite CHEAP and I don`t mean
price
wise. It`s made in China so what do you expect? you get what you pay
for. When I got
my kit I literally had to rebuild or replace everything, clutch cabel,
carb, broken
ignition wire etc. The motor ran for about two mile before it seized
up on me and yes I
had the proper oil to gas mixture. I think a person is better off
getting a
tecumseh or honda engine which can be easily serviced. Unless you are
a mechanic, it`s
hard to find somebody to service these skyhawk motors plus parts have
to be ordered.
Personal pet peeve is that everything is METRIC"

Oh....what about those reviews? Two out of three were loser....

What, the two who said "Do you know anything about these things?"
The price is sure nicer at $135 than the Sumbitchy at $699 or the
Tecumseh at $399.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:38:20 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

[...]

That's not a loser review, it's positive, but points out the
weaknesses. Loc-tite is a given on every screw on every motorcycle.
Yes, ground clearance on a Stingray is a given, and cables are a
standard, high-maintenance part, as usual. On the positive side,
he says the thing is addictive, torquey, and powerful, with public
reaction great. This was the one valid review, IMHO.

"This kit that you see on e-bay is really quite CHEAP and I don`t mean
price
wise. It`s made in China so what do you expect? you get what you pay
for. When I got
my kit I literally had to rebuild or replace everything, clutch cabel,
carb, broken
ignition wire etc. The motor ran for about two mile before it seized
up on me and yes I
had the proper oil to gas mixture. I think a person is better off
getting a
tecumseh or honda engine which can be easily serviced. Unless you are
a mechanic, it`s
hard to find somebody to service these skyhawk motors plus parts have
to be ordered.
Personal pet peeve is that everything is METRIC"

Yes, this review (and I believe the reviewer) was a loser. I
discounted it due to the 100% whine factor (there were NO positive
points), misspellings, and his metric statement. Anyone with a
problem about metrical whosawhatsits doesn't belong in this era.
(As a recovering mechanic in the USA, with 2 sets of tools, I
should know. I lived through it 30 years ago.)

SOLUTIONS:

As to the availability of parts, at this price, one could buy 2
kits (2/3 the price of the next offering) and keep one for spares
until parts become more readily available.

OR buy 10 kits. Build one, keep one, and sell 8 in pieces as spare
parts for a 3x markup.

OR buy an extra kit, cast or machine replacement parts of much higher
quality and sell at a premium. -- total metal content

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.
--anon

jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

...Loc-tite is a given on every screw on every motorcycle.

Safety wire, cotter pins for critical stuff. I've gotten
tired of retrieving my mufflers from the roadside so the
hanger bolts are cross-drilled and cotter pinned. Haven't
lost one yet since then!

Jim

please reply to:

Old Nick

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 06:40:14 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

So you are happy with a thing that falls to pieces, because the guy
finally says "Oh well, that's alright. It's a good toy". But the guy
who simply says it fell to pieces should be discounted?

I _never_ used loctite on my bikes, unless to rebuild stuff, in
special situations. I _never_ had anything, except me, fall off, that
I can remember. I rode _only_ bikes for over 15 years. Hundreds of
thousands of Ks. I still have a 1976 Honda CB750. Nothing ever fell
off it.

OTOH, I never bought a Duc or a Brit bike either! G

That's not a loser review, it's positive, but points out the
weaknesses. Loc-tite is a given on every screw on every motorcycle.
Yes, ground clearance on a Stingray is a given, and cables are a
standard, high-maintenance part, as usual. On the positive side,
he says the thing is addictive, torquey, and powerful, with public
reaction great. This was the one valid review, IMHO.

Yes, this review (and I believe the reviewer) was a loser. I
discounted it due to the 100% whine factor (there were NO positive
points), misspellings, and his metric statement. Anyone with a
problem about metrical whosawhatsits doesn't belong in this era.
(As a recovering mechanic in the USA, with 2 sets of tools, I
should know. I lived through it 30 years ago.)

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:11:42 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 06:40:14 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

So you are happy with a thing that falls to pieces, because the guy
finally says "Oh well, that's alright. It's a good toy". But the guy
who simply says it fell to pieces should be discounted?

You and I know it's going to shed parts. Vibratory things do that,
and that's why Loc-Tite was born. but the second (clueless) guy
would be unhappy if the thing ran out of gas, too. "It won't run."
We can't help him much. (He should have known better.)

I _never_ used loctite on my bikes, unless to rebuild stuff, in
special situations. I _never_ had anything, except me, fall off, that
I can remember. I rode _only_ bikes for over 15 years. Hundreds of
thousands of Ks. I still have a 1976 Honda CB750. Nothing ever fell
off it.

Q: How often did you ride any of those wide open at full RPM for hours
at a time? That's closer to the application of these bike motors.
While motorcycles have trannies, allowing you to use the highest gear
for the cruise, bike motors are run flat out for the duration. They
shake a whole lot more with less mass to dampen it, too.

I helped a guy keep his Husky 400 (The Trencher) running an actually
rode it once. When it hit the pipe, the front end came up so quickly
that it was nearly vertical before I could close the throttle. (I
changed my shorts as soon as I got home, too.) In any case, we used
a case of loc-tite (both red and blue) on that thing over a few year
period. It even ate through the -blue- (permanent) stuff!

OTOH, I never bought a Duc or a Brit bike either! G

Nor did I. I had an unfinished project bike (CZ 250) for a year, but
sold it unridden, and I had a Kawasaki 90, a gift from Dad for my
15-1/2 birthday, the day I got my driving permit. I think I found
every cul-de-sac, trail, street in North Sandy Eggo County in the 6
months before I could drive a car legally, by myself.

But I've owned no real scoots.

Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com
or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications

Old Nick

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:23:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:11:42 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 06:40:14 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

So you are happy with a thing that falls to pieces, because the guy
finally says "Oh well, that's alright. It's a good toy". But the guy
who simply says it fell to pieces should be discounted?

You and I know it's going to shed parts. Vibratory things do that,
and that's why Loc-Tite was born.

Not if they're properly put together. Not in the quantities that
_both_ the posters claimed.

but the second (clueless) guy

Stop attacking the guy and deal with the subject! Perhaps you
misunderstood my "loser" comment. It was ambiguous. I meant that the
comments made the _product_ a loser.

would be unhappy if the thing ran out of gas, too. "It won't run."
We can't help him much. (He should have known better.)

Well I can't say anything to that. Straw man. He was no more clueless
than the first guy. He said it seized. He pointed out that he used the
correct oil. He complained of the same things and decided the thing
was crap. I tend to agree.

I _never_ used loctite on my bikes, unless to rebuild stuff, in
special situations. I _never_ had anything, except me, fall off, that
I can remember. I rode _only_ bikes for over 15 years. Hundreds of
thousands of Ks. I still have a 1976 Honda CB750. Nothing ever fell
off it.

Q: How often did you ride any of those wide open at full RPM for hours
at a time?

You challenge me. I hate dick waggling. But here, in order to support
my argument, I have to establish my boner fides (ark ark boom boom!).
So I waggle an old dick, and a few small ones........

hmmmmmmm....bikes let me see....in excess of 100 mph for 3.5 hours?
Once on a Honda 450, two-up, on a hot summer day. It did seize. I did
not complain. In that case I _was_ a loser. I bought my 750 and those
trips were then not irregular. Most weekends. And remember this was 20
years ago or so, when 100 mph was fast for a road bike. 120 mph was
tops for a 750, 130 for a 900. Some of that on "bendy" (well sort of
had a curve) roads, so I was in third or fourth. My bike did 200KPH
at 8000 RPM. I have held it there on a long stretch for 15 minutes,
the changed down and taken a corner, and kept going. When I had
extractors and a cam on it, I discovered a new power band one day at
11000 RPM (8000 old redline). I used not to run at that, out of sheer
fear of simply blowing the poor bugger to pieces, but it would get a
regular talking to.

I also used to do a lot of farm riding and scrambling on that 750.
Sand, bogs, down a creek gully once, and managed to get up the other
side. That was all _hard_ on an air-cooled, non-fanned engine.

All of this, apart from letting everybody know what a tough-...idiot I
was, shows that a well-designed machine can take stuff.

In the end I _did_ blow it up. Well, not quite, but I seized the cam.
Probably some of the bloody loctite got into the oil lines G. But I
take full responsibility.

The bugger of it was I was simply riding to work one morning.

I had 4 major prangs. In none of them was a doing more than 50 mph, or
even the speed limit. In one of them I was standing still.

That's closer to the application of these bike motors.
While motorcycles have trannies, allowing you to use the highest gear
for the cruise, bike motors are run flat out for the duration. They
shake a whole lot more with less mass to dampen it, too.

OK. I have just been out for 2.5 hours blowing leaves away from around
buildings with a 30cc 2-stroke blower. Flat chat. Full throttle.
Non-stop. Warm morning. Nothing fell off. It did not seize. My last
(Ryobi) did not seize either. What went on that POS were fuel lines,
and the tank, and the carb in the end, and it cost too much to buy
parts so it was easier to buy a new machine so I bought a "proper"
one.....Ahem...Sorry..

But nothing fell off. The guts of the motor were fine.

I have two chainsaws. Both Huskies. One is a "pro" model. If there's
any loctite, it was done for me. Nothing falls off. I have cut whole
trees up with that thing. Serious hardwood. I use TCT chains, because
of the wood. I don't stop to sharpen.

I also have a little 32 cc "home" model. It cost more than a Poulan
(read Husky) of the same size. But when things started falling off, I
complained alright. But I was told "It's not a pro model. What do you
expect?" Hello? I do not expect it to fall to pieces.

I helped a guy keep his Husky 400 (The Trencher) running an actually
rode it once. When it hit the pipe, the front end came up so quickly
that it was nearly vertical before I could close the throttle. (I
changed my shorts as soon as I got home, too.) In any case, we used
a case of loc-tite (both red and blue) on that thing over a few year
period. It even ate through the -blue- (permanent) stuff!

Come on! A trencher! BTW I have one of those too. No loctite. Well,
sorry. There may be. I bought it OLD. Nothing falls off. It does not
seize. It's a horrible old piece of **** to use. Hand held on wheels.
That's a pants-changer. But I agree, I watched the telecom guys
putting in the trench up my drive a few years back. The junior guy did
the driving! G

OTOH, I never bought a Duc or a Brit bike either! G

Nor did I. I had an unfinished project bike (CZ 250) for a year, but
sold it unridden, and I had a Kawasaki 90, a gift from Dad for my
15-1/2 birthday, the day I got my driving permit. I think I found
every cul-de-sac, trail, street in North Sandy Eggo County in the 6
months before I could drive a car legally, by myself.

But I've owned no real scoots.

Oh damn! I was hoping you would say a Harley and I could start a
_real_ argument! G

BTW. I have one big dick, but can't waggle it :- A dozer. Now things
DO fall off that. But Loctite would be pushing, there. And it's over
40 years old.

jim rozen

In article , Jim Stewart says...

What do you ride?

http://www.metalworking.com/RCM-gallery/files/Rozen,Jim/Bmw.jpg

The mufflers on those bikes are basically held on with
a *single* M8 machine screw. If that screw ever comes
undone, it's muffler jetison time.

And those damn things are *hot* when you go back to
pick them up!

"Boy, it's a good thing I could come around so fast
and get it off the road before somebody hits it.
Hey, what's that burning smell... YAAAAHHHHHH my
gloves are on fire!"

Jim

please reply to:
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:15:36 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:23:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory

You and I know it's going to shed parts. Vibratory things do that,
and that's why Loc-Tite was born.

Not if they're properly put together. Not in the quantities that
_both_ the posters claimed.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. We'll never know.

but the second (clueless) guy

Stop attacking the guy and deal with the subject! Perhaps you
misunderstood my "loser" comment. It was ambiguous. I meant that the
comments made the _product_ a loser.

I was trying to point out that since the reviewer was apparently
such as loser, we couldn't tell how good or bad the product really
was.

would be unhappy if the thing ran out of gas, too. "It won't run."
We can't help him much. (He should have known better.)

Well I can't say anything to that. Straw man. He was no more clueless
than the first guy. He said it seized. He pointed out that he used the
correct oil. He complained of the same things and decided the thing
was crap. I tend to agree.

Suuuure he used oil. Or maybe it was a bad unit. He had a real
bummer of a time with the whole thing, that's for sure. But we can
get away with a lesser machine because we know it's going to shed
parts. By "we" I mean people who work with their hands and heads.
The second kid didn't seem to be learning any lessons, which is why
I continue to pick on him. C'est la vie, wot?

Q: How often did you ride any of those wide open at full RPM for hours
at a time?

You challenge me. I hate dick waggling. But here, in order to support
my argument, I have to establish my boner fides (ark ark boom boom!).
So I waggle an old dick, and a few small ones........

hmmmmmmm....bikes let me see....in excess of 100 mph for 3.5 hours?
Once on a Honda 450, two-up, on a hot summer day. It did seize. I did

Did you get the clutch in before it ate a hole in the rear tire and
took you down? That can be scary. The guy I mentioned with the Husky
was riding a bored Kaw 100 on the freeway trying to outrun a cop when
it seizedat about 90mph. His left kneecap is now manmade.

not complain. In that case I _was_ a loser. I bought my 750 and those
trips were then not irregular. Most weekends. And remember this was 20
years ago or so, when 100 mph was fast for a road bike. 120 mph was
tops for a 750, 130 for a 900. Some of that on "bendy" (well sort of
had a curve) roads, so I was in third or fourth. My bike did 200KPH
at 8000 RPM. I have held it there on a long stretch for 15 minutes,
the changed down and taken a corner, and kept going. When I had
extractors and a cam on it, I discovered a new power band one day at
11000 RPM (8000 old redline). I used not to run at that, out of sheer
fear of simply blowing the poor bugger to pieces, but it would get a
regular talking to.

OK, enough waggling. I was talking about a teeny, massless motor being
run WOT for long periods. That is a totally different application,
more like mounting your bike motor to a conveyor belt system for UPS
(or Royal Mail) and winding it out for long periods.

OK. I have just been out for 2.5 hours blowing leaves away from around
buildings with a 30cc 2-stroke blower. Flat chat. Full throttle.
Non-stop. Warm morning. Nothing fell off. It did not seize. My last

Yabbut all the screws on those are special threads going into plastic.
No, they shouldn't seize.

I also have a little 32 cc "home" model. It cost more than a Poulan
(read Husky) of the same size. But when things started falling off, I
complained alright. But I was told "It's not a pro model. What do you
expect?" Hello? I do not expect it to fall to pieces.

That's what I use at my neighbor's house. I've tightened the bar bolts
3 times in-between sharpenings/chain replacements during 6 or 7 uses
now, about 8 hours total. But chainsaws aren't bolted to moving frames
going down bumpy roads with no suspension, either. Bikes are a nastier
environment.

I helped a guy keep his Husky 400 (The Trencher) running an actually
rode it once. When it hit the pipe, the front end came up so quickly
that it was nearly vertical before I could close the throttle. (I
changed my shorts as soon as I got home, too.) In any case, we used
a case of loc-tite (both red and blue) on that thing over a few year
period. It even ate through the -blue- (permanent) stuff!

Come on! A trencher! BTW I have one of those too. No loctite. Well,
sorry. There may be. I bought it OLD. Nothing falls off. It does not
seize. It's a horrible old piece of **** to use. Hand held on wheels.
That's a pants-changer. But I agree, I watched the telecom guys
putting in the trench up my drive a few years back. The junior guy did
the driving! G

We used to kid the cable guys that his services could be hired and
he'd save them a lot of shovel work if they let him do the trenching
with the Husky. We nicknamed the bike that after he showed me a fast
takeoff with his feet pushing about 10 lbs. each on the ground. It dug
in down to the axle in about 3 seconds. The largest rock in that scene
was about 5" in diameter. That was with the motocross knobby.

But I've owned no real scoots.

Oh damn! I was hoping you would say a Harley and I could start a
_real_ argument! G

Heh heh heh.

Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com
or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications

Old Nick

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:23:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Haha! Been giving this some thought. This discussion is easily solved.
You buy one, I won't. G.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:31:13 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:23:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Haha! Been giving this some thought. This discussion is easily solved.
You buy one, I won't. G.

It's a deal! Send the check to my regular address, Nick.

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Old Nick

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:16:16 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:31:13 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:23:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Haha! Been giving this some thought. This discussion is easily solved.
You buy one, I won't. G.

It's a deal! Send the check to my regular address, Nick.

OOOOKKAAAY! I tried to stop this. So you are saying that for all your
defence of the priduct, and your knocking of the guy who said it was
****, you will not pay for one yourself?

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:39:16 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:16:16 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:31:13 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:23:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Haha! Been giving this some thought. This discussion is easily solved.
You buy one, I won't. G.

It's a deal! Send the check to my regular address, Nick.

OOOOKKAAAY! I tried to stop this. So you are saying that for all your
defence of the priduct, and your knocking of the guy who said it was
****, you will not pay for one yourself?

Hell no. I'm way too cheap for that.

Never put off 'til tomorrow | http://www.diversify.com
what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Martin

This kit is belt drive? Do you have a link to the sales site? Cost?

Martin

Martin wrote:

tomcas wrote:
Martin wrote:
Has anyone actually ordered one of these, can you comment on the
quality/completeness of the kit? It seems like a decent price,

since
it seemingly includes all the handlebar controls, mounting

parts,
and a
gas tank.
Link: http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/home.htm

Replacement engine for Colemate Generator Robert Snyder Metalworking 12 August 23rd 04 03:31 AM
Lidl tools Michael Mcneil UK diy 87 July 14th 04 10:00 PM
Where to research really obscure engine designs Jon Anderson Metalworking 9 July 2nd 04 11:04 PM
'85 Toyota Truck - Engine Dilemma Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 33 September 25th 03 03:19 PM
Briggs & Stratton 5HP engine won't stay running Mistercmk Home Repair 17 September 23rd 03 07:11 PM