Larry Jaques

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:38:20 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:33:25 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

" installed this kit on a Schwinn Stingray. With the 50 tooth sprocket
the top
speed is aprox. 35mph. The mileage is about 70 mpg. Upgrading the seat
to a Bell
definitely improves the experience- no suspension. The plastic
tensioner,the cables-gas and
clutch are of low utility and should be replaced. Torque and power are
a feature of
this motor as is vibration. Parts not loc-tited will eject, the spark
plug connection
disintigrates, and the exhaust must be fabricated as just bolting on
the supplied system has
issues with ground clearance and an ejection problem. As a package it
is addictive to
operate, and the public reaction has been great."

That's not a loser review, it's positive, but points out the
weaknesses. Loc-tite is a given on every screw on every motorcycle.
Yes, ground clearance on a Stingray is a given, and cables are a
standard, high-maintenance part, as usual. On the positive side,
he says the thing is addictive, torquey, and powerful, with public
reaction great. This was the one valid review, IMHO.

"This kit that you see on e-bay is really quite CHEAP and I don`t mean
price
wise. It`s made in China so what do you expect? you get what you pay
for. When I got
my kit I literally had to rebuild or replace everything, clutch cabel,
carb, broken
ignition wire etc. The motor ran for about two mile before it seized
up on me and yes I
had the proper oil to gas mixture. I think a person is better off
getting a
tecumseh or honda engine which can be easily serviced. Unless you are
a mechanic, it`s
hard to find somebody to service these skyhawk motors plus parts have
to be ordered.
Personal pet peeve is that everything is METRIC"

Yes, this review (and I believe the reviewer) was a loser. I
discounted it due to the 100% whine factor (there were NO positive
points), misspellings, and his metric statement. Anyone with a
problem about metrical whosawhatsits doesn't belong in this era.
(As a recovering mechanic in the USA, with 2 sets of tools, I
should know. I lived through it 30 years ago.)

SOLUTIONS:

As to the availability of parts, at this price, one could buy 2
kits (2/3 the price of the next offering) and keep one for spares
until parts become more readily available.

OR buy 10 kits. Build one, keep one, and sell 8 in pieces as spare
parts for a 3x markup.

OR buy an extra kit, cast or machine replacement parts of much higher
quality and sell at a premium. -- total metal content

People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but
most of the time they'll pick themselves up and carry on.
--anon