Larry Jaques

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:15:36 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:23:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory

You and I know it's going to shed parts. Vibratory things do that,
and that's why Loc-Tite was born.

Not if they're properly put together. Not in the quantities that
_both_ the posters claimed.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. We'll never know.

but the second (clueless) guy

Stop attacking the guy and deal with the subject! Perhaps you
misunderstood my "loser" comment. It was ambiguous. I meant that the
comments made the _product_ a loser.

I was trying to point out that since the reviewer was apparently
such as loser, we couldn't tell how good or bad the product really
was.

would be unhappy if the thing ran out of gas, too. "It won't run."
We can't help him much. (He should have known better.)

Well I can't say anything to that. Straw man. He was no more clueless
than the first guy. He said it seized. He pointed out that he used the
correct oil. He complained of the same things and decided the thing
was crap. I tend to agree.

Suuuure he used oil. Or maybe it was a bad unit. He had a real
bummer of a time with the whole thing, that's for sure. But we can
get away with a lesser machine because we know it's going to shed
parts. By "we" I mean people who work with their hands and heads.
The second kid didn't seem to be learning any lessons, which is why
I continue to pick on him. C'est la vie, wot?

Q: How often did you ride any of those wide open at full RPM for hours
at a time?

You challenge me. I hate dick waggling. But here, in order to support
my argument, I have to establish my boner fides (ark ark boom boom!).
So I waggle an old dick, and a few small ones........

hmmmmmmm....bikes let me see....in excess of 100 mph for 3.5 hours?
Once on a Honda 450, two-up, on a hot summer day. It did seize. I did

Did you get the clutch in before it ate a hole in the rear tire and
took you down? That can be scary. The guy I mentioned with the Husky
was riding a bored Kaw 100 on the freeway trying to outrun a cop when
it seizedat about 90mph. His left kneecap is now manmade.

not complain. In that case I _was_ a loser. I bought my 750 and those
trips were then not irregular. Most weekends. And remember this was 20
years ago or so, when 100 mph was fast for a road bike. 120 mph was
tops for a 750, 130 for a 900. Some of that on "bendy" (well sort of
had a curve) roads, so I was in third or fourth. My bike did 200KPH
at 8000 RPM. I have held it there on a long stretch for 15 minutes,
the changed down and taken a corner, and kept going. When I had
extractors and a cam on it, I discovered a new power band one day at
11000 RPM (8000 old redline). I used not to run at that, out of sheer
fear of simply blowing the poor bugger to pieces, but it would get a
regular talking to.

OK, enough waggling. I was talking about a teeny, massless motor being
run WOT for long periods. That is a totally different application,
more like mounting your bike motor to a conveyor belt system for UPS
(or Royal Mail) and winding it out for long periods.

OK. I have just been out for 2.5 hours blowing leaves away from around
buildings with a 30cc 2-stroke blower. Flat chat. Full throttle.
Non-stop. Warm morning. Nothing fell off. It did not seize. My last

Yabbut all the screws on those are special threads going into plastic.
No, they shouldn't seize.

I also have a little 32 cc "home" model. It cost more than a Poulan
(read Husky) of the same size. But when things started falling off, I
complained alright. But I was told "It's not a pro model. What do you
expect?" Hello? I do not expect it to fall to pieces.

That's what I use at my neighbor's house. I've tightened the bar bolts
3 times in-between sharpenings/chain replacements during 6 or 7 uses
now, about 8 hours total. But chainsaws aren't bolted to moving frames
going down bumpy roads with no suspension, either. Bikes are a nastier
environment.

I helped a guy keep his Husky 400 (The Trencher) running an actually
rode it once. When it hit the pipe, the front end came up so quickly
that it was nearly vertical before I could close the throttle. (I
changed my shorts as soon as I got home, too.) In any case, we used
a case of loc-tite (both red and blue) on that thing over a few year
period. It even ate through the -blue- (permanent) stuff!

Come on! A trencher! BTW I have one of those too. No loctite. Well,
sorry. There may be. I bought it OLD. Nothing falls off. It does not
seize. It's a horrible old piece of **** to use. Hand held on wheels.
That's a pants-changer. But I agree, I watched the telecom guys
putting in the trench up my drive a few years back. The junior guy did
the driving! G

We used to kid the cable guys that his services could be hired and
he'd save them a lot of shovel work if they let him do the trenching
with the Husky. We nicknamed the bike that after he showed me a fast
takeoff with his feet pushing about 10 lbs. each on the ground. It dug
in down to the axle in about 3 seconds. The largest rock in that scene
was about 5" in diameter. That was with the motocross knobby.

But I've owned no real scoots.

Oh damn! I was hoping you would say a Harley and I could start a
_real_ argument! G

Heh heh heh.

Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com
or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications