Old Nick

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:23:51 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:11:42 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 06:40:14 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

So you are happy with a thing that falls to pieces, because the guy
finally says "Oh well, that's alright. It's a good toy". But the guy
who simply says it fell to pieces should be discounted?

You and I know it's going to shed parts. Vibratory things do that,
and that's why Loc-Tite was born.

Not if they're properly put together. Not in the quantities that
_both_ the posters claimed.

but the second (clueless) guy

Stop attacking the guy and deal with the subject! Perhaps you
misunderstood my "loser" comment. It was ambiguous. I meant that the
comments made the _product_ a loser.

would be unhappy if the thing ran out of gas, too. "It won't run."
We can't help him much. (He should have known better.)

Well I can't say anything to that. Straw man. He was no more clueless
than the first guy. He said it seized. He pointed out that he used the
correct oil. He complained of the same things and decided the thing
was crap. I tend to agree.

I _never_ used loctite on my bikes, unless to rebuild stuff, in
special situations. I _never_ had anything, except me, fall off, that
I can remember. I rode _only_ bikes for over 15 years. Hundreds of
thousands of Ks. I still have a 1976 Honda CB750. Nothing ever fell
off it.

Q: How often did you ride any of those wide open at full RPM for hours
at a time?

You challenge me. I hate dick waggling. But here, in order to support
my argument, I have to establish my boner fides (ark ark boom boom!).
So I waggle an old dick, and a few small ones........

hmmmmmmm....bikes let me see....in excess of 100 mph for 3.5 hours?
Once on a Honda 450, two-up, on a hot summer day. It did seize. I did
not complain. In that case I _was_ a loser. I bought my 750 and those
trips were then not irregular. Most weekends. And remember this was 20
years ago or so, when 100 mph was fast for a road bike. 120 mph was
tops for a 750, 130 for a 900. Some of that on "bendy" (well sort of
had a curve) roads, so I was in third or fourth. My bike did 200KPH
at 8000 RPM. I have held it there on a long stretch for 15 minutes,
the changed down and taken a corner, and kept going. When I had
extractors and a cam on it, I discovered a new power band one day at
11000 RPM (8000 old redline). I used not to run at that, out of sheer
fear of simply blowing the poor bugger to pieces, but it would get a
regular talking to.

I also used to do a lot of farm riding and scrambling on that 750.
Sand, bogs, down a creek gully once, and managed to get up the other
side. That was all _hard_ on an air-cooled, non-fanned engine.

All of this, apart from letting everybody know what a tough-...idiot I
was, shows that a well-designed machine can take stuff.

In the end I _did_ blow it up. Well, not quite, but I seized the cam.
Probably some of the bloody loctite got into the oil lines G. But I
take full responsibility.

The bugger of it was I was simply riding to work one morning.

I had 4 major prangs. In none of them was a doing more than 50 mph, or
even the speed limit. In one of them I was standing still.

That's closer to the application of these bike motors.
While motorcycles have trannies, allowing you to use the highest gear
for the cruise, bike motors are run flat out for the duration. They
shake a whole lot more with less mass to dampen it, too.

OK. I have just been out for 2.5 hours blowing leaves away from around
buildings with a 30cc 2-stroke blower. Flat chat. Full throttle.
Non-stop. Warm morning. Nothing fell off. It did not seize. My last
(Ryobi) did not seize either. What went on that POS were fuel lines,
and the tank, and the carb in the end, and it cost too much to buy
parts so it was easier to buy a new machine so I bought a "proper"
one.....Ahem...Sorry..

But nothing fell off. The guts of the motor were fine.

I have two chainsaws. Both Huskies. One is a "pro" model. If there's
any loctite, it was done for me. Nothing falls off. I have cut whole
trees up with that thing. Serious hardwood. I use TCT chains, because
of the wood. I don't stop to sharpen.

I also have a little 32 cc "home" model. It cost more than a Poulan
(read Husky) of the same size. But when things started falling off, I
complained alright. But I was told "It's not a pro model. What do you
expect?" Hello? I do not expect it to fall to pieces.

I helped a guy keep his Husky 400 (The Trencher) running an actually
rode it once. When it hit the pipe, the front end came up so quickly
that it was nearly vertical before I could close the throttle. (I
changed my shorts as soon as I got home, too.) In any case, we used
a case of loc-tite (both red and blue) on that thing over a few year
period. It even ate through the -blue- (permanent) stuff!

Come on! A trencher! BTW I have one of those too. No loctite. Well,
sorry. There may be. I bought it OLD. Nothing falls off. It does not
seize. It's a horrible old piece of **** to use. Hand held on wheels.
That's a pants-changer. But I agree, I watched the telecom guys
putting in the trench up my drive a few years back. The junior guy did
the driving! G

OTOH, I never bought a Duc or a Brit bike either! G

Nor did I. I had an unfinished project bike (CZ 250) for a year, but
sold it unridden, and I had a Kawasaki 90, a gift from Dad for my
15-1/2 birthday, the day I got my driving permit. I think I found
every cul-de-sac, trail, street in North Sandy Eggo County in the 6
months before I could drive a car legally, by myself.

But I've owned no real scoots.

Oh damn! I was hoping you would say a Harley and I could start a
_real_ argument! G

BTW. I have one big dick, but can't waggle it :- A dozer. Now things
DO fall off that. But Loctite would be pushing, there. And it's over
40 years old.