Larry Jaques

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:11:42 +0800, the inscrutable Old Nick
spake:

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 06:40:14 -0800, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

So you are happy with a thing that falls to pieces, because the guy
finally says "Oh well, that's alright. It's a good toy". But the guy
who simply says it fell to pieces should be discounted?

You and I know it's going to shed parts. Vibratory things do that,
and that's why Loc-Tite was born. but the second (clueless) guy
would be unhappy if the thing ran out of gas, too. "It won't run."
We can't help him much. (He should have known better.)

I _never_ used loctite on my bikes, unless to rebuild stuff, in
special situations. I _never_ had anything, except me, fall off, that
I can remember. I rode _only_ bikes for over 15 years. Hundreds of
thousands of Ks. I still have a 1976 Honda CB750. Nothing ever fell
off it.

Q: How often did you ride any of those wide open at full RPM for hours
at a time? That's closer to the application of these bike motors.
While motorcycles have trannies, allowing you to use the highest gear
for the cruise, bike motors are run flat out for the duration. They
shake a whole lot more with less mass to dampen it, too.

I helped a guy keep his Husky 400 (The Trencher) running an actually
rode it once. When it hit the pipe, the front end came up so quickly
that it was nearly vertical before I could close the throttle. (I
changed my shorts as soon as I got home, too.) In any case, we used
a case of loc-tite (both red and blue) on that thing over a few year
period. It even ate through the -blue- (permanent) stuff!

OTOH, I never bought a Duc or a Brit bike either! G

Nor did I. I had an unfinished project bike (CZ 250) for a year, but
sold it unridden, and I had a Kawasaki 90, a gift from Dad for my
15-1/2 birthday, the day I got my driving permit. I think I found
every cul-de-sac, trail, street in North Sandy Eggo County in the 6
months before I could drive a car legally, by myself.

But I've owned no real scoots.

Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com
or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications