RogerN

Default OT- Shooting, Distance from road ?

Are there laws as to how far you must be from a road to shoot a gun? A
neighbor said you are not supposed to shoot within 500 feet of a road. The
reason I'm asking is because I have ~4.5 acres but it is all frontage. If I
stand close to the road, I can shoot away from the road which seems safer
than being away from the road and having to shoot toward the road. Shooting
parallel to the road puts the aim in the direction of houses down the road
either way. In my situation, the safest seems to be standing near the road
and shooting away from the road with miles of fields behind the target and
backstop.

I'm in Illinois and have googled for state and federal laws, so far I have
only found that you must not shoot within 1000 feet of schools, etc.
Haven't found anything saying you must be 500 ft away from the road.

Thanks!

Roy

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:43:09 GMT, "RogerN"
wrote:

===
[...]

A states have different rules and laws concerning how far from roadway
one must be. Call your states wildlife and game comission and get the
facts.

Here in Alabama one has to be 100 feet or that may be yards to be
legal to hunt, however I can shoot from anypoint on my property
legally, as long as its not hunting type shooting.

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Sooooooooooooooooolow to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
Will

This probably doesn't really help you much, but in Georgia I'm pretty sure
you cannot fire a gun within 50 yards of a public road or any building. And
GA seems to have more relaxed gun laws than Illinois, so I would guess that
it's the same or farther, not that my guess does you any good....

-Will

"RogerN" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Charles A. Sherwood

Are there laws as to how far you must be from a road to shoot a gun? A

I'm sure there are. The laws are intented to prevent pouchers from driving
the country roads at night and hunting deer..

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Roy" wrote in message
snip------

A states have different rules and laws concerning how far from roadway
one must be. Call your states wildlife and game comission and get the
facts.

What Roy said!

harold

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:43:09 GMT, RogerN wrote:

Are there laws as to how far you must be from a road to shoot a gun? A
neighbor said you are not supposed to shoot within 500 feet of a road.

That depends on a ton of things, not the least of which is "where in the
world are you?"

The
reason I'm asking is because I have ~4.5 acres but it is all frontage. If I
stand close to the road, I can shoot away from the road which seems safer
than being away from the road and having to shoot toward the road.

Of course.

Not good, and if I was in one of those houses, I'd be ****ed.

In my situation, the safest seems to be standing near the road
and shooting away from the road with miles of fields behind the target and
backstop.

Assuming a good backstop, this seems the only logical approach.

I'm in Illinois and have googled for state and federal laws, so far I have
only found that you must not shoot within 1000 feet of schools, etc.
Haven't found anything saying you must be 500 ft away from the road.

Maybe he's thinking about the hunting regulations, which are
designed so that you don't hunt from the car or road. Plinking
doesn't have that limitation. Perhaps rec.guns would be another
good place to post this question (see you there, maybe?) Similar
"personality" to the group; mostly helpful, some grumpy, some
helpful grumpy sorts.

Dave Hinz

wrote:

[...]

Check with your game and fish department. This sounds like a hunting
regulation designed to keep people from hunting from cars.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Errol Groff

The reason I'm asking is because I have 4.5 acres but it is all
frontage.

And what do you farm on 4.5 acres that is all frontage? Spaghetti?

Your property sound like it is six miles long and two inches wide.
carl mciver

RogerN" wrote in message
nk.net...

| I'm in Illinois and have googled for state and federal laws, so far I have
| only found that you must not shoot within 1000 feet of schools, etc.
| Haven't found anything saying you must be 500 ft away from the road.
|
| Thanks!

Being raised in east Texas, one needs to know what defines a "road"

Tony

You generally must hunt so many feet from a public road, and you can't shoot
across a road for obvious safety reasons. Check with your state
environmental agency or whoever issues the hunting licenses.

In hunter safety class they show pictures of what happens when some idiot
shot across a road & hit a car by accident. Not a pretty sight (12ga slug in
the head).

Tony

"RogerN" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

RogerN

"Errol Groff" wrote in message

The reason I'm asking is because I have 4.5 acres but it is all
frontage.

And what do you farm on 4.5 acres that is all frontage? Spaghetti?

Your property sound like it is six miles long and two inches wide.

The property is triangle shaped and probably at least 6 times as long as it
is deep at the deepest point. There is a road approximately half way
through my property. I would guess that I have approximately 1.5 acres on
the house side of the road and 3 acres on the barnyard side. I'm not
farming anything but I have dug a small pond and stocked it. Anyway, the
length of the property can potentially give me a descent shooting range
unless I have to be farther from the road than my property is deep.

The neighbor that says I'm not supposed to shoot here, because I'm not 500
feet from the road, was complaining that my shooting spooks their horses and
makes their dogs bark. I bought this property, dug my pond, piled dirt for
a shooting backstop, and shot all summer before they built their house and
moved their dogs and horses in. Before they ever complained, I shot and
watched the horses to see if it was spooking them, they didn't seem to be
bothered by it.

Now I'm trying to move my shooting area to the other end of my property but
it is the end that comes to the point of the triangle, putting me closer to
the road.

I want to get along with the neighbors and don't want to spook their horses,
but I moved from city limits so that I could do the things you can't do in
city limits. I had my "shooting range" before they ever began building or
moving their horses in the area. I've cut back shooting in my barnyard area
partly because of winter and partly because of their horses being so close.

Should horses be spooked by gunfire? John Wayne would be ashamed! :-)

Harold & Susan Vordos

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

I think you'd be wise to contact the county attorney's office and get an
opinion. You could be within your rights to shoot there. You're likely
to come head to head with your jackass neighbor eventually, so it does no
harm to let the authorities know you're doing your level best to abide by
the law.

Maybe you should be hollering at your neighbor, telling him his dogs are
keeping you awake nights. Sounds like he wants everything his way.

Keep us informed

Harold

Roger Hull

I came in late on this thread so forgive me if I duplicate something that has
already been said. Shooting distances from roads varies from state to
state and sometimes county by county, I don't know what state you live in so
IMHO the best bet would be run it by your local DA or law enforcement agency.
Here in Nevada you cannot shoot closer than 1000 feet from a public road or
habitated (sp?) structure. However, a shooting club or commercial range can
be closer if approved by the State.
Good luck...hope this helps

Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impuse Buyer

RogerN

Thanks for the excellent replies!
Instead of searching on firearm laws and gun laws, I searched hunting laws
and found following

From the Illinois Department of Natural Resources 2004-05 hunting guide.

"Hunting from Road.
It is unlawful to hunt, trap or discharge a
gun or bow and arrow device along, upon,
across or from a public roadway, highway or
right-of-way. Highway (right-of-way)
means the entire width between the boundary
lines of every public road. Roadway
means the portion of the public road that is
improved or ordinarily used for vehicle travel,
excluding the berm or shoulder."

AND

"Q. Is there a set distance from a roadway
I have to be in order to hunt?
A. No. There is no set distance. It is simply
unlawful to hunt, trap, or discharge a
gun or bow and arrow device along,
upon, across or from a public roadway,
highway, or right-of-way. (See page 8-9
of the digest for further explanation). The
only exception is that any person who
hunts on any property operated under a
Migratory Waterfowl Hunting Area Permit
where the principal use is to take wild
geese, cannot hunt geese from a pit or
blind that is within 200 yards of a public
right-of-way that is adjacent to any State
or Federal Waterfowl Refuge."

Also, the following applies to hunting but I'm not sure about target
practice. The neighbors "dwelling" is probably 100 yards, but less than 300
yards, from my property, meaning I could trap or hunt with a bow and arrow
or shotgun with shotshells.

"Hunting near Inhabited Dwellings
It is unlawful to hunt or allow a dog to
hunt within 300 yards of an inhabited
dwelling without first obtaining permission
of the owner or tenant of the dwelling.
EXCEPT: While trapping, hunting with bow
and arrow, or hunting with shotgun using
shotshells only, or on licensed game
breeding and hunting preserve areas, on
federally-owned and -managed lands, on
Department-owned, -managed, -leased or
-controlled lands and areas operated
under a Waterfowl Hunting Area permit, a
100-yard restriction shall apply."

Thanks again, the replies pointed me in the right direction!

John Keeney

"RogerN" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

Different states, different laws.
I think here in Indiana there are different distances for parallel
to the road, towards the road and away from the road. Or maybe
I'm even thinking of Kentucky where I used to do all my shooting...

At any rate, I'ld call the nearest State Police Post and ask who
ever answers the phone. If that involved a long distance call,
I'ld look and see if there was a Fish & Game local number to
try.

Karl Vorwerk

You might want to check on how close their horse barn is to your property
line. There are often rules about how far a livestock barn must be set from
the property line.
In the town I grew up in it was legal to shot your gun but not your cap
pistol.
Karl

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Scott S. Logan

wrote:

Are there laws as to how far you must be from a road to shoot a gun? A
neighbor said you are not supposed to shoot within 500 feet of a road. The
reason I'm asking is because I have ~4.5 acres but it is all frontage. If I
stand close to the road, I can shoot away from the road which seems safer
than being away from the road and having to shoot toward the road. Shooting
parallel to the road puts the aim in the direction of houses down the road
either way. In my situation, the safest seems to be standing near the road
and shooting away from the road with miles of fields behind the target and
backstop.

I'm in Illinois and have googled for state and federal laws, so far I have
only found that you must not shoot within 1000 feet of schools, etc.
Haven't found anything saying you must be 500 ft away from the road.

Since you are from Illinois, haven't you heard of the incident in
Richmond where a school bus was hit by errant pellets while driving
students home from school?

Fortunately, no one was hurt, and since I am not a hunter, I don't
know what real danger the kids were in, but you can bet some parents
were more than a bit concerned, even in this area where hunting is
almost the national sport.

--
Message from Scott Logan Support the anti-Spam amendment
Join at http://www.cauce.org

Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

[...]

Don't know, but when we had a Jeep - the real kind :-) - kept up at the
cabin in New Mexico less than a mile from the elected sheriff and all in one store
the windshield glass was shot out with all sorts of bullets, the fenders were
peppered as well. Someone remarked it looked like a deer. I think it was just
a fun thing while we were away.

Some kid (in body or mind) must have lobed one at the bus - I doubt if paint
was scratched if it was any distance. Likely some red nose type that
thought the bus ran off the targets. Took revenge.

Might be just a crazy person. Plenty of them around so we are told.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Scott S. Logan

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:00:28 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Some kid (in body or mind) must have lobed one at the bus - I doubt if paint
was scratched if it was any distance. Likely some red nose type that
thought the bus ran off the targets. Took revenge.

Not at all. From the Northwest Herald Newspaper
http://www.nwherald.com:

| Errant shotgun pellets hit school bus
| Publication Northwest Herald
| Date December 10, 2004
| Section(s) Main
| Page
|
| By JEFF GARD
|

| RICHMOND - A hunter's stray shot Thursday afternoon sprayed a side of a school bus and splintered a window as the bus carried Richmond Grade School students home from school.
|
| No one was injured.
|
| Police late Thursday charged Steven D. C***, 35, of Grafton, Wis., with reckless discharge of a firearm, reckless conduct, and shooting across a state highway.
|
| If convicted, he could be sentenced to three years in prison on the reckless discharge charge.
|
| The incident occurred when the school bus was heading east on Route 173, next to the Richmond Hunting Club, 5016 Route 173 McHenry County Sheriff's Capt. Glenn Olson said.
|
| Hunting-club members pay a fee to shoot pheasant, partridge, quail or wild turkey on the 850-acre property.
|
| Olson said C*** was on the north side of the road, shooting south.
|
| "It is against the law to shoot across a highway," Olson said. "Regardless if there was intent, there was a discharge of the weapon that resulted in a bus being hit."
|
| Richmond Grade School Principal Judi Jones, who was called to the scene, said 24 first- through fifth-graders and the driver were on the bus.
|
| Jones said a second- or third-grade boy was sitting in the seat where one of the pellets struck the window, but the boy did not appear to be shocked by the shooting.
|
| "He didn't respond any differently than the rest [of the students], which surprised me a little bit," Jones said.
|
| Chuck Wonderlic, owner of the hunting club, said he saw two school buses and police cars as he was driving Thursday on Route 173, but he did not know anything about the incident.
|
| "Nobody has called me about it," Wonderlic said Thursday night.
|
| Parent Shane Petersen knew something was wrong when his children's bus was late.
|
| A neighbor told Petersen's wife about the shooting, and he drove to the bus to pick up his two children.
|
| "You would think people would have a lot more common sense than to fire a weapon that close to the road," Petersen said.
|
| Jones read the students a story to calm them while detectives investigated the bus and parents waited by the door.
|
| "Well, the kids aren't going to forget this," Petersen said. "I'm certainly not going to forget this."

And:

| Hunter who shot school bus charged
| Publication Kane County Chronicle
| Date December 11, 2004
| Section(s) Main
| Page
|
| By JEFF GARD
|
| Shaw News Service
|
| RICHMOND -- A hunter who struck a Richmond Grade School bus with bird shot was with a guide and shooting at a wild turkey when it flew in front of Route 173, a Richmond Hunting Club manager said Friday.
|
| Steve C***, 35, *** D*** C****, Grafton, Wis., who was charged in connection with the incident, posted 10 percent of a $5,000 bond and was released from McHenry County Jail on Friday morning.
|
| Police say C***'s stray shot sprayed the side of the bus with pellets and splintered two windows Thursday afternoon. The incident did not hurt any of the 24 first- through fifth-graders riding in the bus or the driver.
|
| Ed Donahue, a lawyer representing C***, said his client was glad no one was hurt.
|
| The Richmond Hunting Club, 5016 Route 173, is on 850 acres north and south of Route 173. Members pay a fee to shoot pheasant, partridge, quail or wild turkey.
|
| Peter Kainz, director of operations with the club, said C*** and two men from Wisconsin were out with a club guide Thursday afternoon when a dog flushed a wild turkey from the brush.
|
| Kainz said the dog flushed the turkey away from Route 173, but the bird swung around toward the road.
|
| "(C***) was following the bird around," Kainz said. "He didn't think. He was excited. It was a turkey, and not a pheasant, and he shot."
|
| McHenry County Sheriff Keith Nygren said C*** was about 40 yards from the road when he pulled the trigger.
|
| "He was just focused on the bird and not aware of his surroundings," Nygren said.
|
| C*** was using a Browning Light 12-gauge semiautomatic shotgun, Nygren said. He was shooting No. 6 shot with steel pellets, Kainz said.
|
| Bill Preskar, owner of HP Shooting Center in McHenry, said according to the ballistics chart, the typical shotgun effectiveness for No. 6 shot is 30 yards. The distance is subject to many variables, including the angle of the shot and power of the weapon's discharge.
|
| "There's so many variables, you just can't pinpoint it," he said.
|
| C*** was charged with reckless discharge of a firearm, reckless conduct and unlawfully shooting across a state highway.
|
| If convicted of the most serious charge, reckless discharge of a firearm, C*** could be sentenced to a maximum of three years in prison. He will appear in court Jan. 5.
|
| * Contributing: Kristen Turner

RoyJ

In many states, discharge of a firearm is controlled by local
governement dictates. Local can mean city, township, county, etc.
Example, most cities ban discharge of a firearm of any type whereas in
areas where hunting is allowed, you obvioulsy need to be able to shoot.
There will often be some restrictions on dates (ie hunting season only)
or "promiscuous shooting" (blasting away at anything you feel like).
Most places ban discharge over or from a public road for obvious safety
reasons. Many places will have a noise or "quiet enjoyment" clause that
can be used to quiet down someone doing the shooting. These tend to be
interpretations of what is "quiet", usually lead to lawsuits.

Check with whoever is the local policing agency or game warden, they
will be glad to fill you in on what the law is and what jurisdiction
covers it. If you have a noisy neighbor, I'd suggest you get a copy of
the applicable ordinance or statue as a backup.

cheers.

RogerN wrote:
[...]

Too_Many_Tools

First of all, I want to commend you on trying to find out what the
rules are for your situation. Far too many people either fly off the
handle or choose to continue to go through life ignorant.

Second as has been posted, the rules are different in different states
AND counties AND town. Get it in writing what rules apply to YOUR
location.

Third and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, remember that YOU are responsible for
where the projectile goes and any damage it causes. While we all have
seen people who panic around guns, I at least have seen more than my
share of idiots who have no business owning a gun, much less shooting
one. When I shoot (and I have alot of guns), I remind myself that I am
responsible for the consequences. A wayward round destroying property
or wounding/killing someone can result in landing you in prison and can
destroy you financially. Your comment of "In my situation, the safest
seems to be standing near the road and shooting away from the road with
miles of fields behind the target and
backstop." makes me very nervous. If you are shooting, your BACKSTOP
should be stopping the projectile. DO NOT rely on "miles of fields" to
take care of your wayward projectiles. In a past life, I was a farmer.
If I knew someone was shooting over the ground I was working, I would
be tempted to shove that gun where the sun doesn't shine. and then I
would have him arrested.

I would recommend finding out what laws apply to your location and then
educating your neighbors as to those laws.

I don't think I need to remind you that fighting with the neighbors is
a lose-lose situation.

I would take the time to read the "barking dog" thread that has been
running...a good discussion.

Good luck with solving the situation to the satisfaction of all parties
involved.

TMT

Ed Huntress

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Which reminds me of a book that all gun owners will enjoy, _Deadeye Dick_,
by Kurt Vonnegut.

Available in paperback or at your local library.

d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

RogerN

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...

backstop." makes me very nervous. If you are shooting, your BACKSTOP
should be stopping the projectile. DO NOT rely on "miles of fields" to
take care of your wayward projectiles. In a past life, I was a farmer.
If I knew someone was shooting over the ground I was working, I would
be tempted to shove that gun where the sun doesn't shine. and then I
would have him arrested.

Thanks for the good information. My backstop is capable of stopping my
projectiles (22-250, 7.62X39 and 9MM Luger) and much heavier rounds than
what I shoot. There is a State Police shooting range in town with a nice
dirt backstop. A local farmer showed the police the bullet holes in his
barn that is located some distance behind the Police shooting range. I'm
not sure what caused the bullets to hit the barn but for whatever reason
they did. Even though my backstop is more than enough to stop my
projectiles, I still like the idea of open field in the background instead
of homes down the road.

I already had a nice dirtpile going but the neighbors put their horses right
next to that area. To try to keep peace with the neighbors, I plan to make
a dirt pile on the opposite end othe property for my target shooting.
According to the IL Dept of Nartual Resources, I can shoot on my private
property close to the road as long as I don't shoot at, along, from, or over
the road. Also to make the neighbors and their horses happy, I'm wanting to
find some quiter guns. My 22-250 seems quite a bit louder than my 12 guage
shotgun. I thought maybe I could see if I can get my Ruger 10-22 to shoot
better, perhaps with better ammunition or a target barrel & stock upgrade.
I thought I could enjoy shooting the 22LR for the bulk of my target shooting
and minimize shooting the louder guns. I still want to experiment with
bullets and powders for the 22-250 to find out what shoots good in my gun.

Thanks again!

Too_Many_Tools

I am impressed with your willingness to try to adapt to the
situation....more people should try. At the same time, I can understand
that you would like to do your own thing since you are the one paying
for the acreage.

Just a thought....any chance your neighbors might like to try their
hand at target practice? It is a rare person who doesn't enjoy doing in
a tin can.

Over the years I have had several neighbors who would complain about
something...let's say for this discussion it would be my target range.

After introducing the husband and son to target shooting after a
neighborhood barbecue, instead of having irritating neighbors I
developed some new friends.

Their complaints about my shooting soon went away also. They too had
had horses.

In your case if they shoot from your range and see that their horses
are not bothered by the shooting, I suspect their complaints will go
away.

Doesn't hurt to try....

TMT

Martin H. Eastburn

Single minded type I see.
Wow 40 yards away - and still splintered the window - wonder what splintered means -
are they not safety glass ?

I think the kid that sat there must have brothers and live on a farm. :-)

I almost got it once when a neighbor was in shoulder high grass in a slew area
and he fired at a pheasant as it let off. And naturally, I was in the
way over my head grass heading for a local stream to see what kind of fish were
feeding.

Getting peppered now and then was part of the job of a kid I guess. Kinda like
the kid at the bowling alley setting pins before the machines came.

Glad to hear all is well and just a crazy time. One would think the 'guide'
would have called out or maybe it was just to fast.

Martin

wrote:

> [...]

| "He was just focused on the bird and not aware of his surroundings," Nygren said.
|
| C*** was using a Browning Light 12-gauge semiautomatic shotgun, Nygren said. He was shooting No. 6 shot with steel pellets, Kainz said.
|
| Bill Preskar, owner of HP Shooting Center in McHenry, said according to the ballistics chart, the typical shotgun effectiveness for No. 6 shot is 30 yards. The distance is subject to many variables, including the angle of the shot and power of the weapon's discharge.
|
| "There's so many variables, you just can't pinpoint it," he said.
|
| C*** was charged with reckless discharge of a firearm, reckless conduct and unlawfully shooting across a state highway.
|
| If convicted of the most serious charge, reckless discharge of a firearm, C*** could be sentenced to a maximum of three years in prison. He will appear in court Jan. 5.

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Most states..not all...but most have the 500' requirement. Some say
paved roads, some say roads in general...

Makes it a bit more interesting if you are trying to remove ground
squirrels. on hillsides near roads.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Too_Many_Tools

I have ZERO tolerance for this behavior...accident or otherwise.

When you pull the trigger, you are responsible for its results.

If I was on the jury, the people involved would get the maximum penalty
on all three counts.

And then, I would encourage the school district to go after the
Richmond Hunting Club for allowing the shooter to be close enough to a
road when hunting so hopefully there is not a repeat of this incident
in the future.

TMT

Old Nick

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:43:09 GMT, "RogerN"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Go and get 450 acres and stop being a pest.

[...]

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "RogerN"
wrote back on Thu, 13 Jan 2005 02:53:31 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

Should horses be spooked by gunfire?

Horses, to be polite, "ain't the sharpest tool in the drawer." They can
be spooked by all sorts of things. Remember, they are herbivores - another
way of saying "prey". Prey species tend to be real alert about unexpected
things in their neighborhood. "Paranoia" is a survival trait for things
which could be "lunch". So yeah, horses "spook" at gunfire. They also
spook at snakes, laundry flapping in the wind, the wind, things sneaking up
on their blind side, loud noises, lightening, rain, sunshine, cars, dogs,
cats and horses named "Brucey" .
Let's face it, if you din't know someone was shooting, you'd jump at
the first gunshot too. And if you had no idea what that noise was, you'd
be a little spooked too.

On the other hand, based on conversations with a horsewoman I know,
what most people call "spirit" in a horse is closer to neurotic or
hysterics. "Flighty." Her experience with horses had been as 'working
horses'. Ayup, she rode horses to get to work, or as part of the job.
"Cow ponies" they was called. (Tain't nothing purtyer than a gal from
ranch country getting to pet the pretty working horses at the fair. That
smile lighting up her face, just beautiful. Course, I thought her
beautiful the rest of the time too, but I digress.)

John Wayne would be ashamed! :-)

If it were his horse, maybe.

--
pyotr filipivich.

pyotr filipivich

[...]

Now, if there ever was a reason to own one of them Maxim "rifle
muffler", this would be one.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Gunner

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:10:02 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Pigs, cats, and even most Liberals are smarter than horses. The more
pedigreed, often the more flakey they are. Some exceptions tend to be
Arabians as an example..sometimes......

Those high dollar race horses? Nutcases on 4 legs. Goofier than
Beverly Hills soccer moms. If they were human, they would be at the
analyist everyday and grokked to the eyeballs on Valiums.

Give me a good old mustang stock working horse thats been around for a
while, or a mule if I have to use something with 4 legs, big enough
to ride. And even then, Ill watch em close for a year or two.

Hummm except for the 4 legs..pretty much sounds like women, dont it?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Sunworshipper

wrote:

[...]

Stop you two , that's too funny.

When I would go over to grandma's to take care of the pool she would
go "Who are you?". I'd say your son's son and she'd call me his name
and ask me if I tied up the horse.

I'm very paranoid of them things , even petting their noses through a
steel pipe fence.
John Chase

Scott S. Logan wrote:

[ snip ] From the Northwest Herald Newspaper
http://www.nwherald.com:

| Errant shotgun pellets hit school bus
| Publication Northwest Herald
| Date December 10, 2004
| Section(s) Main
| Page
|
| By JEFF GARD
|

| RICHMOND - A hunter's stray shot Thursday afternoon sprayed a side of a school bus and splintered a window as the bus carried Richmond Grade School students home from school.
|
|[ snip ]
|
| "Well, the kids aren't going to forget this," Petersen said. "I'm certainly not going to forget this."

You can "take it to the bank" that the kids will not be allowed to forget it.

-jc-

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Sunworshipper
wrote back on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:17:28 -0800 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

[...]

My response when she was petting the Belgian draft horse and wanted me
to come over was "sorry, the little monkey in the back is gibbering 'big
critter, big teeth, not going to get near those teeth.'"

--
pyotr filipivich.

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:45:49 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

Those high dollar race horses? Nutcases on 4 legs. Goofier than
Beverly Hills soccer moms. If they were human, they would be at the
analyist everyday and grokked to the eyeballs on Valiums.

Give me a good old mustang stock working horse thats been around for a
while, or a mule if I have to use something with 4 legs, big enough
to ride. And even then, Ill watch em close for a year or two.

I think it is the restricted gene pool of the Pure Breed which causes
the problems. Dogs, cats, horses, liberals, too shallow a gene pools leads
to all sorts of brain problems. Give me the "mutts", with hybrid vigor and
all the rest. So it ain't as "purdy", but they aren't as brain damaged
either.

She has a story of going riding with friends. She got the "retired cow
pony" (her words), and was first int he saddle. While she waited, the
horse began the slow sideways siddle: shift weight to left legs, move right
left, wait, shift weight to right legs, wait, move left legs to the left,
repeat until you catch the monkey between you and fence. Took her a
couple minutes to realize this was what the horse was up to, and from then
on, she had a fun time. "Stupid cayuse! Not brushing me off with no
tree!"

Like I said, displaced Colorado Rancher's daughter.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Charles A. Sherwood

My response when she was petting the Belgian draft horse and wanted me
to come over was "sorry, the little monkey in the back is gibbering 'big
critter, big teeth, not going to get near those teeth.'"

Draft horses are usually much more mellow than saddle horses.
I go to the old threshers and I love to watch the draft horse teams.
I talked to one of the owners last time and he says he even rides
his belgians and they love it!
Martin H. Eastburn

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
My response when she was petting the Belgian draft horse and wanted me
to come over was "sorry, the little monkey in the back is gibbering 'big
critter, big teeth, not going to get near those teeth.'"

Draft horses are usually much more mellow than saddle horses.
I go to the old threshers and I love to watch the draft horse teams.
I talked to one of the owners last time and he says he even rides
his belgians and they love it!

My Grandfather raised and bred Morgans. The are Black Draft Horse - but really
did the hard work - 12 horse teams to pull plows and wagons. Big, I mean big farm work.
This was 90 years ago or almost - We have pictures of him bareback on his
best stud.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote back on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 05:12:34 GMT in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
Charles A. Sherwood wrote:
My response when she was petting the Belgian draft horse and wanted me
to come over was "sorry, the little monkey in the back is gibbering 'big
critter, big teeth, not going to get near those teeth.'"

Draft horses are usually much more mellow than saddle horses.
I go to the old threshers and I love to watch the draft horse teams.
I talked to one of the owners last time and he says he even rides
his belgians and they love it!

My Grandfather raised and bred Morgans. The are Black Draft Horse - but really
did the hard work - 12 horse teams to pull plows and wagons. Big, I mean big farm work.
This was 90 years ago or almost - We have pictures of him bareback on his
best stud.

Heck, all things considered, they probably were of the opinion "If you
climb on me, and I find out about it ..."
Not dumb, but when you're used to doing Real Work(tm) having some
monkey boy on your back is nothing.

Reminds me in a way of a story about my Uncle Warren. He was about 17,
full of himself, and had been teasing his cousin on and off during the
afternoon. Finally, his cousin (who was a decade or so older), had enough
and grabbed my uncle by the arms, and sat him on the kitchen stove (wood
burning, one each). Told him if he (Warren) thought he was man enough, he
(cousin) would be back in an hour from milking.
Have you ever thought about how do you get off a hot, wood burning
stove, when you are sitting on it? Since hearing this story, I have, and I
haven't come up with a good procedure which wasn't going to burn me :-)

Martin

--
pyotr filipivich.