Martin H. Eastburn

Scott S. Logan wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:43:09 GMT, "RogerN"
wrote:

Are there laws as to how far you must be from a road to shoot a gun? A
neighbor said you are not supposed to shoot within 500 feet of a road. The
reason I'm asking is because I have ~4.5 acres but it is all frontage. If I
stand close to the road, I can shoot away from the road which seems safer
than being away from the road and having to shoot toward the road. Shooting
parallel to the road puts the aim in the direction of houses down the road
either way. In my situation, the safest seems to be standing near the road
and shooting away from the road with miles of fields behind the target and
backstop.

I'm in Illinois and have googled for state and federal laws, so far I have
only found that you must not shoot within 1000 feet of schools, etc.
Haven't found anything saying you must be 500 ft away from the road.

Since you are from Illinois, haven't you heard of the incident in
Richmond where a school bus was hit by errant pellets while driving
students home from school?

Fortunately, no one was hurt, and since I am not a hunter, I don't
know what real danger the kids were in, but you can bet some parents
were more than a bit concerned, even in this area where hunting is
almost the national sport.

Don't know, but when we had a Jeep - the real kind :-) - kept up at the
cabin in New Mexico less than a mile from the elected sheriff and all in one store
the windshield glass was shot out with all sorts of bullets, the fenders were
peppered as well. Someone remarked it looked like a deer. I think it was just
a fun thing while we were away.

Some kid (in body or mind) must have lobed one at the bus - I doubt if paint
was scratched if it was any distance. Likely some red nose type that
thought the bus ran off the targets. Took revenge.

Might be just a crazy person. Plenty of them around so we are told.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer