Martin H. Eastburn

Single minded type I see.
Wow 40 yards away - and still splintered the window - wonder what splintered means -
are they not safety glass ?

I think the kid that sat there must have brothers and live on a farm. :-)

I almost got it once when a neighbor was in shoulder high grass in a slew area
and he fired at a pheasant as it let off. And naturally, I was in the
way over my head grass heading for a local stream to see what kind of fish were
feeding.

Getting peppered now and then was part of the job of a kid I guess. Kinda like
the kid at the bowling alley setting pins before the machines came.

Glad to hear all is well and just a crazy time. One would think the 'guide'
would have called out or maybe it was just to fast.

Martin

Scott S. Logan wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:00:28 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Some kid (in body or mind) must have lobed one at the bus - I doubt if paint
was scratched if it was any distance. Likely some red nose type that
thought the bus ran off the targets. Took revenge.

Not at all. From the Northwest Herald Newspaper
http://www.nwherald.com:

| Errant shotgun pellets hit school bus
| Publication Northwest Herald
| Date December 10, 2004
| Section(s) Main
| Page
|
| By JEFF GARD
|

| RICHMOND - A hunter's stray shot Thursday afternoon sprayed a side of a school bus and splintered a window as the bus carried Richmond Grade School students home from school.
|
| No one was injured.
|
| Police late Thursday charged Steven D. C***, 35, of Grafton, Wis., with reckless discharge of a firearm, reckless conduct, and shooting across a state highway.
|
| If convicted, he could be sentenced to three years in prison on the reckless discharge charge.
|
| The incident occurred when the school bus was heading east on Route 173, next to the Richmond Hunting Club, 5016 Route 173 McHenry County Sheriff's Capt. Glenn Olson said.
|
| Hunting-club members pay a fee to shoot pheasant, partridge, quail or wild turkey on the 850-acre property.
|
| Olson said C*** was on the north side of the road, shooting south.
|
| "It is against the law to shoot across a highway," Olson said. "Regardless if there was intent, there was a discharge of the weapon that resulted in a bus being hit."
|
| Richmond Grade School Principal Judi Jones, who was called to the scene, said 24 first- through fifth-graders and the driver were on the bus.
|
| Jones said a second- or third-grade boy was sitting in the seat where one of the pellets struck the window, but the boy did not appear to be shocked by the shooting.
|
| "He didn't respond any differently than the rest [of the students], which surprised me a little bit," Jones said.
|
| Chuck Wonderlic, owner of the hunting club, said he saw two school buses and police cars as he was driving Thursday on Route 173, but he did not know anything about the incident.
|
| "Nobody has called me about it," Wonderlic said Thursday night.
|
| Parent Shane Petersen knew something was wrong when his children's bus was late.
|
| A neighbor told Petersen's wife about the shooting, and he drove to the bus to pick up his two children.
|
| "You would think people would have a lot more common sense than to fire a weapon that close to the road," Petersen said.
|
| Jones read the students a story to calm them while detectives investigated the bus and parents waited by the door.
|
| "Well, the kids aren't going to forget this," Petersen said. "I'm certainly not going to forget this."

And:

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer