Too_Many_Tools

First of all, I want to commend you on trying to find out what the
rules are for your situation. Far too many people either fly off the
handle or choose to continue to go through life ignorant.

Second as has been posted, the rules are different in different states
AND counties AND town. Get it in writing what rules apply to YOUR
location.

Third and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, remember that YOU are responsible for
where the projectile goes and any damage it causes. While we all have
seen people who panic around guns, I at least have seen more than my
share of idiots who have no business owning a gun, much less shooting
one. When I shoot (and I have alot of guns), I remind myself that I am
responsible for the consequences. A wayward round destroying property
or wounding/killing someone can result in landing you in prison and can
destroy you financially. Your comment of "In my situation, the safest
seems to be standing near the road and shooting away from the road with
miles of fields behind the target and
backstop." makes me very nervous. If you are shooting, your BACKSTOP
should be stopping the projectile. DO NOT rely on "miles of fields" to
take care of your wayward projectiles. In a past life, I was a farmer.
If I knew someone was shooting over the ground I was working, I would
be tempted to shove that gun where the sun doesn't shine. and then I
would have him arrested.

I would recommend finding out what laws apply to your location and then
educating your neighbors as to those laws.

I don't think I need to remind you that fighting with the neighbors is
a lose-lose situation.

I would take the time to read the "barking dog" thread that has been
running...a good discussion.

Good luck with solving the situation to the satisfaction of all parties
involved.

TMT