Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Smooth(er) Driveway

Got the hydrailic quick-disconnects replaced today on the tractor ,
mounted the front blade and exercised it a bit smoothing out the driveway .
I need some weight on the back of the machine , I'm spinning the tires when
I take a decent bite (tractor tread , not turf) . I expect it'll be just
fine if I need to move a little snow just as it is now ... but if we get ice
I'm thinking I'll need chains . Fortunately it has independent rear brakes ,
might help in slick conditions .
Looks like the only big project left on it now is repairs to the mower
deck - and I may be able to find a replacement for that instead . Matter of
money vs time , and I have a lot more of the latter ... The deck has an
advanced case of cancer , but I have the material needed to repair it . I
wouldn't dare spin up the blades the way it is now , but repairs look to be
pretty straightforward and simple . Looks like the major problem will be
maintaining the blades all in the same plane should I decide to cut the bad
pieces out rather than doubling them . Both ways have their plusses . And
minusses ...
--
Snag
And I'm in it just over 400 bucks so far . Unless you count my time ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
[...]

I acquired a neighbor's leftover wheel weights for a riding mower he
had sold, and some 1" steel plate that I attached inside the rear
frame where it doesn't interfere with anything. It's nice to have a
milling machine to modify stuff like this.

Home-made chains on ag tires didn't do my lawn any good and their
traction on ice was disappointing compared to my car's Arctic Alpin
winter tires.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

What's a lawn ? We have some kind of wild grass growing out there , but it
ain't a "lawn" . "Grassy clearing in the woods" is probably the best
description . And when we get iced in down here in The Holler the only way
we're gonna move is to chain up . No studded tires here . Gotta check out
chain prices for the tractor and Ma's car ... she ain't gonna be happy . "If
it's not one thing , it's another" .
Wouldn't be so bad but I hit her yesterday with a need for a new back tire
for Mr. Motorcycle , at around a hundred forty bucks . It just never ends
.... I'm glad I can work on my own stuff , if I had to pay for labor I'd be
ridin' a bicycle .
--
Snag
Or walkin'

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
...........Arctic Alpin

...And when we get iced in down here in The Holler the only way
we're gonna move is to chain up . No studded tires here . Gotta
check out chain prices for the tractor and Ma's car ... she ain't
gonna be happy . "If it's not one thing , it's another" .
Snag

Here in New England two feet of snow or two inches of ice on the road
is a damn nuisance that slows down the rush hour commute. The only
thing that actually immobilizes us is trees and possibly live power
lines fallen across the road.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
...........Arctic Alpin

...And when we get iced in down here in The Holler the only way
we're gonna move is to chain up . No studded tires here . Gotta
check out chain prices for the tractor and Ma's car ... she ain't
gonna be happy . "If it's not one thing , it's another" .
Snag

Here in New England two feet of snow or two inches of ice on the road
is a damn nuisance that slows down the rush hour commute. The only
thing that actually immobilizes us is trees and possibly live power
lines fallen across the road.

Here in the Ozarks we have a real problem when it ices . Snow isn't as
much of a problem , but the elevation changes here will flat **** you up on
ice unless you've got chains . Wife totalled one last winter , and she's a
very experienced snow/ice driver . Learned the same place I did , northern
Utah .
People here don't get enough practice on slick roads to get comfortable
with limited traction . It doesn't help that most snow storms here begin
with rain that turns to sleet/ice/freezing rain then snow . Makes for a
potentially deadly situation .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 2:04:03 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
Got the hydrailic quick-disconnects replaced today on the tractor ,
mounted the front blade and exercised it a bit smoothing out the driveway .
I need some weight on the back of the machine , I'm spinning the tires when
I take a decent bite (tractor tread , not turf) .

Terry, are the tires filled with liquid? If not, that might be most of what ou need, plus some wheel weights you can make yourself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/9/2014 4:48 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I use a rotary tiller to balance the back end down but plan on making a
heavy lift box and leave the tiller in safety. Sometimes one backs
into trees or such in the operation of some fancy curves. The front
bucket easily can be the weight box if the back needs counter weight.
I can back up and pick up quickly and that is easy enough to load with
water or steel. I'll just build in a bottom host fitting so I can
spread the water around instead of boring a hole into the ground.

Having 4 wheel drive also helps but weight and 4 wheel does do the job.

I only wish I had the next tractor size up, but to late now.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/9/2014 6:09 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
...........Arctic Alpin

...And when we get iced in down here in The Holler the only way
we're gonna move is to chain up . No studded tires here . Gotta
check out chain prices for the tractor and Ma's car ... she ain't
gonna be happy . "If it's not one thing , it's another" .
Snag

Here in New England two feet of snow or two inches of ice on the road
is a damn nuisance that slows down the rush hour commute. The only
thing that actually immobilizes us is trees and possibly live power
lines fallen across the road.

I know that one. Earth quake and trees fall all over. Pacific storm
and trees fall for 90 days afterwards. One winter I carried a chain saw
and gas in the back of the truck so I could get home or go to work.
Often I'd come upon a 20" Redwood across the highway and you would see
two or three saws working on it. Tricky if the road is hilly - watch
which way the logs roll. Most often they were on a clearing with a
valley from the ocean. UP draft and gusts do the job.

One winter storm after the '89 earthquake kept the house out of power
for 3 weeks. The earthquake was a week and a half. Some in less time.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 14:03:54 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

[...]

Just out of curiosity....how well would truck bed liner..the spray in
Rino Liner t ype stuff work inside the mower deck for protection?
Many vibrating deburing machines now spray the inside of the big bowls
with truck bed liner....

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Good question ! A good friend has an antique car resto business , he has
recently started doing Rhino lining . I think the stuff needs a rust-free
surface to adhere properly , and that will be a problem with this unit .
I'll be asking ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

What bike? I ride the dark side on my 'wing. Currently have almost 30K
on the Khumo that's on it and it was under 100 bucks mounted!

(Dark side FYI is using a properly sized auto tire in place of the
EXTREMELY expensive bike tires)

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, November 10, 2014 8:15:34 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Good question ! A good friend has an antique car resto business , he has
recently started doing Rhino lining . I think the stuff needs a rust-free

surface to adhere properly , and that will be a problem with this unit .

I remember hearing that simple kitchen and bath cleaners make most metal rust free.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/9/2014 3:03 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Got the hydrailic quick-disconnects replaced today on the tractor ,
mounted the front blade and exercised it a bit smoothing out the driveway .
I need some weight on the back of the machine , I'm spinning the tires when
I take a decent bite (tractor tread , not turf) . I expect it'll be just
fine if I need to move a little snow just as it is now ... but if we get ice
I'm thinking I'll need chains .

You may want to investigate liquid filled rear tires.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:13:54 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Khumo is a good bike tire brand? Before long Ill be retireing the BMW
and wanted to avoid spending the money on Avons....

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 08:09:32 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Just out of curiosity....how well would truck bed liner..the spray in
Rino Liner t ype stuff work inside the mower deck for protection?
Many vibrating deburing machines now spray the inside of the big bowls
with truck bed liner....

I think it would cause grass to stick to the deck and cause more
problems than it's worth with buildup. There are sprays for decks
now, butcha gotta lift them to use it each time. PITA.
http://tinyurl.com/kms8mmx Silicone, more or less.
--

Ive seen a lot of farm equipment out here having Rino Liner put in the
hoppers and bins and whatnot. Doesnt seem to allow much if any build

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just out of curiosity....how well would truck bed liner..the spray in
Rino Liner t ype stuff work inside the mower deck for protection?
Many vibrating deburing machines now spray the inside of the big bowls
with truck bed liner....

I think it would cause grass to stick to the deck and cause more
problems than it's worth with buildup. There are sprays for decks
now, butcha gotta lift them to use it each time. PITA.
http://tinyurl.com/kms8mmx Silicone, more or less.
--

Ive seen a lot of farm equipment out here having Rino Liner put in the
hoppers and bins and whatnot. Doesnt seem to allow much if any build
up..which is why they are using it.

Maybe it'll work just fine. Who's going to guinea pig it?

--
Newman's First Law:
It is useless to put on your brakes when you're upside down.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I'm on a '90 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide , been running Dunlop Elite
3's . This last one was a real disappointment , got less than 5k out of it .
They've been giving me between 12 and 15 thousand , so this was a surprise
when I saw it was gone . I'm considering going to the American Elite , a bit
more money but it's supposed to have a harder rubber compound in the center
for better wear . Actually , I'm wondering if ANY tire is going to give me
decent wear (and reasonable grip), considering the way I like to ride the
roads around here ... just because you CAN drag **** doesn't mean you SHOULD
.. And yet ...

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Kraus wrote:
On 11/9/2014 3:03 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Got the hydrailic quick-disconnects replaced today on the tractor ,
mounted the front blade and exercised it a bit smoothing out the
driveway . I need some weight on the back of the machine , I'm
spinning the tires when I take a decent bite (tractor tread , not
turf) . I expect it'll be just fine if I need to move a little snow
just as it is now ... but if we get ice I'm thinking I'll need
chains .

You may want to investigate liquid filled rear tires.

These are tubeless , and the rims are already corroded a little bit . What
do they use to keep from rusting/rotting the steel rims ?

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/10/2014 3:25 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Larry Kraus wrote:
On 11/9/2014 3:03 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Got the hydrailic quick-disconnects replaced today on the tractor ,
mounted the front blade and exercised it a bit smoothing out the
driveway . I need some weight on the back of the machine , I'm
spinning the tires when I take a decent bite (tractor tread , not
turf) . I expect it'll be just fine if I need to move a little snow
just as it is now ... but if we get ice I'm thinking I'll need
chains .

You may want to investigate liquid filled rear tires.

These are tubeless , and the rims are already corroded a little bit . What
do they use to keep from rusting/rotting the steel rims ?

Some add tubes (even with tubeless tires), some use "beet juice". The
juice is made from sugar beets, heavier than water, does not cause
corrosion. Also sold as "Rim Guard". Google will get you a lot more
info. You might want to do a rough calculation of the volume available
in your tires to determine how much weight you can gain this way. I
Googled pictures of the 317 and the sidewalls look a little short.
Might be better off hanging a rototiller or some other implement off the
back to provide some weight. Or maybe build a box to hang off the back,
fill it when you need weight, empty it carry firewood, tools, etc. the
rest of the time. Does your 317 have a three point hitch in the rear?

I've not used liquid in my Kubota tires since I have 4WD and most of
my use is mowing. I don't want the extra weight compacting the lawn.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Kraus wrote:
[...]

It doesn't have a 3 point - yet . The box idea has merit , but will not
hold enough wood to make it worthwhile . I'll be using the tractor to haul
firewood rounds (or logs , maybe) out of the woods and plan on either
building or buying a small trailer . Just looking , I think a couple of bags
of sand on the fenders might be a good solution . Lack of horsepowers is NOT
going to be a problem ! I discovered today that the front blade is power
down too ... I actually lifted the front wheels off the ground and dragged a
pile of dirt/gravel to do some levelling . And my driveway has never ever
looked so good . I'm still developing a touch for this , but a little more
practice will help . Oh I have SO many things this tractor is going to help
with !
Gotta find me a plow ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

There are a few auto tires that will fit that rim.
195 60 16 is the size.

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires

Will show you what some folks are running. I usually average around 35
thou. on a tire. Handles the roads better, especially rain/dirt. There
are folks who will tell you that it can't work. I know a LOT of folks
who can prove them wrong.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wonder if the molasses people use for derusting would work as well as "beet
juice"?

A friend used to have an auto repair business, and acquired a 317 that ran
ok but was down on compression and burned oil and had been abused heavily
over a long life. He added a scrap steel plate that he had to the rear as
weight, maybe 100-125 lbs (2' dia, 1" thick?), bolting it to the bottom of
the frame so it stuck out the back and a rider could stand on it. Strung an
old tire across the front and put a wire rope with hook on the back and used
it to push or tow dead cars around the parking lot. Even pulled some motor
homes, with extra guys pushing to help. I don't think it ever stalled but
traction was always the limiting factor, on asphalt and hard packed
gravel/dirt. Between us we totaled about 650 lbs, with him driving and me
standing on the steel plate, and it was still spinning the rear tires trying
to move a motor home :-).

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Larry Kraus wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carl Ijames wrote:

Wonder if the molasses people use for
derusting would work as well as "beet*
juice"?*

A simple 99 cent bottle of window cleaner would do PK.

Smooth concrete Will[_8_] UK diy 14 October 13th 10 02:02 PM
How smooth is smooth enough? Amateur Q. m. scott veach Woodworking 15 January 14th 08 02:32 AM
How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface. Sam Nickaby Home Repair 21 July 24th 06 05:54 PM
Smooth finish on MDF sploo Woodworking 23 August 3rd 05 07:42 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM