Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Smooth(er) Driveway

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:13:54 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Got the hydrailic quick-disconnects replaced today on the tractor ,
mounted the front blade and exercised it a bit smoothing out the
driveway . I need some weight on the back of the machine , I'm
spinning the tires when I take a decent bite (tractor tread , not
turf) . I expect it'll be just fine if I need to move a little snow
just as it is now ... but if we get ice I'm thinking I'll need
chains . Fortunately it has independent rear brakes , might help in
slick conditions .
Looks like the only big project left on it now is repairs to the
mower deck - and I may be able to find a replacement for that
instead . Matter of money vs time , and I have a lot more of the
latter ... The deck has an advanced case of cancer , but I have the
material needed to repair it . I wouldn't dare spin up the blades
the way it is now , but repairs look to be pretty straightforward
and simple . Looks like the major problem will be maintaining the
blades all in the same plane should I decide to cut the bad pieces
out rather than doubling them . Both ways have their plusses . And
minusses ...
--
Snag
And I'm in it just over 400 bucks so far . Unless you count my time

Home-made chains on ag tires didn't do my lawn any good and their
traction on ice was disappointing compared to my car's Arctic Alpin
winter tires.

What's a lawn ? We have some kind of wild grass growing out there , but it
ain't a "lawn" . "Grassy clearing in the woods" is probably the best
description . And when we get iced in down here in The Holler the only way
we're gonna move is to chain up . No studded tires here . Gotta check out
chain prices for the tractor and Ma's car ... she ain't gonna be happy . "If
it's not one thing , it's another" .
Wouldn't be so bad but I hit her yesterday with a need for a new back tire
for Mr. Motorcycle , at around a hundred forty bucks . It just never ends
... I'm glad I can work on my own stuff , if I had to pay for labor I'd be
ridin' a bicycle .

What bike? I ride the dark side on my 'wing. Currently have almost 30K
on the Khumo that's on it and it was under 100 bucks mounted!

(Dark side FYI is using a properly sized auto tire in place of the
EXTREMELY expensive bike tires)

Khumo is a good bike tire brand? Before long Ill be retireing the BMW
and wanted to avoid spending the money on Avons....

PJ O'Rourke