Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smooth concrete

Anyone know how the professionals get such a smooth finish on their
concrete - mine always has air pockets and a rough surface?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/10 11:42, Will wrote:
Anyone know how the professionals get such a smooth finish on their
concrete - mine always has air pockets and a rough surface?

Vibrating poker or using a stick to similar effect sorts out the
entrapped air.

I've got a pretty nice finish in the past with floating it off.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct, 11:46, Tim Watts wrote:
On 10/10/10 11:42, Will wrote:

Anyone know how the professionals get such a smooth finish on their
concrete - mine always has air pockets and a rough surface?

Vibrating poker or using a stick to similar effect sorts out the
entrapped air.

I've got a pretty nice finish in the past with floating it off.

Cheers

Tim

Yup, pokering. It also, IME, causes the aggregates to sink somewhat,
(hence, I assume the warnings about over-pokering) leaving an easily-
skimmed cement-only layer at the top.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct, 11:42, "Will" wrote:
Anyone know how the professionals get such a smooth finish on their
concrete - mine always has air pockets and a rough surface?

There's a good book out there on "Concrete countertops", how to do
decorative concrete in kitchens and even bathrooms.

Vibrating pokers are one part, for de-bubbling (mine's home made and
goes on the Mutleymaster). Plasticised mixes too. Then you float
while it's wet and grind when it's dry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There's a good book out there on "Concrete countertops", how to do
decorative concrete in kitchens and even bathrooms.

I've looked through a mate's copy of that, very good for the diy-er
with the time and space to experiment.

Vibrating pokers are one part, for de-bubbling (mine's home made and
goes on the Mutleymaster). Plasticised mixes too. *Then you float
while it's wet and grind when it's dry.

Oooh - show us yours! I bought the genuine multimaster poker when it
was a discounted end-of-line - it was rubbish beyond belief, you'd be
lucky to poker a teacup of concrete with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct, 12:31, " wrote:
There's a good book out there on "Concrete countertops", how to do
decorative concrete in kitchens and even bathrooms.

I've looked through a mate's copy of that, very good for the diy-er
with the time and space to experiment.

Vibrating pokers are one part, for de-bubbling (mine's home made and
goes on the Mutleymaster). Plasticised mixes too. *Then you float
while it's wet and grind when it's dry.

Oooh - show us yours! I bought the genuine multimaster poker when it
was a discounted end-of-line - it was rubbish beyond belief, you'd be
lucky to poker a teacup of concrete with it.

The high frequency ones are wonderful. You need to wear gloves, they
will take the skin off your hands.
There are also vibrating beams and power floats. All do a better job
than you can do by hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Will" saying
something like:

Anyone know how the professionals get such a smooth finish on their
concrete - mine always has air pockets and a rough surface?

On small areas a length of batten flittered on the surface does it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct, 12:31, " wrote:

Vibrating pokers are one part, for de-bubbling (mine's home made and
goes on the Mutleymaster).

Oooh - show us yours!

I've no idea how these are supposed to work, but it needed to turn
rotational oscillation into a sideways movement. So mine is plastic
tube (airline? pub beer line?) with a screw thread wired and glue-
gunned into one end, and an off-centre weight (couple of big nails,
bamboo chopstick fillers) glue-gunned into the other. Then run it
slowly, otherwise it behaves like a lariat and the weight hangs still
while the pipe wobbles on its own.

I bought the genuine multimaster poker when it
was a discounted end-of-line - it was rubbish beyond belief, you'd be
lucky to poker a teacup of concrete with it.

That's a bit disappointing! If Fein can't get things right...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Will" wrote in message
b.com...
Anyone know how the professionals get such a smooth finish on their
concrete - mine always has air pockets and a rough surface?

Talk of concrete reminds me of a pet grudge. Why is it that you can drive
on concrete motorways on the continent and they are smooth and quiet.
Drive on one over here (e.g. M25) and it is like driving over corrugated
iron; and you can't hear yourself think for the road noise.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's a bit disappointing! *If Fein can't get things right...

It's the only Fein thing I've ever had issue with. All their other
kit, and all the other multimaster accessories have been excellent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The high frequency ones are wonderful. You need to wear gloves, they
will take the skin off your hands.

Not tried a HF one, I usually hire a small electric unit from HSS
(though I should have bought one by now, for what I've paid in hire
charges).

The small electric ones (shoebox size power unit containing the motor,
plus 3-4m hose and vibrating head) - have been excellent. Readily
comparable with the large compressor driven units used on construction
sites.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote

Anyone know how the professionals get such a smooth finish on their
concrete - mine always has air pockets and a rough surface?

On small areas a length of batten flittered on the surface does it.

What does flittered mean in this context exactly? Something similar to
"tamped" perhaps?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:20:55 +0100, Tinkerer wrote:

"Will" wrote in message
b.com...
Anyone know how the professionals get such a smooth finish on their
concrete - mine always has air pockets and a rough surface?

Talk of concrete reminds me of a pet grudge. Why is it that you can
drive on concrete motorways on the continent and they are smooth and
quiet. Drive on one over here (e.g. M25) and it is like driving over
corrugated iron; and you can't hear yourself think for the road noise.

Some ex-spurt sold the guvmint on it as a elfin dafty jobby. The ridges
see, they stop vehicles sliding abart in the ice. Said ex-spurt works
for a tyre company. Go figure.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "TheScullster"
saying something like:

On small areas a length of batten flittered on the surface does it.

What does flittered mean in this context exactly? Something similar to
"tamped" perhaps?

Tamping but edge or side on, not lengthways.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:20:55 +0100, Tinkerer wrote:

"Will" wrote in message
b.com...
Anyone know how the professionals get such a smooth finish on their
concrete - mine always has air pockets and a rough surface?

Talk of concrete reminds me of a pet grudge. Why is it that you can
drive on concrete motorways on the continent and they are smooth and
quiet. Drive on one over here (e.g. M25) and it is like driving over
corrugated iron; and you can't hear yourself think for the road noise.

Some ex-spurt sold the guvmint on it as a elfin dafty jobby. The ridges
see, they stop vehicles sliding abart in the ice. Said ex-spurt works
for a tyre company. Go figure.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds similar to a story about the minister
who got Beeching to ditch the railways being tied up with a firm that built
motorways. ;o)
--
Tinkerer

Smooth finish to concrete subsill - Horticultural Grit ? Housemartin UK diy 2 July 31st 09 10:46 AM
how to smooth glass? J.Lef Home Repair 9 February 6th 08 03:41 PM
How smooth is smooth enough? Amateur Q. m. scott veach Woodworking 15 January 14th 08 02:32 AM
How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface. Sam Nickaby Home Repair 21 July 24th 06 05:54 PM
BUILDING SHOP: SMOOTH OR ROUGH CONCRETE? knowone Metalworking 35 December 8th 05 06:58 AM