Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Smooth(er) Driveway

Larry Kraus wrote:
On 11/10/2014 3:25 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Larry Kraus wrote:
On 11/9/2014 3:03 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Got the hydrailic quick-disconnects replaced today on the
tractor , mounted the front blade and exercised it a bit smoothing
out the driveway . I need some weight on the back of the machine ,
I'm spinning the tires when I take a decent bite (tractor tread ,
not turf) . I expect it'll be just fine if I need to move a little
snow just as it is now ... but if we get ice I'm thinking I'll need
chains .

You may want to investigate liquid filled rear tires.

These are tubeless , and the rims are already corroded a little bit
. What do they use to keep from rusting/rotting the steel rims ?

Some add tubes (even with tubeless tires), some use "beet juice". The
juice is made from sugar beets, heavier than water, does not cause
corrosion. Also sold as "Rim Guard". Google will get you a lot more
info. You might want to do a rough calculation of the volume available
in your tires to determine how much weight you can gain this way. I
Googled pictures of the 317 and the sidewalls look a little short.
Might be better off hanging a rototiller or some other implement off
the back to provide some weight. Or maybe build a box to hang off the
back, fill it when you need weight, empty it carry firewood, tools,
etc. the rest of the time. Does your 317 have a three point hitch in
the rear?
I've not used liquid in my Kubota tires since I have 4WD and most of
my use is mowing. I don't want the extra weight compacting the lawn.

It doesn't have a 3 point - yet . The box idea has merit , but will not
hold enough wood to make it worthwhile . I'll be using the tractor to haul
firewood rounds (or logs , maybe) out of the woods and plan on either
building or buying a small trailer . Just looking , I think a couple of bags
of sand on the fenders might be a good solution . Lack of horsepowers is NOT
going to be a problem ! I discovered today that the front blade is power
down too ... I actually lifted the front wheels off the ground and dragged a
pile of dirt/gravel to do some levelling . And my driveway has never ever
looked so good . I'm still developing a touch for this , but a little more
practice will help . Oh I have SO many things this tractor is going to help
with !
Gotta find me a plow ...
--
Snag