Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Smooth(er) Driveway

Terry Coombs wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 11:13:54 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Got the hydrailic quick-disconnects replaced today on the
tractor , mounted the front blade and exercised it a bit
smoothing out the driveway . I need some weight on the back of
the machine , I'm spinning the tires when I take a decent bite
(tractor tread , not turf) . I expect it'll be just fine if I
need to move a little snow just as it is now ... but if we get
ice I'm thinking I'll need chains . Fortunately it has
independent rear brakes , might help in slick conditions .
Looks like the only big project left on it now is repairs to the
mower deck - and I may be able to find a replacement for that
instead . Matter of money vs time , and I have a lot more of the
latter ... The deck has an advanced case of cancer , but I have
the material needed to repair it . I wouldn't dare spin up the
blades the way it is now , but repairs look to be pretty
straightforward and simple . Looks like the major problem will be
maintaining the blades all in the same plane should I decide to
cut the bad pieces out rather than doubling them . Both ways have
their plusses . And minusses ...
--
Snag
And I'm in it just over 400 bucks so far . Unless you count my

Home-made chains on ag tires didn't do my lawn any good and their
traction on ice was disappointing compared to my car's Arctic Alpin
winter tires.
What's a lawn ? We have some kind of wild grass growing out there
, but it ain't a "lawn" . "Grassy clearing in the woods" is
probably the best description . And when we get iced in down here
in The Holler the only way we're gonna move is to chain up . No
studded tires here . Gotta check out chain prices for the tractor
and Ma's car ... she ain't gonna be happy . "If it's not one thing
, it's another" . Wouldn't be so bad but I hit her yesterday with
a need for a new back tire for Mr. Motorcycle , at around a hundred
forty bucks . It just never ends ... I'm glad I can work on my own
stuff , if I had to pay for labor I'd be ridin' a bicycle .
What bike? I ride the dark side on my 'wing. Currently have almost
30K on the Khumo that's on it and it was under 100 bucks mounted!

(Dark side FYI is using a properly sized auto tire in place of the
EXTREMELY expensive bike tires)

Khumo is a good bike tire brand? Before long Ill be retireing the BMW
and wanted to avoid spending the money on Avons....

I'm on a '90 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide , been running Dunlop Elite
3's . This last one was a real disappointment , got less than 5k out of it .
They've been giving me between 12 and 15 thousand , so this was a surprise
when I saw it was gone . I'm considering going to the American Elite , a bit
more money but it's supposed to have a harder rubber compound in the center
for better wear . Actually , I'm wondering if ANY tire is going to give me
decent wear (and reasonable grip), considering the way I like to ride the
roads around here ... just because you CAN drag **** doesn't mean you SHOULD
. And yet ...

There are a few auto tires that will fit that rim.
195 60 16 is the size.

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires

Will show you what some folks are running. I usually average around 35
thou. on a tire. Handles the roads better, especially rain/dirt. There
are folks who will tell you that it can't work. I know a LOT of folks
who can prove them wrong.

--
Steve W.