Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Smooth(er) Driveway

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Got the hydrailic quick-disconnects replaced today on the tractor ,
mounted the front blade and exercised it a bit smoothing out the
driveway . I need some weight on the back of the machine , I'm
spinning the tires when I take a decent bite (tractor tread , not
turf) . I expect it'll be just fine if I need to move a little snow
just as it is now ... but if we get ice I'm thinking I'll need
chains . Fortunately it has independent rear brakes , might help in
slick conditions .
Looks like the only big project left on it now is repairs to the
mower deck - and I may be able to find a replacement for that
instead . Matter of money vs time , and I have a lot more of the
latter ... The deck has an advanced case of cancer , but I have the
material needed to repair it . I wouldn't dare spin up the blades
the way it is now , but repairs look to be pretty straightforward
and simple . Looks like the major problem will be maintaining the
blades all in the same plane should I decide to cut the bad pieces
out rather than doubling them . Both ways have their plusses . And
minusses ...
--
Snag
And I'm in it just over 400 bucks so far . Unless you count my time

I acquired a neighbor's leftover wheel weights for a riding mower he
had sold, and some 1" steel plate that I attached inside the rear
frame where it doesn't interfere with anything. It's nice to have a
milling machine to modify stuff like this.

Home-made chains on ag tires didn't do my lawn any good and their
traction on ice was disappointing compared to my car's Arctic Alpin
winter tires.