Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My boat is ready to go in the water

Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

Late this afternoon..I moved the next refurb into the work area...

This one..gets a full custom cabin and lots of little tweeks and mods

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Venture24

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

It only took 2.5 months..

It will take you another 2.5 months to learn how to post some pictures,
you incompetent ****ing clown.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Looks awesome, perfect love nest

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/2/2013 7:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

Late this afternoon..I moved the next refurb into the work area...

This one..gets a full custom cabin and lots of little tweeks and mods

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Venture24

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Looks pretty good, Gunner.
If the sails shape as well, you are going to be ok.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:11:05 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

I thought you had already fixed the wooden runners on the trailer.
Those look like they're still indenting the fiberglass of the boat
pretty deeply (couple inches?) at the front now.

The dingus was probably a bracket for a deck light or sumpin'.

Late this afternoon..I moved the next refurb into the work area...

This one..gets a full custom cabin and lots of little tweeks and mods

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Venture24

--
Just as a picture is drawn by an artist, surroundings
are created by the activities of the mind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, December 2, 2013 5:11:05 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

Late this afternoon..I moved the next refurb into the work area...

This one..gets a full custom cabin and lots of little tweeks and mods

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Venture24

--

"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don�t want to do that

but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Now Wieber can sleep in his boat and rent out his bedroom to yet another roommate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-12-03, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

Pity that is it not reasonable weather to *use* it now. (Or at
least not so here, not sure about CA.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 19:51:53 -0600, Ignoramus7116
wrote:

Looks awesome, perfect love nest

Maybe when it warms up a little...shrug..but Ill be sailing all winter
in warm clothes. I do have a Coleman stove and whatnot stocked in the
boat..I could hook up and take a sail from the coast to Frisco or
north..or down to Ensenada Mexico with no issues. Id have to put more
water on board and stock the pantries though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 22:09:13 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 12/2/2013 7:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

Late this afternoon..I moved the next refurb into the work area...

This one..gets a full custom cabin and lots of little tweeks and mods

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Venture24

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Looks pretty good, Gunner.
If the sails shape as well, you are going to be ok.

The original jib and main are about 35 yrs old...but still pocket
properly. I suspect the boat didnt get much time before I wound up
with it. Both sails are very light and not coated..about 5oz dacron.
I picked up an 150% genoa from a gal in Wisconson for $25 and $24
shipping..she had a good sail locker from a Balboa 20..same rig..but I
only wanted the genny and she sent it to me. A nearly new sail! Great
genny with good material..bout 8 oz and coated. The sail bag it came
in said "genoa, Balboa 20, # 666" ...which did give me something of a
twinge..but its a damned nice genny and since much of our wind is
lightish...will be greatly needed.

The V24 has 5 bags of sails and Ive not spread them out yet..though I
did notice one was marked "storm jib". Its been rigged for a
chute..but dont know if there is one in there or not. Next weekend Ill
lay out my sails and see what Ive got.

The Ensenada 20 is considered a slow but very very stable boat with
very little heel even in good gusts. I hope the genny makes up for it
and Im looking for a chute for it as well.

I know going into it..that the Venture 24 is considered tender and I
will be working the main a lot.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

I thought you had already fixed the wooden runners on the trailer.
Those look like they're still indenting the fiberglass of the boat
pretty deeply (couple inches?) at the front now.

The dingus was probably a bracket for a deck light or sumpin'.

Nope,,put new douglas fire 2x6s down, with the old bunk carpet on it.
The indentations were from the previous bad bunkers.

I had to raise the boat up with the engine hoist shown..then glassed
in a piece of PVC pipe after jacking out the dents. It made it quite
solit. My only serious ****up was welding in a pair of mid bunk
supports..and forgetting that the boats stern was hanging from the
engine hoist. Which made the mid bunk supports the high spot..not the
lowest. Some of the ;later photos show the new wood with the old
carpets laid on them. Id not gotten my scraps handy yet.

Late this afternoon..I moved the next refurb into the work area...

This one..gets a full custom cabin and lots of little tweeks and mods

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Venture24

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3 Dec 2013 06:00:10 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-12-03, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

Pity that is it not reasonable weather to *use* it now. (Or at
least not so here, not sure about CA.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Today it was 71 with a variable wind around 10-15 knots, tonight its
down in the high 30s..chilly.

We have little to no snow here and winter tends to bring out the sail
gys and windsurfers because its not dust devil wints but true winds.

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:14:39 -0800, dh@. wrote:

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

It only took 2.5 months..

It will take you another 2.5 months to learn how to post some pictures,
you incompetent ****ing clown.

Funny. Over here in Thailand it is almost instantaneous to load either
of the photos.

Must be a crappy computer on your end.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

Late this afternoon..I moved the next refurb into the work area...

This one..gets a full custom cabin and lots of little tweeks and mods

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Venture24

Only you would spend 80+ hours refurbishing a boat that you could sell
for $1800 at most. And it still looks like a nest of badgers has been
sleeping in it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:14:39 -0800, dh@. wrote:

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

It only took 2.5 months..

It will take you another 2.5 months to learn how to post some pictures,
you incompetent ****ing clown.

Hey dh@

Worked OK way over here. All of them.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/3/2013 8:39 AM, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:14:39 -0800, dh@. wrote:

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

It only took 2.5 months..

It will take you another 2.5 months to learn how to post some pictures,
you incompetent ****ing clown.

Hey dh@

Worked OK way over here. All of them.

They do now, but they didn't for hours after the ****worm posted the links.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:44:54 AM UTC-8, jazzbeaux wrote:
On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

Late this afternoon..I moved the next refurb into the work area...

This one..gets a full custom cabin and lots of little tweeks and mods

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Venture24

Only you would spend 80+ hours refurbishing a boat that you could sell

for $1800 at most. And it still looks like a nest of badgers has been

sleeping in it.

Wieber's plan is probably to live in it and rent out his bedroom to another roommate.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 07:44:54 -0800, jazzbeaux crimefighters@world
wrote:

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

It only took 2.5 months..but I had to do other stuff along the way.

Late this afternoon..I moved the next refurb into the work area...

This one..gets a full custom cabin and lots of little tweeks and mods

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/Venture24

Only you would spend 80+ hours refurbishing a boat that you could sell
for $1800 at most. And it still looks like a nest of badgers has been
sleeping in it.

Humm? Ive got bout 10 hours in it, here and there. Maybe 12..

80+? Oh...I didnt notice who you were. Sorry..its early yet and I
didnt catch the stench of your nym changing buffoonery. Morning sinus
issues.

What the **** gives you the idea I refurbed it for resale? I
refurbed it to sail.

My total cost was about $250. Quart and a half of fiberglass
resin, fiberglass cloth, teak oil, paint, all new lines (Spectra) and
4 good Harken blocks. Bought a Apelco marine vhf radio and good used
deep cycle marine battery , two good used tires for the trailer, 2 new
taillights from HF and (2) 2x6 x10 douglas fire planks for the
bunkers. Bought the cleaning supplies from the 99c store as well as
the paint brushes. I have 3 gallons of 2 cycle oil for the outboard
and the new hoses cost me $3.27

The Venture 24 is going to be the expensive one..Im designing and
building custome cabinetry. Its going to be a vacation boat. What
with the price of marine plywood...it may cost me up to $500.
Gonna gut it and rebuild from the bilge upwards. Since I paid about
$75 for the boat and trailer and 9.9 long shaft Seamaster outboard, 5
bags of sails, a ton of misc accessories...I think I can do a fair
amount and remain under budget....dont you?

Snicker

You are one of those that calls in the plumber, the electrician and
the lawn care guy..arent you? Of course you are.

Gunner

I did mention that Ive got $75 in the boat ..thats what I paid for it.
--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 11:39:30 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:14:39 -0800, dh@. wrote:

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

It only took 2.5 months..

It will take you another 2.5 months to learn how to post some pictures,
you incompetent ****ing clown.

Hey dh@

Worked OK way over here. All of them.

Dhu is incapable of running his computer properly is what he is
admitting.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

---

"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Something to think about, Gunner.
Adding "cabinetry" to a very light boat like the Venture is something I
would not do. And I LOVE making things for my boats.

I say that because it adds dead weight to the boat,
takes up interior space, and _can_ turn out to be
more in the way that useful.

Go slow and minimal for best results.

Marine plywood may not be necessary.
I've used a lot of baltic birch with good results
BECAUSE I use the West System system.
Three coats of resin to completely seal the wood.

It's not an extra expense for cheap wood because you really
need to do the same treatment to marine plywood too to keep
it from wicking up water.

But whichever wood you use, I strongly recommend that there
be no exposed end grain plywood. At bare minimum seal the
ends with epoxy. Better yet is to add solid wood stoppers
(also sealed with epoxy )

Well anyway...

At least you are right-side-up in both of them.

I'm still looking for a Capri 22.
Looks like that's going to be a bit more expensive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/3/2013 8:29 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:14:39 -0800, dh@. wrote:

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

It only took 2.5 months..

It will take you another 2.5 months to learn how to post some pictures,
you incompetent ****ing clown.

Funny. Over here in Thailand it is almost instantaneous to load either
of the photos.

Must be a crappy computer on your end.

I suspect the error is in the chair/keyboard interface.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 16:43:16 -0600, Richard
wrote:

Something to think about, Gunner.
Adding "cabinetry" to a very light boat like the Venture is something I
would not do. And I LOVE making things for my boats.

I say that because it adds dead weight to the boat,
takes up interior space, and _can_ turn out to be
more in the way that useful.

Go slow and minimal for best results.

what..this may be a bit much?

http://macgregoryachts.com/search-details.cfm?y=94949

Marine plywood may not be necessary.
I've used a lot of baltic birch with good results
BECAUSE I use the West System system.
Three coats of resin to completely seal the wood.

It's not an extra expense for cheap wood because you really
need to do the same treatment to marine plywood too to keep
it from wicking up water.

But whichever wood you use, I strongly recommend that there
be no exposed end grain plywood. At bare minimum seal the
ends with epoxy. Better yet is to add solid wood stoppers
(also sealed with epoxy )

Well anyway...

At least you are right-side-up in both of them.

I'm still looking for a Capri 22.
Looks like that's going to be a bit more expensive.

Capri 22s? Those are somewhat easy to find. That being said..they
started production in the mid 1980s and there arnt all that many out
there.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=166

I did mention the Yahoo group Freesailboats..right?

Sign up, and go through the ads at least once a week.

When reading the messages..you will notice I post about 2x a week with
up to 40 boats at a time.

whats your maximum price? How far are you willing to drive to pick
one up?

also keep your eyes peeled on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Catalin...-/111227268674

(The Cat 22 swing keels are FAST!!)

set up up a search on Ebay and check it once a week.

Btw...the Santana 22 and the S2 6.9 are head and heels faster than the
Capri..and Ive posted both for under a grand. There is one in
Phoenix for $500 (Santana 22) on a trailer that would need very little
fixing.

Want a family boat or a racer? The Capri 25 is much faster btw.

We are getting into less boats as the winter progresses.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

http://macgregoryachts.com/search-details.cfm?y=94949

CRAP! Those peak tank racks really brought back some lousy PCF memories!

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Something to think about, Gunner.
Adding "cabinetry" to a very light boat like the Venture is something I
would not do. And I LOVE making things for my boats.

I say that because it adds dead weight to the boat,
takes up interior space, and _can_ turn out to be
more in the way that useful.

Go slow and minimal for best results.

what..this may be a bit much?

http://macgregoryachts.com/search-details.cfm?y=94949

It seems they're using a slightly larger dinghy than you for their
basic boat, bubba. You'll never get a queen size bed, let alone that
kitchen setup, in a 24. giggle

Marine plywood may not be necessary.
I've used a lot of baltic birch with good results
BECAUSE I use the West System system.
Three coats of resin to completely seal the wood.

Baltic Birch is bitchen, boy.

--
Just as a picture is drawn by an artist, surroundings
are created by the activities of the mind.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/3/2013 7:10 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I'm still looking for a Capri 22.
Looks like that's going to be a bit more expensive.

Capri 22s? Those are somewhat easy to find. That being said..they
started production in the mid 1980s and there arnt all that many out
there.

About 1500 built, I believe.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=166

I did mention the Yahoo group Freesailboats..right?
Sign up, and go through the ads at least once a week.

When reading the messages..you will notice I post about 2x a week with
up to 40 boats at a time.

whats your maximum price? How far are you willing to drive to pick
one up?

The "how far" part is more of a limit than the price.
And price, of course, depends on the product.
For instance:
This guy has $10,750 "invested" in his '89 Capri 22.
http://sailingtexas.com/201301/scapri22167.html
NADA says base price average retail $2700 to $3500. $7500 retail.
So he's going to keep it for a while.

But the newer ones (5 years old maybe?) are still bringing $15000 to $18000.

also keep your eyes peeled on Ebay.

Two things there.
1) I don't DO Ebay. You can't make me.
So that's kind of a moot point.

2) I'm not interested in a swing keel boat.
Not even a FREE one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Catalin...-/111227268674

(The Cat 22 swing keels are FAST!!)

OH Lord, give me patience.
Because if you give me strength, I just might use it wrong!

No, grasshopper, that's not "fast".
Not even from just a speed perspective.

And no bleeping way if you refer to the boat's "pointing" ability.

Pointing.
The ability of a Christian to sail INTO the wind - without guilt.

Btw...the Santana 22 and the S2 6.9 are head and heels faster than the
Capri..and Ive posted both for under a grand. There is one in
Phoenix for $500 (Santana 22) on a trailer that would need very little
fixing.

The Santana and that S2 are both swing keels.
Just not at all interested.

Want a family boat or a racer? The Capri 25 is much faster btw.

We race now and then. As a family.
Kinda blurs the distinction somewhat.

Yes sir! The Capri 25 can go fast all right. It can PLANE!
So its not limited to hull speed of a displacement style hull.

But it's also 25 feet long.
It's LIGHTER than my Capri 26 (4500 versed 6000).
But that puts tow weight up near 6000 pounds.

Remember, I'm DOWN-sizing. And I have money.

My desires are thus:

Trailerable, yes. 3500 to 4000 pounds tow weight.

But high performance to windward. Because any old tub can go downwind!
That means a proper keel under the boat.
A wing keel is probably the way to go for this boat.

A deep fin would point best, but harder to float on the trailer.

The local lake (that still has any water in it) is down 8 feet.
Makes launching and retrieving a real issue. (ramp length)
Right now, I'd use the crane at the club to launch.
It has a 6000 pound limit.

Able to walk the mast up and down solo.
The Capri 22 is marginal there, but an A-frame system would solve that.
I could walk a 25 foot mast up without it (in my exuberant youth).

A decent cockpit! That's one of the best features of the Capri series.
Even the 18 had a huge, well arranged cockpit.

A cabin, yes, but that's not the reason for having the boat.
It's not a "motor home on the water" - at least not for me.

A good suit of sails. You motor heads will get this easily once you
understand that the sails are what powers the boat. (Well DUH!).
And the PULL the boat, so they literally "fly".
Shape matters.

Probably go "loose footed" this time - because it makes a better set up
for reefing. The fabric doesn't get caught between reefing line and
boom, where it chafes away (rapidly).

Two reef points - or maybe just two main sails. Large and small, with
one reef point each.

Storm jib, 100% working jib, and an asymmetrical spinnaker. Don't need
a lot of overlap on the jib because we are not racing to a design rule.
Yeah, I know they look cool and everybody has a big jib, but the Asym is
better in light air and the working jib better the rest of the time.

Remember, sails are sized to move the boat to hull speed in light air.
The rest of the time they are overpowered.

I could go on, but you probably get my drift.
I know what I want.
We'll find one.
That's all it takes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Something to think about, Gunner.
Adding "cabinetry" to a very light boat like the Venture is something I
would not do. And I LOVE making things for my boats.

I say that because it adds dead weight to the boat,
takes up interior space, and _can_ turn out to be
more in the way that useful.

Go slow and minimal for best results.

what..this may be a bit much?

http://macgregoryachts.com/search-details.cfm?y=94949

It seems they're using a slightly larger dinghy than you for their
basic boat, bubba. You'll never get a queen size bed, let alone that
kitchen setup, in a 24.giggle

Marine plywood may not be necessary.
I've used a lot of baltic birch with good results
BECAUSE I use the West System system.
Three coats of resin to completely seal the wood.

Baltic Birch is bitchen, boy.

Baltic Birch is wonderful to work with.
But it is more susceptible to rot.
Hence the epoxy seal...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 08:55:08 -0800, dh@. wrote:

On 12/3/2013 8:39 AM, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:14:39 -0800, dh@. wrote:

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

It only took 2.5 months..

It will take you another 2.5 months to learn how to post some pictures,
you incompetent ****ing clown.

Hey dh@

Worked OK way over here. All of them.

They do now, but they didn't for hours after the ****worm posted the links.

I see. You were hovering over Gunners site just waiting till he posted
a new picture....

You know, I believe you must be obsessed with Gunner, spending hours
watching him and I can only assume that your Mommy and Daddy support
you in a manner that you have become accustomed to so you have the
time to lurk on line and watch Gunner.

Pitiful.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 17:14:39 -0800, dh@. wrote:

On 12/2/2013 5:11 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Finished the refurbishment of the Ensenada 20 this morning

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...54671013202642

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...02/Ensenada20#

500 INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR

It only took 2.5 months..

It will take you another 2.5 months to learn how to post some pictures,
you incompetent ****ing clown.

Hey dh@

Worked OK way over here. All of them.

Dhu is incapable of running his computer properly is what he is
admitting.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

---

"Dhu" or "Dud"?
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ask and yee shall receive....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/4222627960.html

Hows that for service?

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/4225825258.html

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4226234251.html
Catalina 22 Sailboat '85 - $1000 (Lake Travis )
Need it gone ASAP. Make me an offer. I will post pics when I have a
chance to get up to the lake. Its been on the water for the last year,
unused. Could probably use a good bottom clean, and a carb clean on
the motor. I redid the teak, recovered the cusions, added a stereo
about 18 months ago. Has a solar charger and battery (battery was good
last time I was up there). Seriously just need it gone.
--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/4226564423.html

21' Calkins trailer for sale or trade - $400 (NW Austin)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
80's 21' Calkins sailboat trailer for sale or trade. It's in decent
shape, fully operable, carried a 1200 lb sailboat no problem. Needs
repaint, I have the title. I'm looking for a smaller boat trailer for
a 12' outboard power boat, less than 500 lbs capacity needed. Trailer
is in NW Austin, near Parmer and Mopac.

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm still looking for a Capri 22.
Looks like that's going to be a bit more expensive.

http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/4221956646.html
Laguna Windrose 18 Sailboat, sale or trade - $1200 (Corpus Christi
Marina)
image 1image 2image 3image 4image 5image 6image 7image 8image 9
Ready to sail, great condition classic 1974 micro yacht with a solid
hull and heavily reinforced. I sail her daily in the Corpus Christi
Bay, race, anchor out, cruise to Port Aransas, and have even taken her
45 miles into the Gulf in severe weather. Though I wouldn't recommend
the latter, the boat handled very well and will easily heave-to under
a triple-reefed main or trysail alone. If new to sailing, an
instructional sail can be provided.

*500 lb swing keel with lock-down bolt, self-righting, can be anchored
in 1 and a half feet of water with keel raised.

*Mast can be raised/lowered in minutes by 2 people

*Self-bailing cockpit with positive flotation due to large foam blocks
under cockpit and sealed in v-berth.

*Extra-large cabin sleeps 4 adults comfortably with plenty of room for
storage beneath v-berth and in cockpit lockers.

*Through-bolted hull to deck seam

*Average speed 4 to 5 knots, have reached 5.7 beating to windward and
6.2 on a broad reach.

*Can be easily moved by 2 rowing or with trolling motor in light air

Upkeep and modifications:

*Bottom job, Jan 2013, cleaned weekly by myself.
*New main birch bulkhead, twice as thick as original, tabbed and
bolted top and bottom
*Backing plates installed on most deck hardware
*Mast compression post added
*Jib tracks with cars
*All new turnbuckle screws
*New spreaders
*New mainsheet tackle and line and trackless traveller with cam cleats
*Spare main halyard block installed
*Topping lift
*Bilge pump
*Solar panel hard-wired to marine battery for LED lighted interior,
running lights and car outlet
*2 danforth anchors and 100 ft of anchor line
*New keel pivot bolt
*Horizontal axis self-steering windvane
*VHF radio with 12 volt charger
*12 volt PC computer with ATX power regulator and multiple 12 volt and
USB outputs, including all nautical and pilot charts for the north
Atlantic, GPS, WiFi and chart plotter. (LCD monitor functional for
watching TV/DVD's, but will need to be replaced since the VGA port has
a short).

Includes genoa and tracks, working jib, small jib and main. Running
and standing rigging in great condition.

Includes trailer--new lights, leaf springs, tires and bunk boards,
needs paint job. Trailer located just north of San Antonio--will bring
to Corpus when boat sells (if trailer is wanted).

Trailer and boat registered and titled.

Slip paid for through the end of December.

Willing to trade for travel trailer/camper or small fishing boat with
engine and trailer
--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm still looking for a Capri 22.
Looks like that's going to be a bit more expensive.

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/boa/4224947166.html
22 foot Sailboat - $500 (Gulfport ms)
image 1image 2image 3image 4image 5image 6image 7
500obo, great deal especially since it has sails and everything. I
have paperwork for it and it's been sitting in a boat slip for all
it's life. Needs a little love. Does not have trailer but it is in
bayou Bernard, call or text for more information or come take a look
at it. 228-669-2041 preferably text
--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm still looking for a Capri 22.
Looks like that's going to be a bit more expensive.

http://bham.craigslist.org/boa/4224622988.html

Sailboat - $900 (Chelsea)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
Sailboat, 23' Gulf Coast, with trailer

Fixer Upper (get ready over Winter for Sailing in the Spring)

205/910-3110

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm still looking for a Capri 22.
Looks like that's going to be a bit more expensive.

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/4226956341.html
Catalina Capri 25 sailboat - $4900 (Sarasota)
image 1image 2image 3image 4image 5image 6image 7image 8image 9
1984 Catalina Capri 25, serial 413. Fixed keel, 4ft draft
Recent Hood Seafurl-5 roller furling, forestay and life lines.
2003 Tohatsu 9.9hp outboard runs great.
Standard mainsail, 155 genoa, & spinnaker. All canvas in good
condition.
Spinnaker, pole, and lines rarely used. Additional whisker pole.
Bottom paint job 2 years old, maintained and cleaned by professional
diver.
Compass and depth gage. Nav and mast lights. Porta-potty.
Sailing regularly in Sarasota Bay.

Location: Sarasota
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other
commercial interests
--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
news
Tell us!!

There's not a lot to it; It's just a lousy way to live for six months at
a time.

On a Mark-1 boat, I slept in one of the forward racks, with my feet
toward the bow (tight up against the peak tank), and directly under the
pilot house.

The boats are 3/16" welded aluminum, so EVERY noise on the boat gets
transmitted to you in that position -- it's sort of a "focal point" for
noise. It's not the best place, physically, to rack out (hard to get in
and out of your rack), and if the boat is under way, you're lying head-
down while the boat is under power. There's really no room for a big guy
to sleep feet aft, because the forward racks are tapered narrower at the
bow end.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Something to think about, Gunner.
Adding "cabinetry" to a very light boat like the Venture is something I
would not do. And I LOVE making things for my boats.

I say that because it adds dead weight to the boat,
takes up interior space, and _can_ turn out to be
more in the way that useful.

Go slow and minimal for best results.

what..this may be a bit much?

http://macgregoryachts.com/search-details.cfm?y=94949

It seems they're using a slightly larger dinghy than you for their
basic boat, bubba. You'll never get a queen size bed, let alone that
kitchen setup, in a 24. giggle

(Grin)

Marine plywood may not be necessary.
I've used a lot of baltic birch with good results
BECAUSE I use the West System system.
Three coats of resin to completely seal the wood.

Baltic Birch is bitchen, boy.

Its also expensive as hell here in California. Almost double the
price of marine plywood.

IRCC..its $65 a 4x8 sheet of 12mm

I can get 1/2" Marine for $32

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 20:07:42 -0600, Richard
wrote:

[...]

Oddly enough..the guys here in California have been snagging the swing
keeled C22s because they are indeed..faster than even the Capris.
Fact. But its your cash..not mine.

Btw...the Santana 22 and the S2 6.9 are head and heels faster than the
Capri..and Ive posted both for under a grand. There is one in
Phoenix for $500 (Santana 22) on a trailer that would need very little
fixing.

The Santana and that S2 are both swing keels.
Just not at all interested.

Ah..no. They make swing keels..but fixed are the more common variety.

Want a family boat or a racer? The Capri 25 is much faster btw.

We race now and then. As a family.
Kinda blurs the distinction somewhat.

Yes sir! The Capri 25 can go fast all right. It can PLANE!
So its not limited to hull speed of a displacement style hull.

Cool!

But it's also 25 feet long.
It's LIGHTER than my Capri 26 (4500 versed 6000).
But that puts tow weight up near 6000 pounds.

Yes and?

Remember, I'm DOWN-sizing. And I have money.

I wasnt aware you were downsizing.

My desires are thus:

Trailerable, yes. 3500 to 4000 pounds tow weight.

But high performance to windward. Because any old tub can go downwind!
That means a proper keel under the boat.

Not quite true. Skinny swings are out..but many...many come close to
the surface area of a wing.

A wing keel is probably the way to go for this boat.

A deep fin would point best, but harder to float on the trailer.

So its said by some.

The local lake (that still has any water in it) is down 8 feet.
Makes launching and retrieving a real issue. (ramp length)
Right now, I'd use the crane at the club to launch.
It has a 6000 pound limit.

Cool!

Able to walk the mast up and down solo.
The Capri 22 is marginal there, but an A-frame system would solve that.
I could walk a 25 foot mast up without it (in my exuberant youth).

Im pondering a A frame after rigging the V24 the first time.

A decent cockpit! That's one of the best features of the Capri series.
Even the 18 had a huge, well arranged cockpit.

Many of them are all cockpit. I buy em to spend time on..not just an
afternoon.

A cabin, yes, but that's not the reason for having the boat.
It's not a "motor home on the water" - at least not for me.

A good suit of sails. You motor heads will get this easily once you
understand that the sails are what powers the boat. (Well DUH!).
And the PULL the boat, so they literally "fly".
Shape matters.

Very very much so!

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

IRCC..its $65 a 4x8 sheet of 12mm

Gunner, except for stuff that must support your weight, the rule in boats
and airplanes is about the same as in motor homes... Cabinets should have
light frames with THIN skins!

Most of what you build in there should be skinned with 5mm stuff. Cheaper,
too.

LLoyd

I'm not ready ......... Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 15 September 14th 11 12:26 AM
Get ready for this. (RHI) harry UK diy 0 May 20th 11 09:43 PM
Ready mixed Polly filler or ready mixed plaster ? Stephen[_11_] UK diy 9 January 15th 10 09:05 AM
Folding table for salt water boat Lou Donayre Woodworking 6 June 15th 05 06:12 AM
Ok, Ready! Here I go! John Moorhead Woodworking 3 March 7th 05 07:45 PM