Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My boat is ready to go in the water

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 20:07:42 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 12/3/2013 7:10 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I'm still looking for a Capri 22.
Looks like that's going to be a bit more expensive.

Capri 22s? Those are somewhat easy to find. That being said..they
started production in the mid 1980s and there arnt all that many out
there.

About 1500 built, I believe.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=166

I did mention the Yahoo group Freesailboats..right?
Sign up, and go through the ads at least once a week.

When reading the messages..you will notice I post about 2x a week with
up to 40 boats at a time.

whats your maximum price? How far are you willing to drive to pick
one up?

The "how far" part is more of a limit than the price.
And price, of course, depends on the product.
For instance:
This guy has $10,750 "invested" in his '89 Capri 22.
http://sailingtexas.com/201301/scapri22167.html
NADA says base price average retail $2700 to $3500. $7500 retail.
So he's going to keep it for a while.

But the newer ones (5 years old maybe?) are still bringing $15000 to $18000.

also keep your eyes peeled on Ebay.

Two things there.
1) I don't DO Ebay. You can't make me.
So that's kind of a moot point.

2) I'm not interested in a swing keel boat.
Not even a FREE one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Catalin...-/111227268674

(The Cat 22 swing keels are FAST!!)

OH Lord, give me patience.
Because if you give me strength, I just might use it wrong!

No, grasshopper, that's not "fast".
Not even from just a speed perspective.

And no bleeping way if you refer to the boat's "pointing" ability.

Pointing.
The ability of a Christian to sail INTO the wind - without guilt.

Oddly enough..the guys here in California have been snagging the swing
keeled C22s because they are indeed..faster than even the Capris.
Fact. But its your cash..not mine.

Btw...the Santana 22 and the S2 6.9 are head and heels faster than the
Capri..and Ive posted both for under a grand. There is one in
Phoenix for $500 (Santana 22) on a trailer that would need very little
fixing.

The Santana and that S2 are both swing keels.
Just not at all interested.

Ah..no. They make swing keels..but fixed are the more common variety.

Want a family boat or a racer? The Capri 25 is much faster btw.

We race now and then. As a family.
Kinda blurs the distinction somewhat.

Yes sir! The Capri 25 can go fast all right. It can PLANE!
So its not limited to hull speed of a displacement style hull.

Cool!

But it's also 25 feet long.
It's LIGHTER than my Capri 26 (4500 versed 6000).
But that puts tow weight up near 6000 pounds.

Yes and?

Remember, I'm DOWN-sizing. And I have money.

I wasnt aware you were downsizing.

My desires are thus:

Trailerable, yes. 3500 to 4000 pounds tow weight.

But high performance to windward. Because any old tub can go downwind!
That means a proper keel under the boat.

Not quite true. Skinny swings are out..but many...many come close to
the surface area of a wing.

A wing keel is probably the way to go for this boat.

A deep fin would point best, but harder to float on the trailer.

So its said by some.

The local lake (that still has any water in it) is down 8 feet.
Makes launching and retrieving a real issue. (ramp length)
Right now, I'd use the crane at the club to launch.
It has a 6000 pound limit.

Cool!

Able to walk the mast up and down solo.
The Capri 22 is marginal there, but an A-frame system would solve that.
I could walk a 25 foot mast up without it (in my exuberant youth).

Im pondering a A frame after rigging the V24 the first time.

A decent cockpit! That's one of the best features of the Capri series.
Even the 18 had a huge, well arranged cockpit.

Many of them are all cockpit. I buy em to spend time on..not just an
afternoon.

A cabin, yes, but that's not the reason for having the boat.
It's not a "motor home on the water" - at least not for me.

A good suit of sails. You motor heads will get this easily once you
understand that the sails are what powers the boat. (Well DUH!).
And the PULL the boat, so they literally "fly".
Shape matters.

Very very much so!

Probably go "loose footed" this time - because it makes a better set up
for reefing. The fabric doesn't get caught between reefing line and
boom, where it chafes away (rapidly).

Two reef points - or maybe just two main sails. Large and small, with
one reef point each.

Storm jib, 100% working jib, and an asymmetrical spinnaker. Don't need
a lot of overlap on the jib because we are not racing to a design rule.
Yeah, I know they look cool and everybody has a big jib, but the Asym is
better in light air and the working jib better the rest of the time.

Remember, sails are sized to move the boat to hull speed in light air.
The rest of the time they are overpowered.

I could go on, but you probably get my drift.
I know what I want.
We'll find one.
That's all it takes

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---