Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My boat is ready to go in the water

On 12/7/2013 6:51 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I would..would expect you to get a survey of some sort.

Gunner

On a boat like this, the only survey I would trust is my own.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

go to www.searchtempest.com

enter x number of miles you wish to search in..then enter Sailboat in
the box..and let it run.

Its quite simple.

Very entertaining.

It turned up this Capri 30.
That's the next size UP from my old boat, so not really a good
candidate for down sizing.
But what a boat!

Capri 30!
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/4216363072.html

Coast Guard documented; named Fast Forward

1984 Capri 30 Sailboat with BMW 7-hp Diesel inboard motor and Trail-Rite
trailer.

Sails:
155 Kevlar/Mylar racing cut jib (very little use), new 130 Kevlar/Mylar
racing cut jib (never unfolded), new 95 Kevlar/Mylar racing cut jib
(used twice), 95 Dacron heavy air jib (very good), several older racing
jibs that are fine for cruising, relatively new Dacron racing cut
mainsail, older Dacron racing cut mainsail that is fine for cruising, ¾
oz orange tri-radial spinnaker, red and blue reaching cut spinnaker,
older ¾ oz. purple, blue and aqua tri-radial spinnaker, ½ oz. red and
blue light air spinnaker, rainbow-colored cruising gennaker, main

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:48:59 AM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 21:37:13 -0600, Richard

wrote:

Sorry 'bout that... fumble finger syndrome strikes again.

What I was going to say, jon, was -

don't be so hard on him. As he has always said,

it's all just for entertainment...

Lots of people use the net to live vicariously,

and vent...

Afterall...jonboi has nothing else to do except sit on that falling

down sofa, drink beer and post on Usenet.

(Grin)

Gunner

--

"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don�t want to do that

but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

How many roommates does Wieber now have because you can't afford to pay his bills?

How soon before Wieber is living in his sailboat and renting out his bedroom?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 08:40:19 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 12/7/2013 6:51 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I would..would expect you to get a survey of some sort.

Gunner

On a boat like this, the only survey I would trust is my own.

So do you do your own medical diagnostics as well?

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 09:04:53 -0600, Richard
wrote:

[...]

Run that search 2x a week..generally Sunday or Monday night..and
Friday night.

I just got done posting 18 boats, all under $1000...some free
ones..one particularly nice one for $200.00

Folks are moving around a lot..and they are having to leave boats
behind....with this economy...there isnt a lot of money for boats of
this sort..so they are cheap(er)..many by an order of magnitude.
Also with our graying population..the owners are dying off leaving the
boats to the kids or widow..and they dont want/need them..so they
often are simply given away.

I thought I told you about Searchtempest last week?

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 08:38:15 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 12/7/2013 6:47 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:40:56 -0600,
wrote:

When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops.
Come out on the race course.

The fastest boat I've seem personally is a Melges 24 named
Rocket Science. I've seen her doing better than 20 knots
on a a reach.

I have been teaching for the local American Sailing Association
for a while now, gunner. And I got my first USCG ticket back in
1975.

So no, I'm not buying any of that "entertainment".

The Melges boats are always screamers..and they dont have "cabins" and
a head either' Ive raced M and X boats a number of times, boh as
skipper and opponent. My Thistle came close to kicking that ass of a
24 on a number of occasions..and did several times.

Teacher! Cool!

As for the USCG ticket..my first one was dated 1970. Then there was
the Power Squadron stuff from 1967-68

Comes from growing up on the Great Lakes..and having far too many
Coasties in the family.

Sigh..and now I live in the freaking desert...sigh

Build a Land Sailer?

Ive pondered it, seriously. The problem is the salt lakes are about
80 miles to the east..and while I can use them here ...one has to
watch out for barbed wire fences that are down, arroyos and so forth.

I keep looking at diagrams and prints..so Ill probably build one just
to try out the concept. They are simple enough and one can use a wind
surfer sail/mast to power them. Chrome molly tubing is easy to come
by...

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 12/7/2013 6:51 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I would..would expect you to get a survey of some sort.

Gunner

On a boat like this, the only survey I would trust is my own.

So do you do your own medical diagnostics as well?

Nope. I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 12/7/2013 6:51 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I would..would expect you to get a survey of some sort.

Gunner

On a boat like this, the only survey I would trust is my own.

So do you do your own medical diagnostics as well?

Nope. I'm not a doctor and don't play one on TV.

Just checking. So you are the Captain of the Loveboat then?

(Grin)

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Btw...have you used this yet? It might come in handy.

Odd how close in performance my pig of an Ensenada 20 is to the famed
Capri 22....

http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

VBG

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

OMG!! The Capri 22 weighs significantly MORE than my Venture 24
does..and is much slower!!

And you really want one??? Gasp!!

http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

What in Croms Name for?????

the Capri 22..is just another piggy E20 and is 2' longer!!

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Yeah, he called me back.
On my electric telephone.
Sounds like a nice guy and a mice boat.
1800 miles from home.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 01:41:03 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Yeah, he called me back.
On my electric telephone.
Sounds like a nice guy and a mice boat.
1800 miles from home.

So when are you going to get it?

Find a trailer yet?

If I can help, let me know.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Yeah, he called me back.
On my electric telephone.
Sounds like a nice guy and a mice boat.

What kind of mice?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:51:01 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Richard wrote:

On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Yeah, he called me back.
On my electric telephone.
Sounds like a nice guy and a mice boat.

What kind of mice?

Ratatouille.

--
I hate being bipolar ....... It's awesome!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard wrote:

On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Yeah, he called me back.
On my electric telephone.
Sounds like a nice guy and a mice boat.

What kind of mice?

Ratatouille.

Rats are on ships, not boats. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard wrote:

On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Yeah, he called me back.
On my electric telephone.
Sounds like a nice guy and a mice boat.

What kind of mice?

Ratatouille.

Rats are on ships, not boats. ;-)

Did you pronounce that "botes" or "bewts", Mikey?

--
I hate being bipolar ....... It's awesome!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Rats are on ships, not boats. ;-)

Did you pronounce that "botes" or "bewts", Mikey?

Yes.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 09 Dec 2013
16:51:01 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Richard wrote:

On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Yeah, he called me back.
On my electric telephone.
Sounds like a nice guy and a mice boat.

What kind of mice?

Sailing mice!

On a rat nice boat, too, ya hear?

--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Yeah, he called me back.
On my electric telephone.
Sounds like a nice guy and a mice boat.

What kind of mice?

Sailing mice!

How far can you sail them, before they hit the water?

On a rat nice boat, too, ya hear?

Till they chew through the guys.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy call you back yet?

You did call any number..rather than doing the email
thing...........right?

Yeah, he called me back.
On my electric telephone.
Sounds like a nice guy and a mice boat.

What kind of mice?

Sailing mice!

How far can you sail them, before they hit the water?

On a rat nice boat, too, ya hear?

Till they chew through the guys.

And **** on the sails and their urine eats through the printed
circuits in the radio...and just wait until they eat through the 2
little rubber transom drain plugs. Whoopie! Lotsa action then.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:47:17 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? "Michael A. Terrell" ? on Mon, 09 Dec 2013
?? 16:51:01 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?? ?
?? ?Richard wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? On 12/7/2013 5:52 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? ? Guy call you back yet?
?? ?? ?
[...]

What kind of Marine radio isn't in a sealed case?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 19:21:03 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:47:17 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? "Michael A. Terrell" ? on Mon, 09 Dec 2013
?? 16:51:01 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?? ?
?? ?Richard wrote:
?? ??
[...]

Sorry. Landlubber mistake. Won't happen again.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:47:17 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? "Michael A. Terrell" ? on Mon, 09 Dec 2013
?? 16:51:01 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?? ?
?? ?Richard wrote:
?? ??
[...]

There is sealed..and Sealed (tm)

Few will float, most are inside coated to some degree (but not like
Lincoln circuit boards) and most are "sealed" against room
air..er..cabin air humidity..but thats about all. Course..they dont
need much more than that either. They arent made for divers.

(Grin)

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:47:17 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? "Michael A. Terrell" ? on Mon, 09 Dec 2013
?? 16:51:01 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?? ?
?? ?Richard wrote:
?? ??
[...]

Unlike the PRC-77 that had their cases pressure tested with
compressed air while in several feet of water.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What kind of Marine radio isn't in a sealed case?

There is sealed..and Sealed (tm)

Few will float, most are inside coated to some degree (but not like
Lincoln circuit boards) and most are "sealed" against room
air..er..cabin air humidity..but thats about all. Course..they dont
need much more than that either. They arent made for divers.

Unlike the PRC-77 that had their cases pressure tested with
compressed air while in several feet of water.

The current "water proof" standards are something like 10 feet for 30
seconds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:47:17 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?pyotr filipivich wrote:
??
?? "Michael A. Terrell" ? on Mon, 09 Dec 2013
?? 16:51:01 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
?? ?
?? ?Richard wrote:
?? ??
[...]

True indeed.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

What kind of Marine radio isn't in a sealed case?

There is sealed..and Sealed (tm)

Few will float, most are inside coated to some degree (but not like
Lincoln circuit boards) and most are "sealed" against room
air..er..cabin air humidity..but thats about all. Course..they dont
need much more than that either. They arent made for divers.

Unlike the PRC-77 that had their cases pressure tested with
compressed air while in several feet of water.

The current "water proof" standards are something like 10 feet for 30
seconds.

You're not likely to make many calls, 10 feet under. The electrical
system could be put out of commission for a long time, as well.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 14:24:27 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Richard wrote:

What kind of Marine radio isn't in a sealed case?

There is sealed..and Sealed (tm)

Few will float, most are inside coated to some degree (but not like
Lincoln circuit boards) and most are "sealed" against room
air..er..cabin air humidity..but thats about all. Course..they dont
need much more than that either. They arent made for divers.

Unlike the PRC-77 that had their cases pressure tested with
compressed air while in several feet of water.

The current "water proof" standards are something like 10 feet for 30
seconds.

You're not likely to make many calls, 10 feet under. The electrical
system could be put out of commission for a long time, as well.

No, but if you're capsized in the surf and wash up on shore, you'd
certainly like to be able to phone home, as it were, would you not?

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard wrote:

What kind of Marine radio isn't in a sealed case?

There is sealed..and Sealed (tm)

Few will float, most are inside coated to some degree (but not like
Lincoln circuit boards) and most are "sealed" against room
air..er..cabin air humidity..but thats about all. Course..they dont
need much more than that either. They arent made for divers.

Unlike the PRC-77 that had their cases pressure tested with
compressed air while in several feet of water.

The current "water proof" standards are something like 10 feet for 30
seconds.

You're not likely to make many calls, 10 feet under. The electrical
system could be put out of commission for a long time, as well.

No, but if you're capsized in the surf and wash up on shore, you'd
certainly like to be able to phone home, as it were, would you not?

10 feet for 30 seconds won't help in that situation. The electrical
system will take a real beating, and you'll probably have sea water in
the engine's crankcase. The batteries will likely be damaged by the salt
water, as well.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard wrote:

[...]

I'd still opt for the waterproofing. That one last thread of chance
is worth gold when you need it, Mr. Pessimist.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard wrote:

[...]

There are a ****load of marine band "handi talkies" out there that
will put up to 5 watts. And are quite waterproof.

Its become quite the thing to own.

I bought (2) Apelco VHF marine radios on ebay a while back. Both are
25 watt bolt ons.

Gunner

--
"Owning a sailboat is like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don’t want to do that
but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

10 feet for 30 seconds won't help in that situation. The electrical
system will take a real beating, and you'll probably have sea water in
the engine's crankcase. The batteries will likely be damaged by the salt
water, as well.

I'd still opt for the waterproofing. That one last thread of chance
is worth gold when you need it, Mr. Pessimist.

Larry, I worked in manufacturing for radios. It's not as easy as you
think to waterproof a radio for any depth. It can cost more than the
actual radio. and is a mechanical nightmare. There is no guarantee that
the owner won't open the case to look inside, and destroy the case
seal. The military radios were designed to work in pouring rain. Like
Gunner said, Get some handhelds. Store them in a waterproof container
along wth extra, fully charged batteries.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard wrote:

[...]

Ladies and gentleman (and I use that term lightly) please give a big round of applause for world class moron, Larry Jackass. No clues now, no clues ever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

10 feet for 30 seconds won't help in that situation. The electrical
system will take a real beating, and you'll probably have sea water in
the engine's crankcase. The batteries will likely be damaged by the salt
water, as well.

I'd still opt for the waterproofing. That one last thread of chance
is worth gold when you need it, Mr. Pessimist.

Larry, I worked in manufacturing for radios. It's not as easy as you
think to waterproof a radio for any depth. It can cost more than the
actual radio. and is a mechanical nightmare. There is no guarantee that

I know. I worked QA for a military manpack radio mfgr in the '70s.
They sold to Paki forces way back. Man, you should have seen the
creepy crawlies that came out of the packing when a radio was
returned. I think they swept the floor and deposited that in the box
as packing. Just disgusting. I couldn't figure out how all those
spiders and walking stick things could get past the fumigators at
Customs.

the owner won't open the case to look inside, and destroy the case
seal. The military radios were designed to work in pouring rain. Like
Gunner said, Get some handhelds. Store them in a waterproof container
along wth extra, fully charged batteries.

Bbbbut, I don't even have a BOAT, guys! I see how handhelds would
work better and safer in submersion scenarios, though.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:02:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 01:17:13 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
?? ?
[...]

You're depending on a head full of helium to keep your head above
water? ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 13:03:28 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:02:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Larry Jaques wrote:
??
?? On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 01:17:13 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
?? ? wrote:
?? ?
[...]

I'd reply, but my voice sounds funny right about now...

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 10:02:07 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

? wrote:

?

?Larry Jaques wrote:

??

?? On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 01:17:13 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

?? ? wrote:

?? ?

[...]

Try taking Mark Wieber's dick out of your mouth before you speak.

Hope this helped.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I'd reply, but my voice sounds funny right about now...

So, you've finally noticed? ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

I'm not ready ......... Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 15 September 14th 11 12:26 AM
Get ready for this. (RHI) harry UK diy 0 May 20th 11 09:43 PM
Ready mixed Polly filler or ready mixed plaster ? Stephen[_11_] UK diy 9 January 15th 10 09:05 AM
Folding table for salt water boat Lou Donayre Woodworking 6 June 15th 05 06:12 AM
Ok, Ready! Here I go! John Moorhead Woodworking 3 March 7th 05 07:45 PM