Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rebuilding a Mass Air Flow Sensor

This has absolutely nothing to do with RCM, but you fellers are the highly intelly gent, worldly types (not unlike my self... hyuk hyuk) only smarter.

Anyway, I need to either figure out how to rebuild the air flow sensor assy on an old Eclipse or shell out $400+ for a rebuilt one or donate it for next to nothing off my taxes.

Anyone have any tips on rebuilding one of these or know anyone who can do it? I got no responses from the car groups, and thought maybe one of the electronics RCM gurus here might point me in the right direction with this.

It goes on a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse (same as Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser). This one's DOHC non-turbo.

Here's the sensor:
http://tinyurl.com/MassAirFlowSensor-90-Eclipse

New part is $650, used is $450. None at the local junk yards around here.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guv Bob wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with RCM, but you fellers are the highly intelly gent, worldly types (not unlike my self... hyuk hyuk) only smarter.

Anyway, I need to either figure out how to rebuild the air flow sensor assy on an old Eclipse or shell out $400+ for a rebuilt one or donate it for next to nothing off my taxes.

Anyone have any tips on rebuilding one of these or know anyone who can do it? I got no responses from the car groups, and thought maybe one of the electronics RCM gurus here might point me in the right direction with this.

It goes on a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse (same as Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser). This one's DOHC non-turbo.

Here's the sensor:
http://tinyurl.com/MassAirFlowSensor-90-Eclipse

New part is $650, used is $450. None at the local junk yards around here.

From my Favorite Auto Parts Place, rockauto.com:

A-1 CARDONE Part # 7460000 Remanufactured
Price Core Total
$188.79 $18.00 $206.79

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # MF0426 Remanufactured
Price Core Total
$207.79 $40.00 $247.79

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1570192 Remanufactured
Price Core Total
$308.99 $25.20 $334.19

BOSCH Part # 63030 Air Flow Meter - New
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
Price Core Total
$522.89 $0.00 $522.89

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S2647 - New
EXC. TURBO
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
Price Core Total
$640.79 $0.00 $640.79

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guv Bob wrote:

Anyway, I need to either figure out how to rebuild the air flow sensor
assy on an old Eclipse or shell out $400+ for a rebuilt one or donate it
for next to nothing off my taxes.

Well, the pic shows screws on it, so it looks like it can be taken apart.
What type of mechanism does it use? Old ones used swinging vanes and
a potentiometer, most new ones use a venturi and a differential pressure
transducer. Possibly dirt or bugs have blocked passages in it, that could
be easy to fix.

What is the symptom?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

Not easy to rebuild them without having access to the parts that fail.
As Winston said you can get a reman MUCH cheaper or if you could live
without it for a week or so there are a couple outfits that do rebuilds
on your part and ship it back.

What is the problem you're seeing that tells you the current unit is bad?

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

Thanks fellers. I just started looking at it so not much info yet. Don't know if it is hot wire type or not. Symptom is from my long-time mechanic -- says it could be MAF or could be computer - can't tell which. When hot or cold, car runs way too rich and will stall out if throttle is released.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

Steve, the car is OK to sit for awhile. Where would I find a place to rebuild it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a bunch of photos of the assy out of the car:
http://imageshack.us/g/513/gedc0177.jpg/

Looks like I need un-solder the connections on each side before I can open it and access the sensor.

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Guv Bob" wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

First, I'm not familiar with the 90 Eclipse... and this is just my 0.02¢
hunch with the limited info available in this thread.

Having said that... did your mechanic pull a computer code referring to
MAF issues or have any other evidence of it's failure? (The car may be
too old to produce Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's)... I just don't know
off the top of my head. Do you have the factory shop manual???

Running rich like that could just be a bad coolant temperature sensor or
it's associated circuitry. Often times when they fail, or if their
circuit becomes 'open', they erroneously report temperatures of like
-40°F[1] to the computer; which in turn will run the engine very rich...
just like it's supposed to do. Terminal corrosion is one common cause of
open circuits.

Coolant temp sensors are chump change in comparison to MAF's.

IMHO I think you really should do a little more
investigating/troubleshooting first.

Good luck! Let us know how it comes out.

Erik

[1] Just out of passing interest, note that -40°F equals -40°C! Check it
out!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Erik" wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Guv Bob" wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Erik. No error codes on the connector.

Something else -- the car ran fine a couple of months ago and passed the annual smog test with no tune up or adjustments. Then it sat for about 2 months without being started. Recharged the battery and that's when the rough idle started. Reset the computer and no change.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 20:29:22 -0800, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

[...]

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...272440-8927589
$200 new (less with exchange)

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto...ow-sensor.html

2 year warranty
Price :
$160.31
Core Price :
$32.00

Google "air flow sensor 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse"

Then check the ads for the wrecking yards..

There are quite a number of them out there..they fit a number of
vehicles up to 95

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-91-92-93-...-/220890890786

buy it now of $55.00

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...
This has absolutely nothing to do with RCM, but you fellers are the highly
intelly gent, worldly types (not unlike my self... hyuk hyuk) only smarter.

Anyway, I need to either figure out how to rebuild the air flow sensor assy
on an old Eclipse or shell out $400+ for a rebuilt one or donate it for next
to nothing off my taxes.

Anyone have any tips on rebuilding one of these or know anyone who can do
it? I got no responses from the car groups, and thought maybe one of the
electronics RCM gurus here might point me in the right direction with this.

Bob

This worked for me:
http://www.autobarn.net/maairflsecl1.html

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guv Bob wrote:

Steve, the car is OK to sit for awhile. Where would I find a place to rebuild it?

Guv, you pay a core charge and send your old sensor back
when the new unit arrives.
They refund the charge afterword. Nearly zero downtime.

From my Favorite Auto Parts Place, rockauto.com:

A-1 CARDONE Part # 7460000 Remanufactured
Price Core Total
$188.79 $18.00 $206.79

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # MF0426 Remanufactured
Price Core Total
$207.79 $40.00 $247.79

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1570192 Remanufactured
Price Core Total
$308.99 $25.20 $334.19

BOSCH Part # 63030 Air Flow Meter - New
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
Price Core Total
$522.89 $0.00 $522.89

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S2647 - New
EXC. TURBO
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
Price Core Total
$640.79 $0.00 $640.79

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 1, 9:29*pm, "Guv Bob"
This has absolutely nothing to do with RCM, but you fellers are the highly intelly gent, worldly types (not unlike my self... hyuk hyuk) only smarter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Guv Bob" fired this volley in
m:

nyway, I need to either figure out how to rebuild the air flow sensor
assy

Bob, the likelihood that you'd find the _exact_ thermistors or resistance
wire they use for the flow sensor is remote.

FWIW, sometimes they fail for accumulated grunge on the sensing elements.
If your unit has resistance wires, be warned that you cannot touch them
mechanically in any way, or you'll stretch or break them. If the unit
uses thermistors (little epoxy bead-like things in the airflow), you can
clean them gently with a soft brush.

But in either case, a good soaking in a mild solvent like denatured
alcohol, followed by a rinse and thorough drying is about all you can do.

They truly don't fail very often. Most often, it's a false code because
of other un-interpretable symptoms, bad connectors, or a bad harness.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They truly don't fail very often. Most often, it's a false code because
of other un-interpretable symptoms, bad connectors, or a bad harness.

LLoyd

Mine had two problems, accumulated crud on the platinum wires and poor
connection caused by unplugging it too many times to check the air filter
for rodent damage. The connector isolated itself to an intermittent Check
Engine light that cleared after pressing in only that one connector. The
crud wasn't so obvious to the diagnostics but the engine ran smoother after
cleaning it.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I BELIEVE that is a Karman Vortex type air-flow meter - Rebuilding
would be an EXTREMELY difficult project.

Bite the bullet for a good used one (if such an animal exists) or go
for a new one. Other option is sell it to someone for the good parts
that are left.

Cost of parts, and frequency of required replacement, is why
Mitsubishi has to have that fantastic warranty to sell their cars -
and why when out of warranty they are virtually worthless.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guv Bob wrote:
"Erik" wrote in message
In article , "Guv
Bob" wrote:

"Steve W." wrote in message
Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

I would check REALLY close for mouse damage to the wiring, and
rust/corrosion on the connections.
Just setting still shouldn't damage the MAF unless a mouse was using it
for a home.
I would also run a good injector cleaner through it. Setting that long
can make gas into really bad crap. Could be that some of that is holding
injectors open enough to cause the problem as well.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Guv Bob wrote:
"Steve W." wrote in message ...
Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

Standard offers R&R through a couple places. Rock Auto being one of
them. Think it's like 150 bucks or so.

BUT I would test it first to make SURE that it has a problem.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Could be a Karman Vortex type at that... interesting articles he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1..._vortex_street

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_airflow_sensor

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Idling Too Rich -- (Was: Rebuilding a Mass Air Flow Sensor)

"Guv Bob" wrote in message m...
[...]

Last time you remember....... well, I swapped my MAS into another Eclipse and saw that it was OK, so that's good and bad. Now back to square one.

After a lot of tinkering, it starts and runs fine at road speed. Dies at idle and is idling rich. First thought was to manually adjust the idle mixture. Wrong. Can't do it on this car -- everything comes from the computer.

So I'm going to take another swing at it this weekend. Any suggestions from the wise folks here what to look at next?

Many thanks in advance.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/10/2012 11:50 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Guv wrote in message m...
Last time you remember....... well, I swapped my MAS into another Eclipse and saw that it was OK, so that's good and bad. Now back to square one.

After a lot of tinkering, it starts and runs fine at road speed. Dies at idle and is idling rich. First thought was to manually adjust the idle mixture. Wrong. Can't do it on this car -- everything comes from the computer.

So I'm going to take another swing at it this weekend. Any suggestions from the wise folks here what to look at next?

Many thanks in advance.

Bob

Hrmm.. If you have a known good eclipse, can you swap the brains out?

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/10/2012 9:50 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Guv wrote in message m...
[...]

does it have an iac valve? i had one go out on my vette that caused the
same symptoms.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Guv Bob" wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Some (but not all) of that older stuff could display 'codes' in a
fashion. First you need your factory shop manual, then either by
shorting connector cavities, or possibly a switch on the computer, you'd
count blinks of either the 'check engine light', or an LED on the
computer proper. You'd then look up your blink code number/s in the
manual.

I still have a hunch that you may have a bad coolant temp sensor.
Usually when they go bad, they tell the computer that the engine is
really cold. The computer, dumb and dutiful as it is, believes this, and
based on the sensor data runs the engine very richŠ mimicking some or
all of the duties of the choke on older cars. The sensor check procedure
is quick, simple, and detailed in your factory shop manual.

Other trees to bark up are a possibly stuck on or leaking cold start
valve, and/or it's timer/control circuit. If so equipped, these were
just an injector spraying into the intake manifold (another choke like
enrichment device from days past). Some had various timer
circuits/devices to turn the cold start valve on when/if necessary, and
off again soon as it was not... but if they failed could leave the valve
on. These cold start valves systems were problematic with some models.
Complete info is, you guessed it, right there in your factory shop
manual.

Your manual should also have extensive troubleshooting charts and
related info.

Let us know how it comes out!

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Erik wrote:

In article ,
"Guv Bob" wrote:

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...
[...]

More... got me thinking, and on a whim looked up this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermotime_switch

Erik