Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Default Looking for Water Flow Sensor for PVC pipe

I'm looking to see if there is flow in the line of a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" PVC
pipe. I'd like to check to be sure that if a pump is running that there is
Flow in the pipe. So the flow will be more than just a simple faucet on.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:
I'm looking to see if there is flow in the line of a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" PVC
pipe. I'd like to check to be sure that if a pump is running that there is
Flow in the pipe. So the flow will be more than just a simple faucet on.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott-

Delete cross-post to you know who...

You might insert a TEE in the line with a stub sticking up.
Implant 2 stainless wires in the stub and use an electronic circuit
to detect water between the 2 probes.

If the pressure won't be high enough to rise above the
pipe, just insert the probes into the horizontal run.

Plain water has enough conductivity to trip a
reasonably sensitive circuit without getting complicated.

A float switch might work too, depending on the flow/pressure
available.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Clear PVC check valves????:
http://www.clearpvcpipe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=35

You could get an old fire alarm bell that is water driven, but the
sound will be deafening. You could create an audible or light
generating indicator with a flow monitor like this:
http://www.thewateralarm.com/

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Scott Townsend" wrote in
message t...
I'm looking to see if there is flow in the line of a 1 1/4" and
1 1/2" PVC pipe. I'd like to check to be sure that if a pump is
running that there is Flow in the pipe. So the flow will be more
than just a simple faucet on.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Cool, Clear PVC. Kinda like that.. (-;

Though I'm looking for something that will close a contact or give me a
4-20ma signal with the flow.

I have all the other stuff to monitor and alert me if there are issues.

Thank you,
Scott-
"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Thanks for the Link. Though for my home project I think its a bit much.
Having the Flow rate would be super if it was under $100, I need at least 3
of them.

Seems like there are many out there that give you the actual GPM, though I
just need a is there or is there not flow. Just a simple contact.

Thanks,
Scott-
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
http://www.flowmeters.com/products/i...FSYqIgodU1kByg

--
Steve Barker

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
t...
I'm looking to see if there is flow in the line of a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2"
PVC pipe. I'd like to check to be sure that if a pump is running that
there is Flow in the pipe. So the flow will be more than just a simple
faucet on.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
t...
I'm looking to see if there is flow in the line of a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" PVC
pipe. I'd like to check to be sure that if a pump is running that there

is
Flow in the pipe. So the flow will be more than just a simple faucet on.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott-

There are plenty of companies that make flow switches, but I'm not sure you
can find something in a consumer price range. Try a local plumbing supply
or two to get an idea what's available and how much they cost.

A quick search on google for "Cheap liquid flow switch" came up with this:
http://www.koboldusa.com/flow/s3-pps.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

www.wwgrainger.com has some as low as ~$45 but not for 1"+ pipe. I
wonder whether you could splice a small diameter bypass into your large
pipe and put the (inexpensive) switch on the bypass. If flow was
sufficiently robust, there might be enough water moving in the small
pipe to trip the switch.

|===Switch==| small pipe
--|-----------|------------
--------------------------- Big pipe

Scott Townsend wrote:
I'm looking to see if there is flow in the line of a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" PVC
pipe. I'd like to check to be sure that if a pump is running that there is
Flow in the pipe. So the flow will be more than just a simple faucet on.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
t...
I'm looking to see if there is flow in the line of a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" PVC
pipe. I'd like to check to be sure that if a pump is running that there

is
Flow in the pipe. So the flow will be more than just a simple faucet on.

Any Recommendations?

http://www.mcdonnellmiller.com/pdf/i...tr/MM-601C.pdf

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
t...
I'm looking to see if there is flow in the line of a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" PVC
pipe. I'd like to check to be sure that if a pump is running that there
is Flow in the pipe. So the flow will be more than just a simple faucet
on.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott-

You might look he

http://www.thomasprod.com/product2.htm

specifically the 1800 or 2600 series. Click on the model numbers to see
their prices. The 1800 series runs from about $40-50.

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in messagenews:i8ednVDoDb_TAnfYnZ2dnUVZ_tSunZ2d@comca st.com...

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
et...
I'm looking to see if there is flow in the line of a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2"
PVC pipe. *I'd like to check to be sure that if a pump is running that
there is Flow in the pipe. So the flow will be more than just a simple
faucet on.

Any Recommendations?

Thanks,
Scott-

You might look he

http://www.thomasprod.com/product2.htm

specifically the 1800 or 2600 series. * Click on the model numbers to see
their prices. * The 1800 series runs from about $40-50.- Hide quoted text -

CLEAR PVC is available. If the line is accesible you can just look and
see the water flowing!

I used some 3 inch to build kids games, where ping pong balls float in
water in the tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

Clear is Great though I'm looking for a Switch that I can hook up to the
Pump Controller. I want to be sure that if I turn the Pump on, that there is
flow. If not turn the Pump off and then have it send a message to my phone
that there is an issue with the Pump.

Thanks,
Scott-
ps.com...
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

wrote in message
CLEAR PVC is available. If the line is accesible you can just look and
see the water flowing!

Where would one get clear PVC?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair,pdaxs.services.plumbing

There are plenty of sources, here is an easy one:

http://www.clearpvcpipe.com/

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Bob F" wrote in message