View Single Post
  #23   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default Idling Too Rich -- (Was: Rebuilding a Mass Air Flow Sensor)

On 2/10/2012 9:50 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Guv wrote in message m...
This has absolutely nothing to do with RCM, but you fellers are the highly intelly gent, worldly types (not unlike my self... hyuk hyuk) only smarter.

Anyway, I need to either figure out how to rebuild the air flow sensor assy on an old Eclipse or shell out $400+ for a rebuilt one or donate it for next to nothing off my taxes.

Anyone have any tips on rebuilding one of these or know anyone who can do it? I got no responses from the car groups, and thought maybe one of the electronics RCM gurus here might point me in the right direction with this.

It goes on a 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse (same as Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser). This one's DOHC non-turbo.

Here's the sensor:
http://tinyurl.com/MassAirFlowSensor-90-Eclipse

New part is $650, used is $450. None at the local junk yards around here.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Last time you remember....... well, I swapped my MAS into another Eclipse and saw that it was OK, so that's good and bad. Now back to square one.

After a lot of tinkering, it starts and runs fine at road speed. Dies at idle and is idling rich. First thought was to manually adjust the idle mixture. Wrong. Can't do it on this car -- everything comes from the computer.

So I'm going to take another swing at it this weekend. Any suggestions from the wise folks here what to look at next?

Many thanks in advance.

Bob

does it have an iac valve? i had one go out on my vette that caused the
same symptoms.