Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What would be a good commercial floor vacuum with power brush

I was vacuuming my floor at home today, using a power-brush type of
upright vacuum. I remarked to myself that it works very well.

In my warehouse, I would like the same thing, except I would prefer
something bigger, with rougher brushes, and something that would not
need bags. A shop-vac is nice, but lacks a scrubbing option.

I am sure that such things exist, can someone recommend something?

thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus23036 fired this volley in
:

.. A shop-vac is nice, but lacks a scrubbing option.

I am sure that such things exist, can someone recommend something?

thanks

Ig, I don't know how large you need it to be, but I'll bet Tom Gardner can
sell you a brush that suits to fit an old upright Eureka or Hoover.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

fired this volley in
:

. A shop-vac is nice, but lacks a scrubbing option.

I am sure that such things exist, can someone recommend something?

thanks

Ig, I don't know how large you need it to be, but I'll bet Tom Gardner can
sell you a brush that suits to fit an old upright Eureka or Hoover.

LLoyd

We used to make brushes for Kirby but China got all that business, now
we do some stuff for Tennant.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/16/2011 8:49 PM, Ignoramus23036 wrote:
I was vacuuming my floor at home today, using a power-brush type of
upright vacuum. I remarked to myself that it works very well.

In my warehouse, I would like the same thing, except I would prefer
something bigger, with rougher brushes, and something that would not
need bags. A shop-vac is nice, but lacks a scrubbing option.

I am sure that such things exist, can someone recommend something?

thanks

See if you can get your hands on a small used Tennant.
http://www.tennantco.com/am-en/Pages/default.aspx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 21:21:56 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 10/16/2011 8:49 PM, Ignoramus23036 wrote:
I was vacuuming my floor at home today, using a power-brush type of
upright vacuum. I remarked to myself that it works very well.

In my warehouse, I would like the same thing, except I would prefer
something bigger, with rougher brushes, and something that would not
need bags. A shop-vac is nice, but lacks a scrubbing option.

I am sure that such things exist, can someone recommend something?

thanks

See if you can get your hands on a small used Tennant.
http://www.tennantco.com/am-en/Pages/default.aspx

"The Kid" works for Tennant. We bought a broken 24 volt floor scrubber
at auction for $200. He got parts at cost and made it like brand new
for another $200. The unit sells for $5600. We use it to scrub 2500
sq.ft. of the packing shed twice a week. Only takes a few minutes and
the concrete is clean enough to eat off of.

We had an oil spill, threw on floor dry, swept it up 15 minutes later,
then run the scrubber over it. No sign of spill.

Iggy, I KNOW you can find a used Tennant cheap. Now all you need to do
is bribe the kid with something you have and you're all set.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-17, Karl Townsend wrote:
"The Kid" works for Tennant. We bought a broken 24 volt floor scrubber
at auction for $200. He got parts at cost and made it like brand new
for another $200. The unit sells for $5600. We use it to scrub 2500
sq.ft. of the packing shed twice a week. Only takes a few minutes and
the concrete is clean enough to eat off of.

We had an oil spill, threw on floor dry, swept it up 15 minutes later,
then run the scrubber over it. No sign of spill.

Iggy, I KNOW you can find a used Tennant cheap. Now all you need to do
is bribe the kid with something you have and you're all set.

I bought a diesel powered Tenant for $120 once. It was described as
nonfunctional.

I took out the Kubota diesel and sold it for $600, and scrapped the
rest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/16/2011 5:49 PM, Ignoramus23036 wrote:
I was vacuuming my floor at home today, using a power-brush type of
upright vacuum. I remarked to myself that it works very well.

In my warehouse, I would like the same thing, except I would prefer
something bigger, with rougher brushes, and something that would not
need bags. A shop-vac is nice, but lacks a scrubbing option.

I am sure that such things exist, can someone recommend something?

thanks

Coincidentally, I have been looking for a new vacuum cleaner myself. So
I've been checking into them. From what I've seen most of them are now
all made of plastic and I don't like that. They seem to be cheaply made
junk, even the 500 dollar Dysons.

I did run across a company that makes commercial vacuums and they look
pretty good. I may be getting one of them myself. The name of the
company is called Sanitaire and they are owned by Electrolux, I believe.
Anyway, I was looking at them and they look like they make quality
machines. I'd take a look at them.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 21:21:56 -0400, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:

On 10/16/2011 8:49 PM, Ignoramus23036 wrote:
I was vacuuming my floor at home today, using a power-brush type of
upright vacuum. I remarked to myself that it works very well.

In my warehouse, I would like the same thing, except I would prefer
something bigger, with rougher brushes, and something that would not
need bags. A shop-vac is nice, but lacks a scrubbing option.

I am sure that such things exist, can someone recommend something?

thanks

See if you can get your hands on a small used Tennant.
http://www.tennantco.com/am-en/Pages/default.aspx

Bingo, you beat me to it. They have several sizes between walk-behind
and ride-on versions, and they have a fresh water tank to spread wash
water - with soap if you want it - a few scrub brushes to knock off
the worst of the gunk, and a wet-vac that slurps it all up and dumps
it in a waste-water tank.

Ride it around the building once with soap in it, then dump at a
convenient floor sink or sewer cleanout hole. Then go around a second
time with no soap, Squeeky Clean Floors.

Then get out the big Rotary Buffer and fill a garden sprayer with
industrial floor finish (specially formulated for shoe traction),
spray it on and buff it out, and you'll have shop floors so nice your
Momma will be proud.

Johnson Wax makes several varieties for all surfaces, including raw
concrete. And you get certified paperwork for the insurance company
about it's anti-slip properties. Referrals are available, I know one
of their Field Reps...

(This would be good for Tawm with all the Hourlies trolling around for
a good Workers Comp slip-and-fall claim - would probably pay him back
for the effort to get and keep the office & factory floors all buffed
up with lower insurance rates.)

Of course, it's going to work a whole lot better if you get the shop
floor all cleared out and have it professionally ground flat first -
any Terazzo and Stone company will have the big floor grinders and
buffers with a diamond cutters, levels it out real nice. (And all the
patched spots become much less obvious.)

BevMo does this to all their warehouse stores, and it looks good. Get
it ground flat and smooth, then keep it waxed.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 20:36:22 -0700, Hawke
wrote:

[...]

Got me a nearly new, 5 gallon shop vac for $5 a couple months back; a
"TECO Master", it came it it's original box with the shipping label
from T. Eaton Co. Toronto to the former address of the chap I bought
it from. When I took it apart to change the filter, I noticed the date
stamp '12 Aug 1971'. I also noted that it uses a ball bearing motor.
Included in the box were the hose, 2 wands, crevice tool, adapter for
1 1/4" hose, a new pack of 5 paper filters and the original
instruction sheet. The only reason the chap was selling it was that he
wanted a vacuum that he could use to pick up water. In over thirty
years I have needed to pick up water three times!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Got me a nearly new, 5 gallon shop vac for $5 a couple months back; a
"TECO Master", it came it it's original box with the shipping label
from T. Eaton Co. Toronto to the former address of the chap I bought
it from. When I took it apart to change the filter, I noticed the date
stamp '12 Aug 1971'. I also noted that it uses a ball bearing motor.
Included in the box were the hose, 2 wands, crevice tool, adapter for
1 1/4" hose, a new pack of 5 paper filters and the original
instruction sheet. The only reason the chap was selling it was that he
wanted a vacuum that he could use to pick up water. In over thirty
years I have needed to pick up water three times!

So, an old fart like you can still hold his water? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Gerald Miller wrote:

Got me a nearly new, 5 gallon shop vac for $5 a couple months back; a
"TECO Master", it came it it's original box with the shipping label
from T. Eaton Co. Toronto to the former address of the chap I bought
it from. When I took it apart to change the filter, I noticed the date
stamp '12 Aug 1971'. I also noted that it uses a ball bearing motor.
Included in the box were the hose, 2 wands, crevice tool, adapter for
1 1/4" hose, a new pack of 5 paper filters and the original
instruction sheet. The only reason the chap was selling it was that he
wanted a vacuum that he could use to pick up water. In over thirty
years I have needed to pick up water three times!

So, an old fart like you can still hold his water? ;-)

Stop it! Every time I laugh I **** my pants!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Hawke" wrote in message
[...]

Go down to the Salvation Army/Amvets. Buy yourself a vintage Electrolux
canister vac.
You might have to go back a few times to get all the attachments, but I've
never paid more than $20 for a complete setup.

They were made at a time when you expected to spend over 2 weeks pay to get
a vacuum cleaner that would last a lifetime. The only plastic parts are the
wheels and the handles, and a 50yr old one has a more life left in it than
any new vacuum.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

So, an old fart like you can still hold his water? ;-)

Stop it! Every time I laugh I **** my pants!

Then stop laughing, or buy some Depends. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
[...]

I'm in testing for a wire cutting gig for them now for some big cylinder
brushes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 21:03:29 -0500, Ignoramus23036

On 2011-10-17, Karl Townsend wrote:
"The Kid" works for Tennant. We bought a broken 24 volt floor scrubber
at auction for $200. He got parts at cost and made it like brand new
for another $200. The unit sells for $5600. We use it to scrub 2500
sq.ft. of the packing shed twice a week. Only takes a few minutes and
the concrete is clean enough to eat off of.

We had an oil spill, threw on floor dry, swept it up 15 minutes later,
then run the scrubber over it. No sign of spill.

Iggy, I KNOW you can find a used Tennant cheap. Now all you need to do
is bribe the kid with something you have and you're all set.

I bought a diesel powered Tenant for $120 once. It was described as
nonfunctional.

I took out the Kubota diesel and sold it for $600, and scrapped the
rest.

Oh yeah, I remember that...

And I also remember we were all yelling at you to get it working, and
then you could have sold it for a whole lot more than $600 and had
nothing left to scrap out.

Reuse, reclaim, repurpose, reimagine if you have to - But Recycle!!

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:56:46 -0500, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

[...]

Ive been looking for them for at least 10 yrs and still havent found
one. Ive found kits of electrolux attachments..but Never a canister
vac.

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:03:13 -0400, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"The Kid" took an engineering sample home a short while back. It was
four feet long about ten inch I.D. with six inch bristles. Yours??

He's going to make a sidewalk sweeper for snow and sand with it.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-10-17, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

First, I could not take it out of my trailer.

Second, such things always become painful, drawn out ordeals.

Now that I have 10k square feet of space, I may consider something
like that, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:50:31 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:03:13 -0400, "Tom Gardner" wrote:

I'm in testing for a wire cutting gig for them now for some big cylinder
brushes.

"The Kid" took an engineering sample home a short while back. It was
four feet long about ten inch I.D. with six inch bristles. Yours??

He's going to make a sidewalk sweeper for snow and sand with it.

Autonomous robotic style, I hope?

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It helps to live where people could afford them in the first place.
I see about one a month.
I have one on each floor and one in the back of my truck to clean up at
jobsites.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 06:00:28 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Got me a nearly new, 5 gallon shop vac for $5 a couple months back; a
"TECO Master", it came it it's original box with the shipping label
from T. Eaton Co. Toronto to the former address of the chap I bought
it from. When I took it apart to change the filter, I noticed the date
stamp '12 Aug 1971'. I also noted that it uses a ball bearing motor.
Included in the box were the hose, 2 wands, crevice tool, adapter for
1 1/4" hose, a new pack of 5 paper filters and the original
instruction sheet. The only reason the chap was selling it was that he
wanted a vacuum that he could use to pick up water. In over thirty
years I have needed to pick up water three times!

So, an old fart like you can still hold his water? ;-)

As long as the heater core in my car doesn't disintegrate again! I do
however, still have a couple wet vacs. The one I just got is
designated to the laundry room where it cleans the clothes dryer lint
trap and cleans up after hair cuts to second son and puppy.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I live and work 5 days a week in Southern California...Orange
County..one of the richest areas in the US.

They dont seem to be very popular around here.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

As long as the heater core in my car doesn't disintegrate again! I do
however, still have a couple wet vacs. The one I just got is
designated to the laundry room where it cleans the clothes dryer lint
trap and cleans up after hair cuts to second son and puppy.

Do the wear the same hairstyle? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/17/2011 6:50 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:03:13 -0400, "Tom wrote:

"Karl wrote in message
[...]

Nope, I don't make those. It was made by "The Malish Corp." here in
Cleveland...Willoughby, actually. Nice people, good friends and we cut
wire for them too. Wire cutting is a good deal for us.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 03:35:32 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 23:41:57 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Gerald Miller wrote:
??
?? As long as the heater core in my car doesn't disintegrate again! I do
?? however, still have a couple wet vacs. The one I just got is
?? designated to the laundry room where it cleans the clothes dryer lint
?? trap and cleans up after hair cuts to second son and puppy.
?
?
? Do the wear the same hairstyle? ;-)

Pretty much, Puppy gets the 1/2" guide while Second Son gets the 1/4".
He used to have a pony tail until he went under his truck on my new
creeper one day. This way when one of the presses at work blows a
line, it is much easier to clean up.

I've always heard that people start to look like their pets after a
while. ;-)

BTW, I use the 3/4" guide for my own facial hair and have been known
to persuade S S to go with the 1" on his winter growth.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've always heard that people start to look like their pets after a
while. ;-)

BTW, I use the 3/4" guide for my own facial hair and have been known
to persuade S S to go with the 1" on his winter growth.

I gave up on shaving on a regular basis a few years ago. Maybe once
every other month, since it grows so slow these days. I had to shave
three times a day while in basic, to keep a despicable little drill
sergeant off my ass. That runt's face was as smooth as a baby's ass,
and he probably never had a hair grow on his face.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 22:21:47 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've always heard that people start to look like their pets after a
while. ;-)

BTW, I use the 3/4" guide for my own facial hair and have been known
to persuade S S to go with the 1" on his winter growth.

I gave up on shaving on a regular basis a few years ago. Maybe once
every other month, since it grows so slow these days. I had to shave
three times a day while in basic, to keep a despicable little drill
sergeant off my ass. That runt's face was as smooth as a baby's ass,
and he probably never had a hair grow on his face.

My beard is not heavy, but I haven't seen my chin for thirty years. I
do, however, shave my neck and lips three times a week.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

My beard is not heavy, but I haven't seen my chin for thirty years. I
do, however, shave my neck and lips three times a week.

At least you don't have to shave your teeth, like some unwashed
characters I've seen. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 18 Oct 2011
22:21:47 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've always heard that people start to look like their pets after a
while. ;-)

BTW, I use the 3/4" guide for my own facial hair and have been known
to persuade S S to go with the 1" on his winter growth.

I gave up on shaving on a regular basis a few years ago. Maybe once
every other month, since it grows so slow these days. I had to shave
three times a day while in basic, to keep a despicable little drill
sergeant off my ass. That runt's face was as smooth as a baby's ass,
and he probably never had a hair grow on his face.

I'm not growing a beard, I just didn't shave. Okay, since
February. But I knew a guy like you, Bobby could come out of the
bathroom with five o'clock shadow. And if Jack didn't shave on
Friday, by Monday he'd have enough to qualify as a good start. In
high school, that's ... dang, annoying.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've always heard that people start to look like their pets after a
while. ;-)
BTW, I use the 3/4" guide for my own facial hair and have been known
to persuade S S to go with the 1" on his winter growth.

I gave up on shaving on a regular basis a few years ago. Maybe once
every other month, since it grows so slow these days. I had to shave
three times a day while in basic, to keep a despicable little drill
sergeant off my ass. That runt's face was as smooth as a baby's ass,
and he probably never had a hair grow on his face.

I'm not growing a beard, I just didn't shave. Okay, since
February. But I knew a guy like you, Bobby could come out of the
bathroom with five o'clock shadow. And if Jack didn't shave on
Friday, by Monday he'd have enough to qualify as a good start. In
high school, that's ... dang, annoying.

I literally grew a mustache in two weeks while in the Army. You were
allowed to have one, but they didn't want to see you grow one. I worked
odd shifts, and only stood Monday morning formation on rare occasions so
I would grow it and let them see it. Then I would shave it off and let
the CO see me. It drove my CO nuts!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I've always heard that people start to look like their pets after a
while. ;-)

BTW, I use the 3/4" guide for my own facial hair and have been known
to persuade S S to go with the 1" on his winter growth.

I gave up on shaving on a regular basis a few years ago. Maybe once
every other month, since it grows so slow these days. I had to shave
three times a day while in basic, to keep a despicable little drill
sergeant off my ass. That runt's face was as smooth as a baby's ass,
and he probably never had a hair grow on his face.

Oddly enough..for most of my life, I could go a week or more without
shaving. After the bypass..I have to shave every day. The leetle buggers
grow really fast now!

Gunner Asch