Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would the cover windows with plywood.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water,
but I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm
surge *could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did
just under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

Good luck. Hope you got a generator and plenty of gas.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show the
eye going right over my garage.g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-irene-2011

Gaaah!

Good luck Ed!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage.g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-irene-2011

Gaaah!

Oooohhh...

Good luck Ed!

--Winston

Thanks, Winston. I'll tie a rope to my ankle and tie the other end to a
sewer pipe. It's the only thing I trust to stay in the ground.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22975" wrote in message
I would the cover windows with plywood.

I'm thinking about it. We are kind of protected by big old trees. What I'm
worried about is one of those big old trees coming through my roof.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water,
but I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm
surge *could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did
just under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

Good luck. Hope you got a generator and plenty of gas.

Best Regards
Tom.

No generator, and I used the last of the gas in the lawnmower this week. If
it looks bad, we're headed west. I have a case of water and food and clothes
for a few days in the trunk.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message

"Ed wrote in message
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the eye going right over my garage.g I'm only 6 miles from salt water,
but I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm
surge *could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did
just under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

Good luck. Hope you got a generator and plenty of gas.

Best Regards
Tom.

No generator, and I used the last of the gas in the lawnmower this week. If
it looks bad, we're headed west. I have a case of water and food and clothes
for a few days in the trunk.

It's not too late to pick up an inverter
to run your fridge off your car electricals
for an hour a day.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-wa...ter-93761.html

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message

"Ed wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the thought, Winston, but I'm not going to get trapped here. If
it's a high Category 2 and headed straight for us, we're gone.

And we only have a hurricane hit hard about once per century. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 25, 11:03*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

I'm right in the line of fire (four mile drive from the George
Washington Bridge), and I'm gonna hunker down and enjoy the show.

I'm most concerned about a tree, more-or-less across the street from
me, that has been functionally dead for years. A couple of years ago,
in a big storm, half of it fell and took out my power for five days.
The other half is likely to go this weekend, and I'll be very ****ed
off. The homeowner* (too cheap to take care of his fsking tree) is
away on vacation.

I do have a generator and plenty of gas. I ran the generator yesterday
afternoon (I run it for 10 minutes or so every three months just to
cook off any condensed water in the oil). I also have a ****load of
batteries (maybe 500 pounds of lead-acids in various UPS devices and a
bunch for flashlights and radios), and another ****load of candles.

Tomorrow, I'll finish moving all my basement shop stuff at least a
foot and a half off the floor.

Being this prepared, I fully expect the storm to be nothing more than
a breeze a drizzle.

*BTW, before anyone starts making political attacs on the owner of the
threatening tree, I should point out that he's a god-damned Canadian.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 25, 11:03*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

Oh, and one more thing. An earthquake AND the "storm of the century"
in the same week? Surely this is some Old-Testament punishment for
something...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Thanks for the thought, Winston, but I'm not going to get trapped here. If
it's a high Category 2 and headed straight for us, we're gone.

And we only have a hurricane hit hard about once per century. d8-)

I'll take my earthquakes any day.

I don't think about them unless they are happening
and when I do think about them with any concentration,
they've already happened.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Aug 25, 11:03 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

I'm right in the line of fire (four mile drive from the George
Washington Bridge), and I'm gonna hunker down and enjoy the show.

'Hope you have a good view.

I'm most concerned about a tree, more-or-less across the street from
me, that has been functionally dead for years. A couple of years ago,
in a big storm, half of it fell and took out my power for five days.
The other half is likely to go this weekend, and I'll be very ****ed
off. The homeowner* (too cheap to take care of his fsking tree) is
away on vacation.

We have a 95-year-old Norway maple in our front yard that I'm worried about,
and an enormous old fir in my neighbor's yard that will take out my entire
roof if it blows down this way.

I do have a generator and plenty of gas. I ran the generator yesterday
afternoon (I run it for 10 minutes or so every three months just to
cook off any condensed water in the oil). I also have a ****load of
batteries (maybe 500 pounds of lead-acids in various UPS devices and a
bunch for flashlights and radios), and another ****load of candles.

Tomorrow, I'll finish moving all my basement shop stuff at least a
foot and a half off the floor.

Being this prepared, I fully expect the storm to be nothing more than
a breeze a drizzle.

Yeah, I think you're helping us all out by all of your preparation. That
ought to almost guarantee a fizzle. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

*BTW, before anyone starts making political attacs on the owner of the
threatening tree, I should point out that he's a god-damned Canadian.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Aug 25, 11:03 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

Oh, and one more thing. An earthquake AND the "storm of the century"
in the same week? Surely this is some Old-Testament punishment for
something...

PLUS, another sign of the apocalypse -- Dick Cheney's memoir is published.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

Ed,

Sounds like your using good judgment; let us know what happened when
your dug out and your internet is back up..

Good Luck!

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

(...)

Thanks for the thought, Winston, but I'm not going to get trapped here.
If
it's a high Category 2 and headed straight for us, we're gone.

And we only have a hurricane hit hard about once per century. d8-)

I'll take my earthquakes any day.

I don't think about them unless they are happening
and when I do think about them with any concentration,
they've already happened.

--Winston

The thing I like about hurricanes, compared to earthquakes and tornadoes, is
that we have no excuse for winding up in physical danger. There's plenty of
warning.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

Ed,

Sounds like your using good judgment; let us know what happened when
your dug out and your internet is back up..

Good Luck!

Erik

Thanks, Erik. The likelihood is that it will wobble off the median path
before it gets here, so we'll probably get a lot of rain and some wind, but
the chance of damaging wind is probably less than even. We will evacuate,
however, if it looks like we're the target.

If I disappear after Saturday night, I'm either in the next state or my ISP
is down.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:06:54 -0700, Winston
wrote:

It's not too late to pick up an inverter
to run your fridge off your car electricals
for an hour a day.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-wa...ter-93761.html

And don't forget to gas up the car/fill all the gas cans -before-
doing the shopping for long-term outages.

So, what's the story on inverters? What can and can't you run on
them? What's the figure on horsepower for them? I've heard you can't
run very large motors, like an electric chainsaw, on them. Does
anybody here have much experience with them?

Regarding evacuations, I don't expect to leave for Irene. You, Win?

But if something were to head my way, I'd pack up the valuables and
leave at the first hint of evacuation, way before it was official.
Traffic out of town is likely to be deadly for at least 24 hours
before the official word leaks out, 48 hours before it's officially
released, especially in very large urban areas.

I really should stock up a second (and maybe 3rd) BOB.
http://goo.gl/Zy6Jg

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:27:20 -0700, Winston
wrote:

--snip--
And we only have a hurricane hit hard about once per century. d8-)

I'll take my earthquakes any day.

You might not be saying that when the Big One hits you
Californicators, Winnie.

That said, I'm on the wrong side of the San Andreas if Murphy is
right. When the Big One hits, everything on the east side of the
fault will fall into the Atlantic.

I'd go with "neither" rather than one or the other.

I don't think about them unless they are happening
and when I do think about them with any concentration,
they've already happened.

Yeah, so far... smirk

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 25, 10:03*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

Good luck Ed.

Don't be a hero...stuff can be replaced.

You and your family can't.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 23:03:11 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

Bon chance, Ed.

Thanks, Don. I could use a new roof, which is the upside. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Aug 25, 10:03 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

Good luck Ed.

Don't be a hero...stuff can be replaced.

You and your family can't.

TMT

Thanks, TMT. Don't worry about us hanging around if it looks really bad.
We're too high to worry about storm surge, and I can handle the rain. But if
the sustained wind is going to be over 70 mph, we're gone.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/25/2011 10:52 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage.g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-irene-2011

Gaaah!

Oooohhh...

Good luck Ed!

--Winston

Thanks, Winston. I'll tie a rope to my ankle and tie the other end to a
sewer pipe. It's the only thing I trust to stay in the ground.

A little better info, Ed.

http://tinyurl.com/44e6rxc

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...cstType=t ext
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grab plenty of cash while you can.
When the power goes out the ATMs won't work!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...
wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Yeah, thanks, Richard. I'm watching NOAA hourly and the NOAA channels are
all tuned in on my battery-powered scanner.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard" wrote in message
m...
Grab plenty of cash while you can.
When the power goes out the ATMs won't work!

Excellent tip.

We have only one way out of the path -- westward. If the eye runs up central
NJ, we're screwed if we don't get out early.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water,
but I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm
surge *could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did
just under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

In all honesty, I'm preparing to ride it out in farmland, NJ... But I'm
also planning on going out with the little "semi-disposable" dual-sport
motorcycle if it's not all that bad so I can get a shot of my crazy arse on
the news feeds...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water,
but I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm
surge *could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did
just under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

In all honesty, I'm preparing to ride it out in farmland, NJ... But I'm
also planning on going out with the little "semi-disposable" dual-sport
motorcycle if it's not all that bad so I can get a shot of my crazy arse
on the news feeds...

Gee, Joe, will they get a shot of you as a stop sign flying by at 70 mph
tries to decapitate you? g

Good luck. You'll need it more than most. I could say something here about
the "for sale" sign that went through our neighbor's window during Hurricane
Hazel (probably before your time), but it wouldn't be appropriate...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water,
but I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm
surge *could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did
just under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

No, I'm about 1000 feet from the bay and maybe 10 or 15 feet elevation......
Some of my fellow kiteboarders are planning on going out when the wind is
"only" 40 or 50.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gee, Joe, will they get a shot of you as a stop sign flying by at 70 mph
tries to decapitate you? g

Good luck. You'll need it more than most. I could say something here about
the "for sale" sign that went through our neighbor's window during
Hurricane Hazel (probably before your time), but it wouldn't be
appropriate...

I'm more worried about flying tree branches... I'm in farm country where
about the only thing that typically blows from anywhere is the smell of
manure.

....Then again, I probably won't have any news crews running around then
either.

For the beach / shore areas and flood areas or anywhere with items or trees
likely to suffer wind damage, this might be a real storm. Otherwise, it's
more media hype I think. I'm far enough inland that I doubt I'll get
anything other than wicked wind and heavy rain.

If I'm still around Monday, I'll report back on the damage we sustain in my
town, 8 miles from the PA border here in NJ.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Water, no cook food, battery radio so the government can
continue to give you orders.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"azotic" wrote in message

Good luck. Hope you got a generator and plenty of gas.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tie it to the US economy? I want GWB back, and the
Republican congress.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

http://www.stormpulse.com/hurricane-irene-2011

Thanks, Winston. I'll tie a rope to my ankle and tie the
other end to a
sewer pipe. It's the only thing I trust to stay in the
ground.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Any stores still open? Go fill up the car, and the gascans.
Maybe a neighbor will be out of gas. Can bring his generator
over, run your sump pump and window AC for an hour, exchange
for some gasoline.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

No generator, and I used the last of the gas in the
lawnmower this week. If
it looks bad, we're headed west. I have a case of water and
food and clothes
for a few days in the trunk.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Of course, you'd take everything frozen or refrigerated with
you. Leave the fridge off, door to fridge and freezer
propped open.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

It's not too late to pick up an inverter
to run your fridge off your car electricals
for an hour a day.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-wa...ter-93761.html

--Winston

Thanks for the thought, Winston, but I'm not going to get
trapped here. If
it's a high Category 2 and headed straight for us, we're
gone.

And we only have a hurricane hit hard about once per
century. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"I really mean it this time...."
(most stern voice)

I'm far enough from the ocean, I don't plan to go any where.
I also doubt to have much storm damage from this one. If it
does, I've plenty of home storage and preps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

The thing I like about hurricanes, compared to earthquakes
and tornadoes, is
that we have no excuse for winding up in physical danger.
There's plenty of
warning.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-26, Richard wrote:
Grab plenty of cash while you can.
When the power goes out the ATMs won't work!

I always follow this tip, helps with surplus dealings, as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Of course, you'd take everything frozen or refrigerated with
you. Leave the fridge off, door to fridge and freezer
propped open.

Nah, let the milk spoil and sell it as yogurt.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

That said, I'm on the wrong side of the San Andreas if Murphy is
right. When the Big One hits, everything on the east side of the
fault will fall into the Atlantic.

Not true. The San Andreas, even as long as it is, is only a sliding
fault. There's no significant subduction going on at all.

But in 100,000[0] years or so, LAX will be the new SFO. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

[0] I just made this number up - I really have no idea how fast the
plates are moving. But boy, when San Andreas lets go, I bet a lot of
LA skyscrapers are going down!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water,
but I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm
surge *could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did
just under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

No, I'm about 1000 feet from the bay and maybe 10 or 15 feet
elevation...... Some of my fellow kiteboarders are planning on going out
when the wind is "only" 40 or 50.

Aack. Youze guys are always doing crazy stuff like that. When I was 21, we
used to wait for the nor'easters to go surfing at Wildwood. It turned
Wildwood into something like the North Shore at Oahu.

Surfing in November is a beach, though. I gave that stuff up about 100 years
ago.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Yeah, check in -- if you're within sight of land. I'm planning to do the
same.

NOAA was saying a few hours ago that my area (six miles west of Raritan Bay)
is in the 80%-likelihood zone for sustained hurricane-force winds.

sigh There goes the bluefishing -- unless you catch them with a butterfly
net as they sail by.

--
Ed Huntress

Planning MDF? [email protected] Woodworking 15 September 12th 10 09:22 PM
Time to evacuate California? Bill McKee Metalworking 0 December 17th 09 07:42 AM
outside deck planning zek Home Repair 6 July 13th 07 05:52 PM
planning [email protected] UK diy 9 January 17th 07 11:47 AM
+++ EVACUATE FLORIDA NOW +++ [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 24th 05 08:26 PM