Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:06:54 -0700, Winston
wrote:

It's not too late to pick up an inverter
to run your fridge off your car electricals
for an hour a day.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1200-wa...ter-93761.html

And don't forget to gas up the car/fill all the gas cans -before-
doing the shopping for long-term outages.

So, what's the story on inverters? What can and can't you run on
them? What's the figure on horsepower for them? I've heard you can't
run very large motors, like an electric chainsaw, on them. Does
anybody here have much experience with them?

Regarding evacuations, I don't expect to leave for Irene. You, Win?

But if something were to head my way, I'd pack up the valuables and
leave at the first hint of evacuation, way before it was official.
Traffic out of town is likely to be deadly for at least 24 hours
before the official word leaks out, 48 hours before it's officially
released, especially in very large urban areas.

I really should stock up a second (and maybe 3rd) BOB.
http://goo.gl/Zy6Jg

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix