Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Aug 25, 11:03 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

I'm right in the line of fire (four mile drive from the George
Washington Bridge), and I'm gonna hunker down and enjoy the show.

'Hope you have a good view.

I'm most concerned about a tree, more-or-less across the street from
me, that has been functionally dead for years. A couple of years ago,
in a big storm, half of it fell and took out my power for five days.
The other half is likely to go this weekend, and I'll be very ****ed
off. The homeowner* (too cheap to take care of his fsking tree) is
away on vacation.

We have a 95-year-old Norway maple in our front yard that I'm worried about,
and an enormous old fir in my neighbor's yard that will take out my entire
roof if it blows down this way.

I do have a generator and plenty of gas. I ran the generator yesterday
afternoon (I run it for 10 minutes or so every three months just to
cook off any condensed water in the oil). I also have a ****load of
batteries (maybe 500 pounds of lead-acids in various UPS devices and a
bunch for flashlights and radios), and another ****load of candles.

Tomorrow, I'll finish moving all my basement shop stuff at least a
foot and a half off the floor.

Being this prepared, I fully expect the storm to be nothing more than
a breeze a drizzle.

Yeah, I think you're helping us all out by all of your preparation. That
ought to almost guarantee a fizzle. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

*BTW, before anyone starts making political attacs on the owner of the
threatening tree, I should point out that he's a god-damned Canadian.