Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

On Aug 25, 11:03*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

--
Ed Huntress

I'm right in the line of fire (four mile drive from the George
Washington Bridge), and I'm gonna hunker down and enjoy the show.

I'm most concerned about a tree, more-or-less across the street from
me, that has been functionally dead for years. A couple of years ago,
in a big storm, half of it fell and took out my power for five days.
The other half is likely to go this weekend, and I'll be very ****ed
off. The homeowner* (too cheap to take care of his fsking tree) is
away on vacation.

I do have a generator and plenty of gas. I ran the generator yesterday
afternoon (I run it for 10 minutes or so every three months just to
cook off any condensed water in the oil). I also have a ****load of
batteries (maybe 500 pounds of lead-acids in various UPS devices and a
bunch for flashlights and radios), and another ****load of candles.

Tomorrow, I'll finish moving all my basement shop stuff at least a
foot and a half off the floor.

Being this prepared, I fully expect the storm to be nothing more than
a breeze a drizzle.

*BTW, before anyone starts making political attacs on the owner of the
threatening tree, I should point out that he's a god-damned Canadian.