Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

rangerssuck wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:00 am, " ? wrote:
? On Aug 26, 12:17 am, rangerssuck ? wrote:
?
? ? I'm right in the line of fire (four mile drive from the George
? ? Washington Bridge), and I'm gonna hunker down and enjoy the show.
?
? ? Being this prepared, I fully expect the storm to be nothing more than
? ? a breeze a drizzle.
?
? It was pretty much a non event at our house. We did get a lot of
? rain, but not close to the prediction of 12 to 14 inches. The creek
? is up and out of its banks, but it has been higher as a result of
? thunderstorms. The power stayed on which is good as I can hear the
? sump pump running every once in a while. Still pretty breezy outside,
? but looking from the house I can not see any trees or limbs down.
?
? Dan

Our power was out 5am Sunday through 10pm Sunday. Cable ? internet
were out from about 11am to a few minutes after the power came back
(I'm thinking Time Warner doesn't have enough backup power).

All it takes is one failed UPS on a CATV system to take everything
down. BTDT, and repaired the pole mounted UPS in the shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 6:57*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

--
You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense

The cable stayed up for about five hours after the power failed. I
don't think this was an equipment failure, I think it was undersized
batteries. Ever seen the batteries in a Verizon central office?
They're about as big as a small house. And next to them is the multi-
fueled generator.

What really burns me is that the Time Warner guy (in Buffalo, NY) who
ansered the phone last night, a full eight hours after the failure,
had absolutely zero information on the nature of the failure. Couldn't
tell me the size of the affected area, couldn't give me a clue about
who was working where to fix it, Nothing. This is the 21st century.
The Information Age. They advertise high-end, broadband, business-
class service (and yes, I am a business customer). They simply don't
know how to deal with this kind of event. And that's not acceptable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/29/2011 6:26 PM, rangerssuck wrote:

The cable stayed up for about five hours after the power failed. I
don't think this was an equipment failure, I think it was undersized
batteries. Ever seen the batteries in a Verizon central office?
They're about as big as a small house. And next to them is the multi-
fueled generator.

What really burns me is that the Time Warner guy (in Buffalo, NY) who
ansered the phone last night, a full eight hours after the failure,
had absolutely zero information on the nature of the failure. Couldn't
tell me the size of the affected area, couldn't give me a clue about
who was working where to fix it, Nothing. This is the 21st century.
The Information Age. They advertise high-end, broadband, business-
class service (and yes, I am a business customer). They simply don't
know how to deal with this kind of event. And that's not acceptable.

That's the problem with high technology.
It doesn't take much to get knocked back to the stone age...

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
I didn't think there was any farm country left in NJ.

Plenty. Wooded areas too. Even a great swamp.

If it wasn't for the taxes, it'd be paradise. ..

Now you're going overboard. g But yes, few of the travelers who know only
the NJ Turnpike have any idea how wooded this state is, and how much
farmland there is.

Even around Princeton, once you get past the developments, most of the land
is farms.

.And maybe some other negatives I'm conveniently overlooking at this time.

The benefits depend somewhat on whether you're connected. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Now you're going overboard. g But yes, few of the travelers who know
only the NJ Turnpike have any idea how wooded this state is, and how much
farmland there is.

Even around Princeton, once you get past the developments, most of the
land is farms.

To give everyone a better picture of what my part of NJ is like, I'm about
50 miles due west of Times Square, NYC. I am 8 miles from PA as the bird
flies. I watched the DirecTV blimp float overhead last night around 9 PM
and we have multiple hot air balloon fly-overs daily if the weather
permits.

You must be around Spruce Run somewhere.

My front lawn has a "crop circle" that is actually a balloon landing
target. We have more deer, red tailed fox, raccoon, geese, snakes, turtles
and horses than we can count on our block alone (counted 50+ deer in 20
minutes a few weeks ago) so food is abundant should a major catastrophe
ever really occur...

.And maybe some other negatives I'm conveniently overlooking at this
time.

The benefits depend somewhat on whether you're connected. d8-)

Hey... I'm mostly Sicilian and our... cough The official stance by
many is that there is no mafia.

LOL.

Right. One of my high school friends in Princeton was the son of Sam the
Plumber. Tell me there's no mafia. d8-)

It's the Amish that worry me. Those radicals.

Dangerous people, especially when they form a posse...

--
Ed Huntress

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 7:22*pm, Richard wrote:
[...]

Richard- Hide quoted text -

A damn good quote.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:00 am, " ? wrote:
[...]

Do you expect the cable company to have a generator every half mile?
Where would they put them so no one could steal them, yet be easy to
refuel and service?

What really burns me is that the Time Warner guy (in Buffalo, NY) who
ansered the phone last night, a full eight hours after the failure,
had absolutely zero information on the nature of the failure. Couldn't
tell me the size of the affected area, couldn't give me a clue about
who was working where to fix it, Nothing. This is the 21st century.
The Information Age. They advertise high-end, broadband, business-
class service (and yes, I am a business customer). They simply don't
know how to deal with this kind of event. And that's not acceptable.

Sigh. In a major outage it's difficult to determine the affected
area. The calls aren't taken by the people doing the work in the
field. I worked in CATV for four years, and despised the idiots who
interrupted my crews to demand that they stop what they are doing, to go
fix the outage at their house, when they are already working on the
outage.

What do you think they can do after major damage, and just how long
do you think the UPS batteries should last? They could make it
bulletproof, if everyone was willing to pay a couple thousand dollars a
month to pay for the equipment, and upkeep. Five hours is a lot longer
than the average power outage for a cable system, so you just have a
bunch of sour grapes.

If you don't like the way they do business, raise the capital and
build your own broadband backbone and TV headend. Figure a minimum of 20
million dollars to get started. Then there are the franchise fees, OSHA
to deal with, and all the utilities you'll have to share the right of
way with. You'll need some great corporate communications lawyers, as
well as ones who can work with the FAA and the EPA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I'm still around Monday, I'll report back on the damage we sustain in
my town, 8 miles from the PA border here in NJ.

Okay... So here is the situation... We lost power for a total of around 20
minutes at the house. Heavy rain caused a bit of erosion of my landscaping
and I had plenty of time to work on the generator since my shop was
powerless until Tuesday morning.

The heavy rain around us in farm country, NJ wasn't such a problem as the
local streams handled it pretty well. The only major problem we have in
town is that the water rushed down a hillside, across a roadway removing the
guard rails and road surface and dumped it all into the local stream where
it was promptly washed away. Some downed trees due to the wind.

Next town over still has some power outages and of course some downed trees.

My son's school (high school - started last Thursday) was closed Monday and
is operational today.

Here at work, we are 750' from the Passaic River which is at a historic
flood stage. We are fine here but didn't have power yesterday. ...Actually,
that's a lie. We had partial three phase to the building which was about as
useful as no power.

In town, it's a HUGE mess. All the water we got at the house came
downstream to areas like here and elsewhere and those downstream areas are
extremely flooded. ...As in still impassable and probably severely damaged.

I still don't have internet so I'm typing this and sending it, but it may
not go out until the DSL comes back up.

Seeing as fiber is available all around here, I'm guessing DSL will be their
*last* priority.

(Just reset the router. If I caught this before the mail client replicated,
you will get only this copy of my message...)

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I didn't think there was any farm country left in NJ.

Plenty. Wooded areas too. Even a great swamp.

If it wasn't for the taxes, it'd be paradise. ...And maybe some other
negatives I'm conveniently overlooking at this time.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:00 am, " ? wrote:
[...]

You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.- Hide quoted text -

They could run copper in parallel with their cable and supply power
from the head end. That what the phone company does. Have you ever
seen the backup power supply in a Verizon CO? You'd be impressed. Is
it expensive? I'm sure it is, but that's one of the costs of doing
business. I made damn sure that I had enough backup power to run my
business for days - Time Warner did not.

I'm not even remotely suggesting that I wanted them to drop whatever
they were doing and fix mine first. But the crews are dispatched by
SOMEONE to SOMEWHERE, and it would be a 30 second phone call, or, even
better, a couple of mouse clicks to get that information to the call
center.

By the way, I have a commercial data account with Time Warner. My bill
is over $500 per month. When it works, it's OK, but their level of
customer service sucks. We recently ordered a larger block of static
IP addresses. They asked me when I wanted to make the switch, and I
told them it would be best to do it Sunday morning. Imagine my
surprise when they told me that they could only do it during business
hours, Monday - Friday. That guarantees a service interruption while
DNS servers propogate. Again, I'm not impressed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:00 am, " ? wrote:
[...]

You have no clue about anything. DO yo know anything about how a
CATV system is powered? They run 30A at 60 VAC down their trunkline and
feeder lines. Trunk line is .750" or larger. Feeder is generally
..500". Now, how in the hell could they do what you propose with
hundreds of miles of trunklines and feeders?

As far as the batteries in a central office, I've seen them, starting
in the mid '60s. I've also see a warehouse full of dead and damaged
telco 'Rectifiers' that had been used to float charge those batteries.
I built CATV headends and designed distribution systems.

I'm not even remotely suggesting that I wanted them to drop whatever
they were doing and fix mine first. But the crews are dispatched by
SOMEONE to SOMEWHERE, and it would be a 30 second phone call, or, even
better, a couple of mouse clicks to get that information to the call
center.

Then find who to call, and call them yourself. If you are a special
customer, you can get the local system manager's home phone number. Or
even better, the CEO's home phone number. It just doesn't work the way
you want, especially with the economy in the toilet. Some crews are
dispatched to exact problem locations like a damaged pole or snapped
trunkline, while other have to find the cause. In those cases, we had a
list of homes at strategic points in the system where people would tell
our crew if it was working or not. That would break it down into about
three mile blocks. When they knew the first affected area they would
work their way back, to find the problem. Sometimes that included
looking into a bar to see if their TV was working.

Today, they track the outages through the cable modems that don't
respond. If too much of the system is down, the software can't handle
it since it's a secondary function. Answering more phone calls when
everyone is busy restoring service just isn't going to happen. Even
people in the offices are busy pulling supplies from inventory, and
calling around for things in short supply. You can use an entire year's
supply of some items in a day, after an emergency, and the crews can
only work so many hours without sleep.

Try calling to report a power outage, if you aren't the first in your
area. All you get is an automated message stating that they have their
crews busy on the problems. My electric was out for over a month after
one hurricane, and they wouldn't answer any questions, the entire time.

By the way, I have a commercial data account with Time Warner. My bill
is over $500 per month. When it works, it's OK, but their level of
customer service sucks. We recently ordered a larger block of static
IP addresses. They asked me when I wanted to make the switch, and I
told them it would be best to do it Sunday morning. Imagine my
surprise when they told me that they could only do it during business
hours, Monday - Friday. That guarantees a service interruption while
DNS servers propogate. Again, I'm not impressed.

Neither am I. if it's that critcal, you should have distributed
servers in multiple areas. If you don't like their service, then drop
them and find another provider. Time Warner was never known for
customer service, any more than they were as Warner Amex, or any of the
other names they used since they first entered the business. They were
the worst rated in SW ohio every year that I worked for another cable
company. After the first year I was there, we were rated #1.

Dig really deep in your wallet and pay for private fiber, or just
live with it. They provide the level of service that the average
customer accepts. It's your right to find another provider, or to move
the business to where you can get the level of service that you want.
Our company would do off hours work, but only if scheduled well in
advance. We only had one man on call after the office closed, since
most of the time they had nothing to do after hours.

Since you love Verizon so much, why don't you order a bunch of DSL
lines? I hear more horror stories about them than I do with people
using the Road Runner backbone.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

I thought you were in Millington. that's a long way from the Passaic
river. The Passaic river always floods in Wayne west of 23. I think
all the houses along the river there have davits above the garage. : )

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I didn't think there was any farm country left in NJ.

Plenty. Wooded areas too. Even a great swamp.

If it wasn't for the taxes, it'd be paradise. ...And maybe some other
negatives I'm conveniently overlooking at this time.

I grew up in Northern NJ in Secaucus. Back then it was a good town in
a good state. Ten minutes from Times Square but yet in farm country. I
could ride through town on my bicycle with my 12 ga. shotgun across the
handlebars to go hunting in the swamp with no one getting the least bit
excited.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You must be around Spruce Run somewhere.

Almost perfectly placed half-way between Spruce Run and Round Valley.

Moved from Essex County 1-1/2 years ago or so. Love it out here.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here at work, we are 750' from the Passaic River which is at a historic
flood stage. We are fine here but didn't have power yesterday.
...Actually,
that's a lie. We had partial three phase to the building which was about
as
useful as no power.

I thought you were in Millington. that's a long way from the Passaic
river. The Passaic river always floods in Wayne west of 23. I think all
the houses along the river there have davits above the garage. : )

John

John,

You'd be amazed at where the Passaic goes...

Check out this Mapquest map: http://mapq.st/pVsAFG

The Passaic starts just a few miles from here in the Morristown area and
snakes its way out past Wayne and Little Falls (I lived in that area until
about 2 years ago)...

One of my life goals is to canoe the length of the Passaic from start to
end... With a few hop-offs for stuff like the Patterson falls.

By the way, the Patterson Falls (Great Falls?) are essentially gone right
now. The water level made the falls essentially go under water from what
I'm hearing. That's the extent of the flooding in that town...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
You must be around Spruce Run somewhere.

Almost perfectly placed half-way between Spruce Run and Round Valley.

Moved from Essex County 1-1/2 years ago or so. Love it out here.
--

Oh, yeah, that's a beautiful area. I fsh at Round Valley, and I used to hunt
at the Clinton WMA, right next to Spruce Run

I hope to get over there more often, now that I get free senior-citizen park
passes. Geezerhood is starting to produce some rewards. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, yeah, that's a beautiful area. I fsh at Round Valley, and I used to
hunt at the Clinton WMA, right next to Spruce Run

I hope to get over there more often, now that I get free senior-citizen
park passes. Geezerhood is starting to produce some rewards. d8-)

E-mail me early enough about your trip out this way and maybe we can catch a
bite together, etc.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Oh, yeah, that's a beautiful area. I fsh at Round Valley, and I used to
hunt at the Clinton WMA, right next to Spruce Run

I hope to get over there more often, now that I get free senior-citizen
park passes. Geezerhood is starting to produce some rewards. d8-)

E-mail me early enough about your trip out this way and maybe we can catch
a bite together, etc.

Sure, Joe. I'd like that.

--
Ed Huntress

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

I always thought that the Passaic river started somewhere west of Wayne
in the low swampy areas there. I never realized that it continued and
ran all over the place.

I almost bought a house in Little Falls way back when. The house was on
top of the greatnotch ridge and had a commanding view of NYC and east.
I bought an airplane in stead.

The Passaic river drains a lot of territory and it floods with any
signifiant amount of rainfall. It must be a real mess with all the
rain from the tropical storm.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Passaic river drains a lot of territory and it floods with any
signifiant amount of rainfall. It must be a real mess with all the rain
from the tropical storm.

We may not flood as bad as many other areas of the country... But it
affects a lot more people and a heck of a lot more businesses than anywhere
else in the nation given our business and population density... Imagine it
taking 3 hours to go 50 miles (straight line) on highways because of traffic
and closed roads. ...That's the commute for some people right now if they
are lucky enough to be able to get out.

No worries though, Katina is on the way to give us another round of
cleansing rain and wind.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022 x113
01.908.542.0244
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-HQ.com
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
I didn't think there was any farm country left in NJ.

Plenty. Wooded areas too. Even a great swamp.

If it wasn't for the taxes, it'd be paradise. ...And maybe some other
negatives I'm conveniently overlooking at this time.

I grew up in Northern NJ in Secaucus. Back then it was a good town in
a good state. Ten minutes from Times Square but yet in farm country. I
could ride through town on my bicycle with my 12 ga. shotgun across the
handlebars to go hunting in the swamp with no one getting the least bit
excited.

Do that today, and they will think that you're a terrorist.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

Did you come out okay?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

Did you come out okay?

Wes

Oh, yeah. But I got a new wading pool in my basement. d8-)

All is well, thanks. Everything is drying out pretty well.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 2, 6:37*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

Did you come out okay?

Wes

Oh, yeah. But I got a new wading pool in my basement. d8-)

All is well, thanks. Everything is drying out pretty well.

--
Ed Huntress

Ed...FYI....Irene is considered to be one of the top ten hurricanes in
terms of damage to the US...and likely to move up that scale as the
damage assessments come in.

Did you hear that the Republicans do not want to spend any new money
helping Irene's victums but want existing programs cut to pay for any
hurricane damage?

TMT

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I heard them. I think they'll back away from that posture.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Ed Huntress- Hide quoted text -

Don't be too sure...I have seen how quickly politicians forget when
they don't have to do the actual work.

Have any of the Republican Presidental candidates offered to help you
pump your basement out?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Is anyone starting to plan evacuation out there? The latest models show
the
eye going right over my garage. g I'm only 6 miles from salt water, but
I'm at 115 feet of altitude, so I'm going to ride it out. The storm surge
*could* wind up re-shaping the barrier islands of NJ, like one did just
under a century ago.

It doesn't look good.

Did you come out okay?

Wes

Oh, yeah. But I got a new wading pool in my basement. d8-)

All is well, thanks. Everything is drying out pretty well.

--
Ed Huntress

A question...how does one recover from flooding when you have no power
like so many affected by Irene?

No pumps, no vacuums, no lights.

How are you and your neighbors coping with the cleanup when one does
not have power?

Thanks for any insight into this.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 2, 12:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

A question...how does one recover from flooding when you have no power
like so many affected by Irene?

No pumps, no vacuums, no lights.

How are you and your neighbors coping with the cleanup when one does
not have power?

Thanks for any insight into this.

TMT

That is easy. You use that generator that you said you did not
need.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

We have power. My house lost power at 2:00 AM during the hurricane, when a
tree branch fell on our pole drops from across the street. My neighbors did
not lose power, so, early the next morning, I ran an extension cord from my
neighbor's garage to my house.

Meantime, the water in the basement had risen to almost 7 inches. The sump
pump didn't actually pump it all out. After the rain stopped, the level went
down 4 inches without the pump running. It just ran down the sump hole and
out under our slab. Very strange.

--
Ed Huntress

Thanks for any insight into this.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

TMT- Hide quoted text -

Interesting...sounds like your water table went up and then went down.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 2, 11:27*am, " wrote:
On Sep 2, 12:17*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

A question...how does one recover from flooding when you have no power
like so many affected by Irene?

No pumps, no vacuums, no lights.

How are you and your neighbors coping with the cleanup when one does
not have power?

Thanks for any insight into this.

TMT

That is easy. *You use that generator that you said you did not
need.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

LOL..you got me on that one.

I was referring to "survival" when discussing the generator...not
clean up activities later.

One NEEDS water and food...one does not NEED a dry basement.

TMT

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Why was not the pump pumping? Did it break or something?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 2, 1:40*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

One NEEDS water and food...one does not NEED a dry basement.

TMT

There are a lot of things I do not need. But find life is easier with
them.

Hot water
Air Conditioning
Television
Internet
Dry Basement.

Life is too short to do everything the hard way.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

The pump stopped at 2:00 AM when my power went out. I started it again the
next morning by running an extension cord from my neighbor's garage.

One other house and mine were the only two on the street that lost power.
The other guy's house was on "Good Morning America" the next morning,
because he had a photogenic mess of downed wires and a big tree right across
the street. Mine was too dull for them. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

I don't think the water table ever went up. The ground near the surface was
just soaked. We had a storm that dumped 5.6 inches the week I was away on
vacation; a week and a half later, we had another 10 inches.

It was too much. It just backed up in the basement. But it must have been
draining out the bottom all the while. When the rain stopped, it kept
running out.

The same thing happened to a friend on the next block, with a similar old
house.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

A water alarm, backup sump pump, and a generator would have helped.

How bad was the damage?

If my house has 7 inches of water in basement, it would be very
expensive to repair and replace everything that was affected.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Yes, they would. Now, calculate the lost interest over 25 years, which is
the time between events. d8-)

How bad was the damage?

Not as bad as I feared. The power tools dried out and ran just fine. I lost
maybe $150 worth of stuff.

If my house has 7 inches of water in basement, it would be very
expensive to repair and replace everything that was affected.

Most of what I have is up on shelves. I built heavy shelves on three of the
four walls as soon as I moved in, 33 years ago.

--
Ed Huntress

Planning MDF? [email protected] Woodworking 15 September 12th 10 09:22 PM
Time to evacuate California? Bill McKee Metalworking 0 December 17th 09 07:42 AM
outside deck planning zek Home Repair 6 July 13th 07 05:52 PM
planning [email protected] UK diy 9 January 17th 07 11:47 AM
+++ EVACUATE FLORIDA NOW +++ [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 24th 05 08:26 PM