Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default OT - Anyone planning to evacuate from Irene?

On Aug 29, 6:57*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:00 am, " ? wrote:
? On Aug 26, 12:17 am, rangerssuck ? wrote:
?
? ? I'm right in the line of fire (four mile drive from the George
? ? Washington Bridge), and I'm gonna hunker down and enjoy the show.
?
? ? Being this prepared, I fully expect the storm to be nothing more than
? ? a breeze a drizzle.
?
? It was pretty much a non event at our house. *We did get a lot of
? rain, but not close to the prediction of 12 to 14 inches. *The creek
? is *up and out of its banks, but it *has been higher as a result of
? thunderstorms. *The power stayed on which is good as I can hear the
? sump pump running every once in a while. *Still pretty breezy outside,
? but looking from the house I can not see any trees or limbs down.
?
? * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

Our power was out 5am Sunday through 10pm Sunday. Cable ? internet
were out from about 11am to a few minutes after the power came back
(I'm thinking Time Warner doesn't have enough backup power).

* *All it takes is one failed UPS on a CATV system to take everything
down. *BTDT, and repaired the pole mounted UPS in the shop.

--
You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense

The cable stayed up for about five hours after the power failed. I
don't think this was an equipment failure, I think it was undersized
batteries. Ever seen the batteries in a Verizon central office?
They're about as big as a small house. And next to them is the multi-
fueled generator.

What really burns me is that the Time Warner guy (in Buffalo, NY) who
ansered the phone last night, a full eight hours after the failure,
had absolutely zero information on the nature of the failure. Couldn't
tell me the size of the affected area, couldn't give me a clue about
who was working where to fix it, Nothing. This is the 21st century.
The Information Age. They advertise high-end, broadband, business-
class service (and yes, I am a business customer). They simply don't
know how to deal with this kind of event. And that's not acceptable.