Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do you use 3/4 inch drive sockets for light home use purposes

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I have an extensive set of 3/4" drive tools by Williams -- two Williams
boxes full. I used it to maintain the Cat engine and pumps, the anchor
capstain gearbox, etc., on my uncle's boat (42'). Since then I've used it
about twice.

BTW, anchor capstains weren't called anchor capstains, but I can't repeat
what they actually were called. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I would say that I need a 3/4" drive socket 1/10th of 1/2 of 1% of the time.
Maybe once every two years. Most anything else, I can break loose with a
half inch and a cheater pipe, although I don't like that combination.

If a guy deals with that big a nuts on a regular basis, they are making some
serious cash for heavy repairs, and the tools just follow.

Just like welding. Lots of guys have toys, but a serious welder will go buy
the big machine that will start EVERY TIME, run 24/7 and ring the cash
register without missing a beat.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11457 wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I have a basic 3/4 drive socket set for home use. I used to use it a lot
on my backhoe, now it is largely used for the lug nuts on my trucks
(350/3500) which are still finished with a 1/2 drive torque wrench. Now
and then I use it for items that are larger than the sockets I have in
1/4-3/8-1/2 drive. In short, it does come in handy now and then, but it
doesn't get used that much.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can't say as I've owned a 3/4 drive anything, in the years
I've been fixing stuff. But, then, I've never repaired heavy
construction equipment.

In about 1998, I got an electric impact wrench. Half drive,
of course. It doesn't fit in small places, like under the
fenders to change leaf springs. But it was excellent for
lugnuts. I was about three hours drive from home one day,
and it cracked, after removing the 2nd lug of a 10 lug brake
job. I'd paid about $75 for it, and replaced it with a $50
one on sale from Harbor Freight. The HF one has done every
bit as good a job, and came with a blow mold case. I keep
two sizes of lug sockets in the blow mold case, 3/4 and
13/16. Or 19 and 21, if you like the metric equivilant.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus11457" wrote
in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive
sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a
pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series
II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious
equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus11457 wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

I use them, but I have a backhoe as part of my junque.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

Iggy, like others, I have used my set removing large spindle nuts from
various pickup trucks. BUT the large sockets are extremely handy for
pushing or driving bearing races and other sundry parts. Without them I
would have to fire up the lathe and make tooling.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:19:13 -0500, Ignoramus11457
wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

Total overkill on anything "home-owner" I worked on industrial
equipment - dozers, backhoes, loaders etc and there were definitely
times they came in handy. Likewize on heavy trucks. Never needed them
on anything under a 3 tonner though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 27, 4:19*pm, Ignoramus11457 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11457.invalid wrote:
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I bought my set so I could take the blades off my big rotary mower for
sharpening. Then I discovered how handy they were for removing the big
ball from the pickup trailer hitch. Then discovered they worked great
on the tractor rear wheel lug nuts.

So, about once a year I need to use something from the set.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not too many of you seem to have had an older VW Vanagon.
When I had them I had a 3/4' impact socket 3/4" drive breakover bar with
a 3' 1" pipe to loosen the lug nuts. They seemed to gall and I was not
about to get a hernia trying to loosen them.

Chuck P.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-27, Ignoramus11457 wrote:
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I've had to buy individual sizes from time to time.

One was when I was helping a female friend change the brake
shoes on the rear of her VW Beetle. One big central hex nut there to
take off the brake drum. (36mm IIRC.)

Another (and much more recent) was when I got a used DiAcro 24"
metal shear and discovered that one of the two big nuts securing the
side columns to the base casting was missing. Apparently whoever used
it during that time did all their cutting near the other column. :-)

So -- yes, I've needed them from time to time. Whether this
officially counts as "light home use" remains to be seen. :-)

Oh yes -- I also have a 3/4" drive torque wrench picked up in a
surplus sale perhaps twenty to twenty-five years ago, along with
several smaller sizes, 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" square drives. Kept them all
and glad that I did.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Somewhere, I have ONE 3/4" socket and a 3/4" brake bar. I don't
remember for sure what I needed them for. I want to say the front axle
nuts on a 1951 Cadillac, but I could easily be wrong, and I think it
was only because at the time I couldn't find a 1/2" socket large
enough, not because I needed the power.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

well, I use a 3/4 drive socket to tighten the rear axle nuts on my 356 (and
old VW) and to tighten the flywheel nut on those cars - with a 6 foot length
of pipe and me jumping up and down on the pipe I can get to the required
torque.

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus11457 wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I've been doing automotive work for eons, and can only remember a couple
of times where 3/4 drive stuff might have been nice.

However, years ago I bought a 1/2" drive 24" $nap On breaker bar... it
was about $50 bucks IIRC (probably $175 now). Even it doesn't get 'that'
much use, but several times a year, it leaves a big cheery grin on my
face.

For a home use example... a couple of weeks ago, a neighbor had a
leaking pipe nipple behind his toilet... rusty, tight like hell, limited
access, they'd been messing with it for hours. Went over there with the
24" breaker bar, 20" extension, 1/2" easy out and 1/2" drive 8 point
socket to match. Said nipple was out in less time than it took to type
this paragraph.

I wouldn't blow money on 3/4" stuff unless your really sure you'll need
it, and then only get what you need.

Good Luck!

Erik

PS, now that I think about it, my local equipment rental place rents
3/4" socket sets... yours might too. I'd sure ask around before I'd buy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I use them occasionally, but seldom for Light Home Use

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 27, 7:19*pm, Ignoramus11457 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11457.invalid wrote:
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I bought a cheap set to loosen large rusty vehicle bolts, but have
only used it on the heater elements of a neighbor's "lifetime" Sears
water heater, and then only because of the large Proto socket we
bought to fit them, IIRC Sears didn't have it that day.

The plugs on these elements are solid brass, to conduct heat for the
thermostat out of the plastic tank. The elements cost over $50 and
burn out as fast as cheap ones. I save the brass to make fittings for
my solar energy projects.

Think of the socket set as planting a seed to grow your own front end
loader some day. Around here they are status toys, along with an
equipment trailer and a pickup that can tow 10,000 Lbs.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 27, 7:46*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Hey! I'm VERY serious about my welder working for that 15 minutes/
month I need it!

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You didn't discover axle grease, or never-sieze for the
threads?

Many years ago, a farmer friend of mine had a farm wagon
with rusted on lugs. He ended up take them to a guy with a
cutting torch, who cut the lugs off and threaded for smaller
lugs. The new lugs were so loosely threaded, they kept
loosening. I can't remember if he went with threadlock, or
tack welded them on.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pilgrim" wrote in message
news Not too many of you seem to have had an older VW Vanagon.
When I had them I had a 3/4' impact socket 3/4" drive
breakover bar with
a 3' 1" pipe to loosen the lug nuts. They seemed to gall and
I was not
about to get a hernia trying to loosen them.

Chuck P.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a similar thing with the front hub of my 89 Chevrolet
Blazer. Turns out the auto parts has a specific socket for
that -- and in half inch drive.

Can't say as I've ever owned, or needed 3/4 drive. Not
having owned a VW, or a bulldozer, or backhoe.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
Somewhere, I have ONE 3/4" socket and a 3/4" brake bar. I
don't
remember for sure what I needed them for. I want to say the
front axle
nuts on a 1951 Cadillac, but I could easily be wrong, and I
think it
was only because at the time I couldn't find a 1/2" socket
large
enough, not because I needed the power.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My breaker bar is from Horrid Fright, but I use it only once
a year or so. I've found an application where it broke a
bolt off, where impact wrench removed the nut (rear shocks
on rusty pickup truck).

Sounds like you were the man with the proper tool. I've had
that moment once in a while when a friend or neighbor is
doing car repairs in the driveway. My next door neighbor had
been trying to remove the 18 MM bolt to change his brake
caliper, and had broken a couple box wrenches. Black socket,
and breaker bar did the job.

Renting probably cheaper than buying, even at HF prices.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Erik" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I have an impact and a regular 3/4" set. Plus the 3/4 impact wrench. I use
these as much as any other wrench set.

And, of course, all my work is for light home hobby use.

looks like a lot of folks here just do micro scale work.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/28/2010 8:49 AM, Ignoramus11457 wrote:
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

My 3/4 socket set is a combination set 3/4" - 2 " and 19 mm - 50mm Minimax .
It's left over from my days as a Power Station Mechanic , I do use it to
loosen ,crankshaft timing pulley bolts and the drive sprocket retaining
nut on my 1200 Suzuki motorcycle .
Also handy for my towbar ball hitch nut.
The breaker bar is bent though , I used a five foot pipe on it to crack
the hold down bolts on a gas turbine one time.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/28/2010 2:04 PM, Bill Noble wrote:
well, I use a 3/4 drive socket to tighten the rear axle nuts on my 356
(and old VW) and to tighten the flywheel nut on those cars - with a 6
foot length of pipe and me jumping up and down on the pipe I can get to
the required torque.

214 ftlbs if IIRC for the VW flywheel nut.Just stuck in my mind from
many years ago.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kevin(Bluey)" wrote in message
. au...
On 4/28/2010 2:04 PM, Bill Noble wrote:
well, I use a 3/4 drive socket to tighten the rear axle nuts on my 356
(and old VW) and to tighten the flywheel nut on those cars - with a 6
foot length of pipe and me jumping up and down on the pipe I can get to
the required torque.

214 ftlbs if IIRC for the VW flywheel nut.Just stuck in my mind from many
years ago.

Or, as the guy who wrote _How To Keep Your VW Alive_ says, two or three
jumps on the end of a BMF wrench. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, thanks to all. It would sound that your uses of this center on
deep automotive repairs.

My thinking on this is as follows. In 10 years of messing with
machinery, I never needed 3/4" sockets even once. I never work on cars
to the extent of needing to take off flywheels or crankshafts. I
cannot see why I would ever want to. I use vehicles to get myself and
my things from point A to point B.

I have 1/2" size sockets, up to 30" breaker bars, and a 1/2" impact,
that take care of all my needs.

What I will do is keep one 3/4" T-handle breaker bar, maybe a ratchet,
and no more than 4-5 sockets 1.5" to 2". (I can use regular 1/2"
sockets under 1.5"). The remaining 100 lbs of stuff I will get rid
of. I have no need for weird stuff like a 1 inch drive, 3 1/8" socket
or other monstrosities.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You didn't discover axle grease, or never-sieze for the
threads?

Many years ago, a farmer friend of mine had a farm wagon
with rusted on lugs. He ended up take them to a guy with a
cutting torch, who cut the lugs off and threaded for smaller
lugs. The new lugs were so loosely threaded, they kept
loosening. I can't remember if he went with threadlock, or
tack welded them on.

I don't think it was the threads. I seemed to be the chamfer area on the
rim and the tapered portion of the nuts,

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:09:30 -0500, Ignoramus22435
wrote:

What I will do is keep one 3/4" T-handle breaker bar, maybe a ratchet,
and no more than 4-5 sockets 1.5" to 2".

This
has served my needs for 10 years. Paid $35 on sale. Probably a better
investment than a lot of other stuff you have.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Many years ago, a farmer friend of mine had a farm wagon
with rusted on lugs. He ended up take them to a guy with a
cutting torch, who cut the lugs off and threaded for smaller
lugs. The new lugs were so loosely threaded, they kept
loosening. I can't remember if he went with threadlock, or
tack welded them on.

The old ones had COARSE threads. Not for sure how they kept them on, cotter
pin, bend over tab? A man could so easily take the nuts off his wagon that
many did when they went in for a night of poker. Hence the phrase "the
nuts" in poker meaning you got ownership.

Steve

visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com watch for book

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22435 wrote:
OK, thanks to all. It would sound that your uses of this center on
deep automotive repairs.

My thinking on this is as follows. In 10 years of messing with
machinery, I never needed 3/4" sockets even once. I never work on cars
to the extent of needing to take off flywheels or crankshafts. I
cannot see why I would ever want to. I use vehicles to get myself and
my things from point A to point B.

I have 1/2" size sockets, up to 30" breaker bars, and a 1/2" impact,
that take care of all my needs.

What I will do is keep one 3/4" T-handle breaker bar, maybe a ratchet,
and no more than 4-5 sockets 1.5" to 2". (I can use regular 1/2"
sockets under 1.5"). The remaining 100 lbs of stuff I will get rid
of. I have no need for weird stuff like a 1 inch drive, 3 1/8" socket
or other monstrosities.

that describes my tools almost exactly. Add a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter for the
impact wrench.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I have a set of 3/4 drive sockets. I use one regularly for the slide on
forks I made for my front loader. Another I use regularly for the prop nut
on my big outboard. I've got one I cut in half and extended for removing
the nut on a Harley Evo clutch.

If it wasn't for my 3/4 drive set there are a few things I just could not
do. On the flip side it might be possible to find some of those sizes in
1/2 drive (at a premium) and those big sockets are used rarely (maybe once a
month) enough that I have a cheap set. I'll never were them out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You didn't discover axle grease, or never-sieze for the
threads?

This is an ongoing discussion in trailer boats magazine. Basically you do
not want to use grease on lug bolts as it can cause them to back off under
normal torque and nobody has a good figure for over torqueing them. Instead
the consensus is to use anti seize compound which has very low lubricity,
but still prevents the bolts from seizing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I bought my 3/4 inch Chinwanese socket set about 20 years ago to take
the crank nut off of a Triumph Spitfire 1.5L engine (not exactly a
farm implememt size vehicle). I end up using them probably 4 or 5
times per year as sockets to remove a nut or bolt. As someone else
has mentioned, they make good bearing race drivers and I have used the
set for driving bearing races more than for removing fasteners (for
larger diameters I have turned plumbing fittings (cheap source of
stock, nipples, caps and couplings) to the needed diameter) . I am
very glad that I spent $40 for them back then and for my limited use,
they should last the rest of my lifetime.

11457.invalid wrote:
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-28, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus11457 wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

[ ... ]

I wouldn't blow money on 3/4" stuff unless your really sure you'll need
it, and then only get what you need.

I strongly suspect that this is not a question of whether to
blow money on a set, but rather whether to sell a set which came as part
of one of his auction purchases.

I, personally, would keep the set. It would save me from the
occasional emergency trip to the auto parts place to spend a lot of
money on a single socket of just the right size. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-28, Ignoramus22435 wrote:
OK, thanks to all. It would sound that your uses of this center on
deep automotive repairs.

[ ... ]

What I will do is keep one 3/4" T-handle breaker bar, maybe a ratchet,
and no more than 4-5 sockets 1.5" to 2". (I can use regular 1/2"
sockets under 1.5"). The remaining 100 lbs of stuff I will get rid
of. I have no need for weird stuff like a 1 inch drive, 3 1/8" socket
or other monstrosities.

That 3-1/8" socket sounds like a bragging desk paperweight to
me. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hmm. I've been greasing wheel lugs for about 30 years.
Havn't had a properly snugged lugnut come loose, yet. I do
have some copper based antisieze, though.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

This is an ongoing discussion in trailer boats magazine.
Basically you do
not want to use grease on lug bolts as it can cause them to
back off under
normal torque and nobody has a good figure for over
torqueing them. Instead
the consensus is to use anti seize compound which has very
low lubricity,
but still prevents the bolts from seizing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

My trick is to give a tool that I might need every once in a while for
Christmas or birthday of a good friend or relative. Free storage and
maintenance!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah, you shoulda seen the one that got away....

One of my first jobs that was a "big" job. Replaced a couple
strut rod bushings on my Dodge van. The shop wanted $400 or
so, and told me how those bolts never want to come off. I
used two propane torches for heat, and had to buy a 1 3/8
socket for the job. Breaker bar, 18 inch, and a pipe. There
wasn't much room to turn the bar, I was only able to jack up
the van a bit. So I heated, and pulled. Finally the nut came
loose. I just kept turning it left and right, as it cooled
down. Took it off with a half inch ratchet. The two other
bolts were 3/4 if memory serves. I was actually a bit
astounded that I got the job done.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

sockets under 1.5"). The remaining 100 lbs of stuff I will
get rid
of. I have no need for weird stuff like a 1 inch drive, 3
1/8" socket
or other monstrosities.

That 3-1/8" socket sounds like a bragging desk paperweight
me. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times):
(703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by
zero ---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-28, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus11457 wrote:

[...]

It is not really a set, it is a big pile of sockets. They are all
good, just do not make a set. I could probably make a big "set" by
size and then make a small "set" for myself, say from 1.5" to 2".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 27 Apr 2010 23:48:52 -0700
wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I use them occasionally, but seldom for Light Home Use

I use them occasionally for heavy home use. Or for holding doors
open in the Light Home.

I use what is available, and no more than I have to.

pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,
I use 3/4" sockets several times a year and almost always with my 3/4 impact wrench. Most of the usage is motorcycle engine clutch
baskets and crank nuts. I also use 3/4" drive on harmonic balancer bolts on larger engines. Several of my sockets are custom made.
Now 1" drive is a bit over the top, but not 3/4"
Steve