Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Do you use 3/4 inch drive sockets for light home use purposes

Ignoramus22435 wrote:
OK, thanks to all. It would sound that your uses of this center on
deep automotive repairs.

My thinking on this is as follows. In 10 years of messing with
machinery, I never needed 3/4" sockets even once. I never work on cars
to the extent of needing to take off flywheels or crankshafts. I
cannot see why I would ever want to. I use vehicles to get myself and
my things from point A to point B.

I have 1/2" size sockets, up to 30" breaker bars, and a 1/2" impact,
that take care of all my needs.

What I will do is keep one 3/4" T-handle breaker bar, maybe a ratchet,
and no more than 4-5 sockets 1.5" to 2". (I can use regular 1/2"
sockets under 1.5"). The remaining 100 lbs of stuff I will get rid
of. I have no need for weird stuff like a 1 inch drive, 3 1/8" socket
or other monstrosities.

that describes my tools almost exactly. Add a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter for the
impact wrench.