Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] aribert@c3net.net is offline

Default Do you use 3/4 inch drive sockets for light home use purposes

I bought my 3/4 inch Chinwanese socket set about 20 years ago to take
the crank nut off of a Triumph Spitfire 1.5L engine (not exactly a
farm implememt size vehicle). I end up using them probably 4 or 5
times per year as sockets to remove a nut or bolt. As someone else
has mentioned, they make good bearing race drivers and I have used the
set for driving bearing races more than for removing fasteners (for
larger diameters I have turned plumbing fittings (cheap source of
stock, nipples, caps and couplings) to the needed diameter) . I am
very glad that I spent $40 for them back then and for my limited use,
they should last the rest of my lifetime.

On Apr 27, 7:19*pm, Ignoramus11457 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11457.invalid wrote:
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.