Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Do you use 3/4 inch drive sockets for light home use purposes

In article ,
Ignoramus11457 wrote:

Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I've been doing automotive work for eons, and can only remember a couple
of times where 3/4 drive stuff might have been nice.

However, years ago I bought a 1/2" drive 24" $nap On breaker bar... it
was about $50 bucks IIRC (probably $175 now). Even it doesn't get 'that'
much use, but several times a year, it leaves a big cheery grin on my
face.

For a home use example... a couple of weeks ago, a neighbor had a
leaking pipe nipple behind his toilet... rusty, tight like hell, limited
access, they'd been messing with it for hours. Went over there with the
24" breaker bar, 20" extension, 1/2" easy out and 1/2" drive 8 point
socket to match. Said nipple was out in less time than it took to type
this paragraph.

I wouldn't blow money on 3/4" stuff unless your really sure you'll need
it, and then only get what you need.

Good Luck!

Erik

PS, now that I think about it, my local equipment rental place rents
3/4" socket sets... yours might too. I'd sure ask around before I'd buy.