Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do you use 3/4 inch drive sockets for light home use purposes

My breaker bar is from Horrid Fright, but I use it only once
a year or so. I've found an application where it broke a
bolt off, where impact wrench removed the nut (rear shocks
on rusty pickup truck).

Sounds like you were the man with the proper tool. I've had
that moment once in a while when a friend or neighbor is
doing car repairs in the driveway. My next door neighbor had
been trying to remove the 18 MM bolt to change his brake
caliper, and had broken a couple box wrenches. Black socket,
and breaker bar did the job.

Renting probably cheaper than buying, even at HF prices.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Erik" wrote in message

I've been doing automotive work for eons, and can only
remember a couple
of times where 3/4 drive stuff might have been nice.

However, years ago I bought a 1/2" drive 24" $nap On breaker
bar... it
was about $50 bucks IIRC (probably $175 now). Even it
doesn't get 'that'
much use, but several times a year, it leaves a big cheery
grin on my
face.

For a home use example... a couple of weeks ago, a neighbor
had a
leaking pipe nipple behind his toilet... rusty, tight like
hell, limited
access, they'd been messing with it for hours. Went over
there with the
24" breaker bar, 20" extension, 1/2" easy out and 1/2" drive
8 point
socket to match. Said nipple was out in less time than it
took to type
this paragraph.

I wouldn't blow money on 3/4" stuff unless your really sure
you'll need
it, and then only get what you need.

Good Luck!

Erik

PS, now that I think about it, my local equipment rental
place rents
3/4" socket sets... yours might too. I'd sure ask around
before I'd buy.