Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do you use 3/4 inch drive sockets for light home use purposes

"Ignoramus11457" wrote in message
Just trying to see if anyone ever really needed 3/4 drive sockets
(impact and not), for light home use. Nothing bigger than a pickup or a
15 HP compressor or a small CNC mill like Bridgeport Series II type
stuff.

My feeling is that these sockets are only for serious equipment like
excavators and bulldozers. Am I mistaken?

The reason for my question is kind of obvious.

I have a set of 3/4 drive sockets. I use one regularly for the slide on
forks I made for my front loader. Another I use regularly for the prop nut
on my big outboard. I've got one I cut in half and extended for removing
the nut on a Harley Evo clutch.

If it wasn't for my 3/4 drive set there are a few things I just could not
do. On the flip side it might be possible to find some of those sizes in
1/2 drive (at a premium) and those big sockets are used rarely (maybe once a
month) enough that I have a cheap set. I'll never were them out.