Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I was almost impounded, laptop saved me

details later
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28336 wrote:

details later

Well since you managed to post this it sounds like you are walking free. Curiousity
piqued.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After you were impounded, I bet they threatened to have
several big cops cram into a cell with night sticks, and
infract you, also?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus28336" wrote
in message
details later

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

details later

Well since you managed to post this it sounds like you are walking free. Curiousity
piqued.

I rented a lowboy and picked up the mill. I was going slowly and
stoped to check that the straps are tight. A police car pulled by and
the officer asked if I was OK, I said yes, thank you Sir. After a few
words exchanged, I continued on my way. The policeman followed me a
bit and then flashed his lights. This time he asked for DL and
insurance, which I produced. He told me that my truck was missing some
kind of sticker about its certification to carry weight. I do not
remember what it is exactly and will find out.

Then he came back and told me that my class D drivers license allows
me to only pull vehicles with total weight rating of up to 22,000 lbs
(says on the license), and the capacity of my vehicle and trailer was
26,000 lbs. So, according to them (another one pulled up) I was in
violation and not permitted to drive this weight rating due to
deficient drivers license. My trailer was to be impounded (it is a
rental!) and the impound fee was $500.

I was, as you can imagine, very excited about the prospect of this
mill being snowed on in the impound lot while I find ways to get it
out or get a Class C license. The impound fee was what I paid for the
mill.

Then a tow truck pulled by to impound my trailer.

I asked the police officers "are you sure about this" and they said
yes, and yet I wondered how a rental agency would let me rent this.

I had a laptop with me and it had a special wireless broadband
card. So, I googled "Illinois class C license weight" and found this
page:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...nse_class.html

It said that Class D license allows: ``Any single vehicle with a GVWR
of 16,000 pounds or less towing any vehicle providing the GCWR does
not exceed 26,000 pounds.''

I was not exceeding that. The rental guys did not give me a trailer
that I could not tow.

I showed this to the police officers , they talked a bit and then told
me that they are giving me the "benefit of the doubt" and that
Illinois is all screwed up because of conflicting laws. I ended up
still being fined with that sticker fine, but let go. Not many people
drive away happy because of a police stop and a $75 fine.

So I wonder whether this was an honest mistake on their part, or
not. I tend to think that it was an honest mistake on their part.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

[...]

Fun stuff.

Probably a good idea to print out all potentially relevant laws and keep
them in the truck for any future fun.

I haven't heard of a class D license before, both states I've been in
didn't have anything below C. You should probably look into upgrading to
a C. I expect it's just an excuse to charge more for the upgraded
license, but it will at least put you on par with what most states have
as the base license.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28336 writes:

So I wonder whether this was an honest mistake on their part, or
not. I tend to think that it was an honest mistake on their part.

If it hadn't been an honest mistake, you'd be trying to get your trailer
out of impound right now.

Really, something like 99 44/100 % of the time, these things really are
honest mistakes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." writes:

I haven't heard of a class D license before, both states I've been in
didn't have anything below C. You should probably look into upgrading to
a C. I expect it's just an excuse to charge more for the upgraded
license, but it will at least put you on par with what most states have
as the base license.

googlegooglegoogle... in NM, the standard noncommercial license is a
Class D.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

[...]

Great story, a keeper!
Almost reminds me of Garcia (the pyooter research whiz) on Criminal Minds.
Hilarious!
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:50:15 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

"Pete C." writes:

I haven't heard of a class D license before, both states I've been in
didn't have anything below C. You should probably look into upgrading to
a C. I expect it's just an excuse to charge more for the upgraded
license, but it will at least put you on par with what most states have
as the base license.

googlegooglegoogle... in NM, the standard noncommercial license is a
Class D.

And in Canada (Ontario anyway) it is a G (for General) add M for
Motorcycle. and ML for limited motorcycle.
d: Light commercial Any truck or motor vehicle combination exceeding
11,000 kg provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kg

a: Any tractor-trailer or combination of motor vehicle and towed
vehicles where the towed vehicles exceed a total gross weight of 4,600
kilograms
AR: Effective June 16, 2008:
Drivers with a restricted Class A licence condition would be prevented
from operating:
a motor vehicle pulling double trailers
a motor vehicle pulling a trailer with air-brakes.

B: Any school purposes bus with designed seating capacity for more
than 24 passengers

C: Any regular bus with designed seating capacity for more than 24
passengers

E: School purposes bus - maximum of 24 passenger capacity

F: Regular bus maximum of 24 passenger capacity and ambulances

An A is good for D,G, and A.
The B is good for C, D, E, F and G
The C is good for D, F and G
D is also good for G.
E is good for F and G
F is good for G.

Add Z to any class for air brakes (AZ, BZ, DZ, etc)

Years ago there was just the O (Operators) and C (Chauffeurs) with the
C required for any commercial use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 23:00:35 -0500, "Existential Angst"

m...
On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

[...]

In Zambia the muffler on my '49 VW was GONE. Pretty noizy. Got cited
for a defective exhaust - 75 Kwatcha fine (more than I paid for the
car). I went down to the Boma and asked to see the schedule of fines.
There was a fine for "no muffler installed" - 15 Kwatcha ( a Kwatcha
at the time was the same as a Rand - about $2.65). I showed the
attending officer there was NO muffler on the car and got away with
15K fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 20:51:43 -0600, Ignoramus28336

On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

[...]

I cant speak for the Peoples Republik of Illinois..but such behavior in
the Peoples Republik of California is becoming more and more previlent
as the cops are trying to get more and more fines layed so the
departments and agencies can get relief in a rapidly declining tax base.

Im driving like a Believer these days.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

"Pete C." writes:

I haven't heard of a class D license before, both states I've been in
didn't have anything below C. You should probably look into upgrading to
a C. I expect it's just an excuse to charge more for the upgraded
license, but it will at least put you on par with what most states have
as the base license.

googlegooglegoogle... in NM, the standard noncommercial license is a
Class D.

Google is crap. Altavista is vastly better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

[...]

You should also investigate that mysterious "weight sticker" thing. 90%
probability you will find that it is not applicable to non-commercial
vehicles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

[...]

It's bad that you need a laptop and wireless broadband because the police
don't know the law. I guess it's guilty until proven innocent? I just wish
you could sue the police for trying to impound you because of their mistake,
they need to be held accountable for their actions. They will have to be
more careful and make sure not to pull over people with wireless broadband.

I have a 1 ton pickup truck and always thought it would be nice to have a
large capacity trailer so I could take my forklift with me to a machinery
auction and haul some toys home.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-06, Pete C. wrote:

On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

[...]

Yes, I will check, but I have a "D" plate, so here the policeman may
have been right

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-06, RogerN wrote:

It's bad that you need a laptop and wireless broadband because the police
don't know the law.

Yes, and it could be much, much worse.

I guess it's guilty until proven innocent? I just wish you could
sue the police for trying to impound you because of their mistake,
they need to be held accountable for their actions. They will have
to be more careful and make sure not to pull over people with
wireless broadband.

I do not think that I can sue them for trying to impound it, but if
they did, I would have a case.

I have a 1 ton pickup truck and always thought it would be nice to have a
large capacity trailer so I could take my forklift with me to a machinery
auction and haul some toys home.

I will personally get a Class C license, just in case.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 04:04:21 -0600, the infamous "Pete C."
scrawled the following:

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

"Pete C." writes:

I haven't heard of a class D license before, both states I've been in
didn't have anything below C. You should probably look into upgrading to
a C. I expect it's just an excuse to charge more for the upgraded
license, but it will at least put you on par with what most states have
as the base license.

googlegooglegoogle... in NM, the standard noncommercial license is a
Class D.

Google is crap. Altavista is vastly better.

On what search type do you base that statement, Pete?

I buy a vast diversity of product types over the Web and have found
that Google best served my searches for them. Maybe it's the Frugal
Searcher's dream engine. g

I tried the others for a week, including Creative Commons, Clusty,
Bing, Yahoo, Searchalot, and All the Internet, and found fewer valid
hits in the first few pages on each (compared to Google.)

I just added AltaVista and will try it, too.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-06, wrote:

It's bad that you need a laptop and wireless broadband because the police
don't know the law.

Yes, and it could be much, much worse.

I guess it's guilty until proven innocent? I just wish you could
sue the police for trying to impound you because of their mistake,
they need to be held accountable for their actions. They will have
to be more careful and make sure not to pull over people with
wireless broadband.

I do not think that I can sue them for trying to impound it, but if
they did, I would have a case.

I have a 1 ton pickup truck and always thought it would be nice to have a
large capacity trailer so I could take my forklift with me to a machinery
auction and haul some toys home.

I will personally get a Class C license, just in case.

In some states you need a medical for anything over 18,000 lb. single
or combination ( trailer ) PA is one state that requires a medical.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

[...]

On a four lane road, I was driving East-bound while a school bus was stopped
with red lights flashing in the West-bound curb lane. I kept driving. A
cop pulls me over and is about to ticket me for not stopping for the school
bus. I JUST happen to have the Ohio road rules book and pointed out to the
cop that I don't have to stop on a four lane road. He was young and
embarrassed and called in to check the law. He let me go but said I should
stop anyway for the kid's sake. I said I would and that was a good idea.
ALWAYS give a way to save face to a guy with a gun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Diplomacy is a good thing...

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Buerste" wrote in message

On a four lane road, I was driving East-bound while a school
bus was stopped
with red lights flashing in the West-bound curb lane. I
kept driving. A
cop pulls me over and is about to ticket me for not stopping
for the school
bus. I JUST happen to have the Ohio road rules book and
pointed out to the
cop that I don't have to stop on a four lane road. He was
young and
embarrassed and called in to check the law. He let me go
but said I should
stop anyway for the kid's sake. I said I would and that was
a good idea.
ALWAYS give a way to save face to a guy with a gun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-06, RogerN wrote:

It's bad that you need a laptop and wireless broadband because the police
don't know the law.

Yes, and it could be much, much worse.

I guess it's guilty until proven innocent? I just wish you could
sue the police for trying to impound you because of their mistake,
they need to be held accountable for their actions. They will have
to be more careful and make sure not to pull over people with
wireless broadband.

I do not think that I can sue them for trying to impound it, but if
they did, I would have a case.

I have a 1 ton pickup truck and always thought it would be nice to have a
large capacity trailer so I could take my forklift with me to a machinery
auction and haul some toys home.

I will personally get a Class C license, just in case.

I've been considering getting a non-commercial class A license so I have
maximum flexibility.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26053" wrote in message

I will personally get a Class C license, just in case.

Before you go changing your drivers license, why don't you go to the highway
patrol office and get the exact story on what your current license allows
you to haul.

The weight sticker thing is as I understand it for commercial vehicles and
is there for calculating weight fees, so that might not be applicable to non
commercial hauling.

By getting a different license and a commercial classification on your
vehicle, you might be incurring multiple headaches such as increased
insurance rates, inspections and other regulatory BS that would cost you
more than hiring a truck to haul the big stuff.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26053 wrote:

It's bad that you need a laptop and wireless broadband because the police
don't know the law.

Yes, and it could be much, much worse.

Yes it could. Had they realized what you were up to, they could have used the 'officer
safety' card to keep you from going on line and possibly summoning help. They have wide
latitude in restricting your actions during a stop.

Had they improperly impounded your trailer, you would then have to sue in court for
relief. At the same time your bridgeport would be rusting away in open storage and
impound fees would be accruing that you would have to win a suit against the governmental
unit in order to have paid. Then there is the matter of damages and I'm sure their idea
of damages is just what you paid and nothing more. My bud calls that sort of situation a,
"Nine line bind".

I'm sure glad you came out whole.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus26053 wrote:
On 2010-03-06, RogerN wrote:
[...]

No such animal any longer.
Class A,B,C are all CDL.
Used to be that you could get one and then if you were hauling personal
items you didn't have to worry about much. Now you have to have a
current medical ID to drive any vehicle if you have a CDL.
They have been changing the laws a bunch over the past couple years.
PLUS the states can still enact stricter laws. Some states are really
cracking down on heavy looking loads. Others are enacting BS laws that
will catch you for odd crap. Florida put into effect a law that was
tagging a lot of Suburban, Excursion, Dually owners for driving out of
class. It made big news in the RV/Trailer crowd for a few months.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus26053 wrote:
On 2010-03-06, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Last I looked non-commercial A still existed here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-05, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:

[...]

nice save.

It sounds like that if they really wanted to completely ruin your day,
they could have- as in bust you then try to sort things out later and
ignore whatever crap you pulled up on some laptop.

You even got pulled over twice, the second time because it took a while
for them to find another reason to stop you (no sticker).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus26053 wrote:
On 2010-03-06, RogerN wrote:
[...]

I would check REAL close. Federal law doesn't allow it any longer and
A,B,C class tags fall under Federal Motor Carrier jurisdiction.
PA just enacted a bunch of new laws or faced elimination of 22 million
in federal funding.
Many states have already changed the laws because of this.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-06, Roger Shoaf wrote:

"Ignoramus26053" wrote in message

I will personally get a Class C license, just in case.

Before you go changing your drivers license, why don't you go to the highway
patrol office and get the exact story on what your current license allows
you to haul.

The weight sticker thing is as I understand it for commercial vehicles and
is there for calculating weight fees, so that might not be applicable to non
commercial hauling.

By getting a different license and a commercial classification on your
vehicle, you might be incurring multiple headaches such as increased
insurance rates, inspections and other regulatory BS that would cost you
more than hiring a truck to haul the big stuff.

Maybe they screwed me even on that. I ask myself the same
question. But I figure that going to court over it is not worth the
bother. If I was retired, I would definitely go.

I am now taking a dimmer view of this situation. I think that these
policemen were on the prowl for suckers to replenish the coffers of
that particular town. But, they had enough common sense to know that
when someone figured out their BS, they should promptly back off.

If this happened in Russia, there would be no chance that I could get
away without giving these policemen a bribe. What I see in the Unuited
states is far, far better. I have never been asked for a bribe
here. The policemen yesterday were a little overzealous, but, I would
say, not for any immediate personal interest.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-06, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus26053 wrote:

[...]

Wes, you are indeed 100% on the mark. I think that with the judge in
cohorts with the administration and police, I am sure that I would
have gotten the mill back, at the expense of a lagel process, and I
would never be made whole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-07, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:
[...]

I was pulled over only once. The first time I stopped by myself, to
check my rigging, and then the police pulled in. I always stop after
driving 1-2 initial miles, as straps need some tightening.

I think that what helped is that I acted relatively cool, did not spit
at them, etc. I read a book on how to be assertive, a while ago, and
followed it. This really helps in many encounters.

That said, to their credit, the police officers were friendly and
fair.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus26053" wrote in message

I am now taking a dimmer view of this situation. I think that these
policemen were on the prowl for suckers to replenish the coffers of
that particular town. But, they had enough common sense to know that
when someone figured out their BS, they should promptly back off.

Check out the violation number on the ticket, it may be bougus.
A chicago cop gave me a ticket once and just made up a violation.
Went to court and asked for a reading of the law, thats when the
judge dismissed the ticket. They are hoping most people will just
pay the the ticket.

Illinois $13 billion budget deficit.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus26053 wrote:
On 2010-03-06, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Well, fortunately I'm in Texas, which routinely tells the feds where to
go and what to do. Dunno, every license I've ever had has been C, even
my first license back in CT.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can see out of control types that would take apart the mill
looking for a gram of drugs. Then give you a street full of parts.

That happened to my son in California as his truck was once owned
by a bad guy - bought at a police auction and reconditioned, sold by
a friend of the family to son...

Great truck, but he was stopped twice for the other guy. The second time,
he, the cop, recognized a change of interior and driver - let him go. The
first time his complete contents of the truck was on the highway. insurance,
CD's, tools and school papers.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-07, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I can see out of control types that would take apart the mill
looking for a gram of drugs. Then give you a street full of parts.

That happened to my son in California as his truck was once owned
by a bad guy - bought at a police auction and reconditioned, sold by
a friend of the family to son...

Great truck, but he was stopped twice for the other guy. The second time,
he, the cop, recognized a change of interior and driver - let him go. The
first time his complete contents of the truck was on the highway. insurance,
CD's, tools and school papers.

Did your son receive any compensation?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

I can see out of control types that would take apart the mill
looking for a gram of drugs. Then give you a street full of parts.

That happened to my son in California as his truck was once owned
by a bad guy - bought at a police auction and reconditioned, sold by
a friend of the family to son...

Great truck, but he was stopped twice for the other guy. The second time,
he, the cop, recognized a change of interior and driver - let him go. The
first time his complete contents of the truck was on the highway. insurance,
CD's, tools and school papers.

Did he agree to a search? Some people give away their rights at the start of the
encounter. I've been asked twice if law enforcement could search my car. Both times I
said no, not without a warrant, and both times they let me go. Michigan and South
Carolina were the two locations.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 7, 4:20*am, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
I can see out of control types that would take apart the mill
looking for a gram of drugs. *Then give you a street full of parts.

That happened to my son in California as his truck was once owned
by a bad guy - bought at a police auction and reconditioned, sold by
a friend of the family to son...

Great truck, but he was stopped twice for the other guy. *The second time,
he, the cop, recognized a change of interior and driver - let him go. The
first time his complete contents of the truck was on the highway. *insurance,
CD's, tools and school papers.

Martin

Did the police have a warrant?

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 19:49:31 -0600, the renowned Ignoramus26053

On 2010-03-07, wrote:

Commercial is hauling ANY goods that are not your personal posession,
whether for gain or not. At least that's how it is interpreted up
here.

Then it was not commercial, since the mill was mine.

Let's say that you go to Walmart to buy a stapler that you want to use
in your business. Is that a "commercial hauling"? Not really.

I had NY state-based US border guys make some comments that indicated
I should be paying NY state road tax for bringing a small carton of
electronics I'd built to an airport courier depot (it was for
business). They didn't actually do anything, but I suspect if it had
been something physically large or heavy they might have. I would be a
bit cautious when answering questions that appear to be along that
line from regular police officers about things in your car (since it's
probably them that actually enforce such things), and certainly not
volunteer information that could lead to problems. But most would
probably ASS-U-ME a big, heavy greasy machine is for business and not
personal.

Most people have little exposure to machinery these days. One asked me
if the car (the wife's station wagon at the time) could handle the
item I was picking up in Chicago (a 500lb Diacro punch- from azotic).
I had to bite my lip to not comment that a couple guys his size in the
back seat would _easily_ exceed that. ;-) Diplomacy and all that..

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No - had to pick up everything and they sped away.
I suppose a ticket if he didn't pick it up.

Sometimes those guys have special reasons to do this and that -
like the previous owner was in their hands and got away when they
didn't check him out... something like that. Revenge looking...

Martin