Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default I was almost impounded, laptop saved me

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 19:49:31 -0600, the renowned Ignoramus26053

On 2010-03-07, wrote:

Commercial is hauling ANY goods that are not your personal posession,
whether for gain or not. At least that's how it is interpreted up
here.

Then it was not commercial, since the mill was mine.

Let's say that you go to Walmart to buy a stapler that you want to use
in your business. Is that a "commercial hauling"? Not really.

I had NY state-based US border guys make some comments that indicated
I should be paying NY state road tax for bringing a small carton of
electronics I'd built to an airport courier depot (it was for
business). They didn't actually do anything, but I suspect if it had
been something physically large or heavy they might have. I would be a
bit cautious when answering questions that appear to be along that
line from regular police officers about things in your car (since it's
probably them that actually enforce such things), and certainly not
volunteer information that could lead to problems. But most would
probably ASS-U-ME a big, heavy greasy machine is for business and not
personal.

Most people have little exposure to machinery these days. One asked me
if the car (the wife's station wagon at the time) could handle the
item I was picking up in Chicago (a 500lb Diacro punch- from azotic).
I had to bite my lip to not comment that a couple guys his size in the
back seat would _easily_ exceed that. ;-) Diplomacy and all that..

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany