Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I was almost impounded, laptop saved me

When you are at the back of the truck with your hands over the back and
your feet apart - you want to say no ? This was a small insider
county. One would have thought they would have known.
Sons landlord a few years ago flew to Phoenix started a bar fight
and stayed a month in jail.

Martin

Wes wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

I can see out of control types that would take apart the mill
looking for a gram of drugs. Then give you a street full of parts.

That happened to my son in California as his truck was once owned
by a bad guy - bought at a police auction and reconditioned, sold by
a friend of the family to son...

Great truck, but he was stopped twice for the other guy. The second time,
he, the cop, recognized a change of interior and driver - let him go. The
first time his complete contents of the truck was on the highway. insurance,
CD's, tools and school papers.

Did he agree to a search? Some people give away their rights at the start of the
encounter. I've been asked twice if law enforcement could search my car. Both times I
said no, not without a warrant, and both times they let me go. Michigan and South
Carolina were the two locations.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is very difficult to even recognize that the police is asking for a
permission to search. They may say something "open your trunk" or "if
you have done nothing wrong, you would not mind us looking into your
car, now would you" or "I need to search your car, hand me your keys".

This is a good video on the subject. A must see for every citizen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I did spend the 45 minutes to watch the video. Looks
reasonable, to me. Of course, we could back up a couple
steps and remind these folks that if they were strictly
legal, they wouldn't have many of these problems. Don't use
street drugs, and don't have loud parties.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

This is a good video on the subject. A must see for every
citizen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10008 wrote:
It is very difficult to even recognize that the police is asking for a
permission to search. They may say something "open your trunk" or "if
you have done nothing wrong, you would not mind us looking into your
car, now would you" or "I need to search your car, hand me your keys".

This is a good video on the subject. A must see for every citizen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Good video, thanks for the link; and, congrats on your acquisition,
looks like a nice machine.

But, the video brings up this change of subject:

I'm on dial-up at the house so don't even try to watch any videos
there, but at work we have DSL, so I was able to view it - the couple
times I started the video, it would run for a few minutes, then sort
of freeze - after waiting a bit and trying to restart the video to no
avail, I reloaded the page, and did so 3 times to get to about the 25
minute mark. I next tried clicking on the ad link after starting the
video (so some google ad stayed visible at the bottom of the video
window) and it then proceeded to play for the full duration.

So, the question for the group is, does this sound like the normal
'youtube' experience, or is there something else I could have done to
make the video display without having to reload the page 5 or six
times?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-07, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:
I rented a lowboy and picked up the mill. I was going slowly and
stoped to check that the straps are tight. A police car pulled by and

Then he came back and told me that my class D drivers license allows
me to only pull vehicles with total weight rating of up to 22,000 lbs

I had a laptop with me and it had a special wireless broadband
card. So, I googled "Illinois class C license weight" and found this
page:

I showed this to the police officers , they talked a bit and then told
me that they are giving me the "benefit of the doubt" and that

nice save.

It sounds like that if they really wanted to completely ruin your day,
they could have- as in bust you then try to sort things out later and
ignore whatever crap you pulled up on some laptop.

You even got pulled over twice, the second time because it took a while
for them to find another reason to stop you (no sticker).

I was pulled over only once. The first time I stopped by myself, to
check my rigging, and then the police pulled in. I always stop after
driving 1-2 initial miles, as straps need some tightening.

I think that what helped is that I acted relatively cool, did not spit
at them, etc. I read a book on how to be assertive, a while ago, and
followed it. This really helps in many encounters.

That said, to their credit, the police officers were friendly and
fair.

I forgot to ask, were they local cops or from the county or state?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

[...]

I'm on 1M/384K D/U dsl. I used firefox with the Downloadhelper add in. I had no
problems snagging the 96.8 MB file in flv form.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus26053 wrote:
On 2010-03-07, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:
[...]

Local cops from the local village.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

I'm on 1M/384K D/U dsl. I used firefox with the Downloadhelper add in. I had no
problems snagging the 96.8 MB file in flv form.

Wes

I'll have to give that a try, thanks. Any caveats about Flash
delivering unwanted stuff or malicious files?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike wrote:

I'll have to give that a try, thanks. Any caveats about Flash
delivering unwanted stuff or malicious files?

There have been patches to flash and shockwave issued quiet often. Keep your system
patched.

I use the Flashblock add in with firefox so most flash never gets executed on my pc. Btw,
DownloadHelper seems to work fine with Flashblock.

In the meantime, I downloaded the larger MP4 version 135MB w/o any problems.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mine played through. You can log onto www.savetube.com if I
remembered the URL. And download it to file. FLV or some
other format. Bring it home on flash drive.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
mike wrote:

I'll have to give that a try, thanks. Any caveats about Flash
delivering unwanted stuff or malicious files?

There have been patches to flash and shockwave issued quiet often. Keep your system
patched.

I use the Flashblock add in with firefox so most flash never gets executed on my pc. Btw,
DownloadHelper seems to work fine with Flashblock.

In the meantime, I downloaded the larger MP4 version 135MB w/o any problems.

Wes

All right, thanks for the pointers, got some more reading to do now.

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Mine played through. You can log onto www.savetube.com if I
remembered the URL. And download it to file. FLV or some
other format. Bring it home on flash drive.

I'll have to give that a look, thanks.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 17:36:27 -0800, "azotic" wrote:
"Ignoramus26053" wrote in message

I am now taking a dimmer view of this situation. I think that these
policemen were on the prowl for suckers to replenish the coffers of
that particular town. But, they had enough common sense to know that
when someone figured out their BS, they should promptly back off.

Check out the violation number on the ticket, it may be bogus.
A chicago cop gave me a ticket once and just made up a violation.
Went to court and asked for a reading of the law, thats when the
judge dismissed the ticket. They are hoping most people will just
pay the the ticket.

Illinois $13 billion budget deficit.

Or they heard the Heavy Russian accent on the first "Is everything
all right?" stop (Sorry Iggy, but the welder video doesn't lie...)

And got up the courage for the second stop - they thought they could
get away with hitting you up for a "donation to the Policeman's Ball."
You slide them a $100 bill or two each, and the problems mystically
vanish - "You're good to go, sir, Have a nice day!!"

This is Chicago and environs, that's Standard Operating Procedures.

But you showed initiative and proved that the "charges" they thought
up clearly do not apply to your situation - and even then, if this
goes to court for that last little charge you be sure to tell the
Judge all the interesting details of this traffic stop.

Sit down and take VERY detailed notes of everything that was said,
every detail you can remember, because I guarantee that the Cops did.
The Judge gives your word a lot more weight in court when you say "let
me refer to the notes taken ten minute after the stop..."

If you have audio or better video of the encounter... ;-)

I wouldn't be surprised if the judge tosses the whole thing out, or
the cops move to dismiss the ticket before even going to court when
you show intentions of talking to a Judge about it.

Okay, on to the legal points.

There ARE rules that trucks in commercial use have to post the
company legal name, any federal MVC or State Motor Carrier permit
numbers, and the rated GVWR on the doors.

But that is for Commercial trucks and usually for Over 10,000# GVWR
only, there are exemptions for Personal use of medium trucks "Not For
Hire"

I checked - I have a 4-tire C-3500 that is (just!) under 10,000#
gross, and doesn't trigger any of the other rules for commercial use
requiring the extra inspections, and a Federal MVC or CA MC Permit,
and a Class B commercial license, Medical Certificate and all the
other falderol.

If it did, I'd have to pull through every Weigh Station every time
I pass one, and that's just asking for trouble. They can always find
something I'm out of compliance on, and crank up the revenue machine.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-10, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
[...]

Bruce, I do not think that they were soliciting a bribe, and it was
not even in Chicago. I think that they were collectig money on behalf
of the village.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10008" wrote in message
It is very difficult to even recognize that the police is asking for a
permission to search. They may say something "open your trunk"

OK right after you show me the search warrant that particularly describes
what you can search and what exactly you are looking for.

or "if
you have done nothing wrong, you would not mind us looking into your
car, now would you"

Gee officer you have made a great point, and I, as a civic minded type of
guy would be happy to have you follow me to the court house and watch you
persuade the judge to issue a warrant. Besides it would be great practice
for you so that when you need to search a bad guys property all of your hard
work will not get the case tossed out for violating the rules.

or "I need to search your car, hand me your keys".

Right after you hand me the search warrant.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roger Shoaf wrote:
[...]

"Officer, I have lawyers in my family. If they ever heard I'd consented
to a warrantless search, I'd never live it down"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
"Officer, I have lawyers in my family. If they ever heard I'd consented
to a warrantless search, I'd never live it down"

That's perfect - non confrontational, friendly even.

Bob