Bill

Default How a "shoe lace" saved our @#$

My friend and I went up to the forest to cut firewood today.

We were about 25 miles from the nearest town, and nine miles up a bumpy
gravel forest service road when we heard a dragging noise from under the
truck. I thought it was a tree branch stuck under the truck.

My friend got out and looked under the truck, then got a look of worry on
his face. He said; "We are [expletive deleted]! The tie rod end on the
left front wheel is broken off!" (This connects the front two wheels so
they both point the same direction when you turn the steering wheel.)

One front wheel was pointing to the left and the other to the right. Not a
good situation to be in, especially out in the middle of nowhere.

So then we got on the CB and tried the emergency channel. No luck. Then
tried every other channel for 1/2 hour. No luck. We were too far up in the
mountains for anyone to receive our signal.

Then my friend got an idea. He used the jack to snap the tie rod back in
place. I then tried turning the truck around. It snapped back out of
place...

So then we just sat there for a while. Then my friend got another idea. He
removed his shoe lace and said let's use this to tie it in place.

So we did just that. Used the jack to snap the tie rod back in place, then
held it there with the shoe lace wrapped many times around and tied (long
shoe lace).

Then I proceeded to "back up and go forward" about 15 times to slowly turn
the truck around (being careful to not turn the steering wheel very much).
Eventually I got the truck pointed to go back down the road.

Then we drove very slowly all the way down that forest service road (9
miles) to a main road where we were able to get someone to call a tow truck
for us.

So my clever friend and his "shoe lace" got us home!

Sheldon Harper

"Bill" wrote in
:

[...]

A bungee did this for me so well I was almost tempted to forget about
replacing the tie rod end.

MrC1

Thank you for not coming up with the idea that one of you would hold it in
place while the other drove slowly. Funny, but a few with lower IQs than
you have been hurt/killed doing similar things!

Nice to hear it worked!

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Hwang

Bill wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Wondering how old the truck is and ever do regular maintenance on it?
Tony
tom

Hmmmmmm. Tom

badgolferman

Bill, 10/6/2005,10:43:55 PM, wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a Ford!!! Falls apart with no warning and held together
with shoelaces.

--
"The only time my prayers are never answered is on the golf course." --
Billy Graham
Amun

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
[...]

I was thinking along those same lines while reading the OP.
Amazing that anyone should still be driving a vehicle without doing regular
maintenance and would not have repaired a worn tie rod long before it fell
off.

I'm going to file this one along with the posts about people who never check
their furnaces then post here asking for help that it does not work and the
temp is now -40 degrees in the house. Or those that post that their bathtubs
just fell through the rotted out floor after water was leaking through a
wall for the last decade.

AMUN

Larry Bud

So we did just that. Used the jack to snap the tie rod back in place, then
held it there with the shoe lace wrapped many times around and tied (long
shoe lace).

I held temporarily held a muffler up in my vette when a bolt for the
hanger fell out and was lost. I used dental floss!!!! It's incredibly
strong. Held in normal driving for 20 miles until I could get home.

Bill

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Wondering how old the truck is and ever do regular maintenance on it?

It is an 81 with probably over 500,000 miles on it. I try to keep it in good
operating order. (Has recently rebuilt engine, etc.) Actually I was just
about to take it into the shop to have the front end worked on....

Elmo

Larry Bud wrote:
So we did just that. Used the jack to snap the tie rod back in place, then
held it there with the shoe lace wrapped many times around and tied (long
shoe lace).

I held temporarily held a muffler up in my vette when a bolt for the
hanger fell out and was lost. I used dental floss!!!! It's incredibly
strong. Held in normal driving for 20 miles until I could get home.

We used to call things like that works doughnuts ("Works, don't it?).
In my days as a provider of roadside assistance on the toll road I was fond of
using hose clamps and Quaker State oil cans (which were still made of metal at
that time) as exhaust pipe repair parts. Duro made an epoxy putty that came as
a blue strip next to a yellow strip (mix until smooth green) which could patch
small holes in gas tanks. One of my fellow workers claimed to have used a
woman's panty hose as a fan-belt but I think that was a tall story because we
got extra credit for selling belts and hoses even if it meant an extra trip back
to the service station to get the necessary part. But no one could do anything
with the kid who had borrowed his holder brother's muscle car and had it break
down. When Greg got there the kid was holding a piece of connecting rod and he
said "This fell out of the bottom. Can you put it back?" Greg took the air
cleaner cover off and made a show of trying to put it back down through the
carburetor. Then he called the tow truck.

--
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital.
Capital is the fruit of labor and could not exist

Jack

I think it is a brilliant post... Bill... ignore the judgemental
jackasses who feel the need to constantly lecture those of us who don't
worship the God of preventive mainenance..

Hey.. when it breaks I fix it... It works for me.. .life is a little
more fun that way.

Barry Bean

"Bill" wrote in
:

So we did just that. Used the jack to snap the tie rod back in place,
then held it there with the shoe lace wrapped many times around and
tied (long shoe lace).

Hope that was a factory shoelace! Otherwise it might void the warranty.

My Father-in-law always said, "God could forgive a thief, but never a
teller of tall tales." These tales appear very tall.
JD

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 03:09:42 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Wondering how old the truck is and ever do regular maintenance on it?

Yeah, Tony, because **** never just, you know, breaks, regardless of how
it's maintained, is that it?

JohnH

One front wheel was pointing to the left and the other to the right.
Not a good situation to be in, especially out in the middle of
nowhere.

Perhaps all the rattling and slop in the front end before it came apart
should have been a hint as to what was coming.

Goedjn

Hi,
Wondering how old the truck is and ever do regular maintenance on it?

Yeah, Tony, because **** never just, you know, breaks, regardless of how
it's maintained, is that it?

Why do you even talk to these people?
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:10:38 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

Hi,
Wondering how old the truck is and ever do regular maintenance on it?

Yeah, Tony, because **** never just, you know, breaks, regardless of how
it's maintained, is that it?

Why do you even talk to these people?

Well, I guess in this case to somewhat give him a "**** off" message,
and somewhat to express some sort of support for the guy who came up
with a damn good solution to a problem, on the fly, and sharing it with
us.

Nick Hull

In article ,
Sheldon Harper wrote:

Then we drove very slowly all the way down that forest service road (9
miles) to a main road where we were able to get someone to call a tow
truck for us.

So my clever friend and his "shoe lace" got us home!

A bungee did this for me so well I was almost tempted to forget about
replacing the tie rod end.

Actually the caster will keep the wheel in the right direction if you
drive forward slowly. I have done it with a farm tractor and a 66
Chrysler.

More than a shoe lace: One weekend while garage sale shopping my VW
didn't want to go after a stop sign. The guy behind drove alongside and
told me my engine had fallen out! Sure enough, the engine was laying on
the pavement, still connected but unable to shift because the linkage
was shifted. I got a couple of logs from the nearby creek and levered
the engine back up and tied it into place with some rope I had in the
car, steel cored so it was strong. Drove the car 30 miles home then 20
miles to a repair shop on Monday.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Andy Hill

"Bill" wrote:
...Then my friend got an idea. He used the jack to snap the tie rod back in
place. I then tried turning the truck around. It snapped back out of
place...

So then we just sat there for a while. Then my friend got another idea. He
removed his shoe lace and said let's use this to tie it in place.

So we did just that. Used the jack to snap the tie rod back in place, then
held it there with the shoe lace wrapped many times around and tied (long
shoe lace).

What, you weren't carrying a roll of baling wire in the bed toolbox? Kids these
days :-)

Nice kludge :-
Gil Faver

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Sheldon Harper wrote:

[...]

once, while I was piloting my spaceship (an old galactica
IV, ionic impaction engine still purring away!) about 5.3
parsecs from namola stalartica, . . .

Mark

I'm wondering that if you drove it backwards and steered with the one
good wheel, if the wheel with the broken tie rod would caster itself
into place...

but on a rocky dirt road, who knows?

Mark

Doug Chadduck

Gil Faver wrote:
"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Sheldon Harper wrote:

[...]

You had spaceships? In our day................

I got a couple of logs from the nearby creek and levered
the engine back up and tied it into place with some rope I had in the
car, steel cored so it was strong. Drove the car 30 miles home then 20
miles to a repair shop on Monday.

Ford Escort GT, Mt. Washington, overheating on the way up, no electric
fan for some reason, used a paperclip to short the fan temperature
sensor wiring harness to fix that.

Dave Hinz

On 7 Oct 2005 10:15:51 -0700, wrote:
I got a couple of logs from the nearby creek and levered
the engine back up and tied it into place with some rope I had in the
car, steel cored so it was strong. Drove the car 30 miles home then 20
miles to a repair shop on Monday.

Ford Escort GT, Mt. Washington, overheating on the way up, no electric
fan for some reason, used a paperclip to short the fan temperature
sensor wiring harness to fix that.

Chevy econobox, along side the road with pretty girl standing along side,
between Omaha and Kansas City, middle of nowhere. "It just stopped all
of the sudden". A bit of investigation showed no spark, which I traced
to the rotor having come apart in the distributor. The rotor had a
springy copper tab for the contact, held in place by molten plastic
pushed up through holes in the tab. This plastic had sheared off,
leaving the rotor to spin with no electrical contact to the wires.

So, I had my full toolkit with me, including some 1/8" sheet metal
self-tapping screws (nice for joining ductwork). Pre-drilled two holes
where the tab had been held to the rotor, explained that if this went
bad, I could destroy her distributor for her, and then screwed the tab
to the plastic body of the rotor. Started right up, ran fine. I
followed her to her exit without incident.

So, a couple screws overcame a serious GM engineering defect.
But, it made a pretty girl's day much less unhappy, and made my drive
from Denver to Wisconsin seem a bit shorter that time.

(PeteCresswell)

Per MrC1:
Thank you for not coming up with the idea that one of you would hold it in
place while the other drove slowly. Funny, but a few with lower IQs than
you have been hurt/killed doing similar things!

When I was *very* young, the fuel pump on my beater went.

I recall laying on the left front fender, feet on the bumper, sort of bracing
myself with my left hand, with the hood up, dribbling gasoline into the
carburetor while my bud drove us through the back streets of Waikiki with his
head sticking out of the drivers side window like the engineer on a train.
--
PeteCresswell
Neon John

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:43:55 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

My friend and I went up to the forest to cut firewood today.

We were about 25 miles from the nearest town, and nine miles up a bumpy
gravel forest service road when we heard a dragging noise from under the
truck. I thought it was a tree branch stuck under the truck.

My friend got out and looked under the truck, then got a look of worry on
his face. He said; "We are [expletive deleted]! The tie rod end on the
left front wheel is broken off!" (This connects the front two wheels so
they both point the same direction when you turn the steering wheel.)

So then we just sat there for a while. Then my friend got another idea. He
removed his shoe lace and said let's use this to tie it in place.

Heh! whatever it takes. I've gotten out of the woods on my dirt bike
after breaking a chain and using all my masterlinks by cutting the
clutch cable and wiring the chain back together with the high strength
wire.

Two things that go in the emergency kit are duct tape and mechanic's
wire. This is soft iron wire that is strong but easy to bend. I've
made everything from a fanbelt to an alternator bracket to suspension
parts with the stuff. Fashion the wire in the shape you want and use
the duct tape to hold it in place if necessary.

You might also consider carrying an improvised welder in your kit if
you're out in the woods like that. All you need is some gas welding
filler rod, a long set of jumper cables and a carbon rod that you get
from the welding supply place. You use your car battery as the power
source. 12 volts isn't enough to keep a stick welding arc going but
it will run a carbon arc. You use the carbon arc just like an
acetylene torch or TIG and use the filler rod to fill the joint.

That and a few random pieces of metal stock and you can fix almost
anything. In your situation (BTDT), I'd have taken a hunk of angle
and welded a bracket to the control arm to hold the ball in place.
Strong enough to get you out but easy to remove for the permanent fix.

If you carry a second battery, for in case you run the other one down
after flooding or drowning the engine, you can hook the two in series
for welding and use ordinary AC or DC sticks. Lots of the guys I
off-road with do that. They carry the long jumpers and a third jumper
suitable for running from the spare battery to the cranking battery.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Neon John

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:48:51 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per MrC1:
Thank you for not coming up with the idea that one of you would hold it in
place while the other drove slowly. Funny, but a few with lower IQs than
you have been hurt/killed doing similar things!

When I was *very* young, the fuel pump on my beater went.

I recall laying on the left front fender, feet on the bumper, sort of bracing
myself with my left hand, with the hood up, dribbling gasoline into the
carburetor while my bud drove us through the back streets of Waikiki with his
head sticking out of the drivers side window like the engineer on a train.

Something similar. I had the throttle cable break on my 280Z. After
tossing an old moving pad across the engine, I had my bud straddle the
engine (rear opening hood) and operate the throttle while I drove.

That actually worked well. He could watch traffic and know when to
change speeds, usually. We had to verbally coordinate shifting but
that wasn't hard. If I'd gotten scared, I was prepared to stab the
clutch and the ignition switch until we got our signals coordinated
again.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN

Neon John

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 08:08:09 -0400, "Amun"
wrote:

Hi,
Wondering how old the truck is and ever do regular maintenance on it?
Tony

I was thinking along those same lines while reading the OP.
Amazing that anyone should still be driving a vehicle without doing regular
maintenance and would not have repaired a worn tie rod long before it fell
off.

Always the sideline quarterbacks who say stuff like this. FYI, a
beater or farm truck is just that - an old truck that one has nothing
invested in that he beats around the woods in, hauling rocks, hay,
feed, firewood and the like. Maintenance consists of fixing stuff when
it breaks, and then only enough to keep it running.

Only a fool would spend the money to say, rebuild the front end, when
the whole truck might be worth $100 and could be replaced for another
$100. Fix what breaks and use the thing til too many things break too
often, then drop it off at the wrecking yard and find another one.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
jd

I remember swapping outhte engine of my 72 campervan on the side of I80 one
afternoon..... Cops stopped by a couple times to make sure I was OK, but
pretty much let me be.

--JD

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Sheldon Harper wrote:

[...]

Goedjn

Something similar. I had the throttle cable break on my 280Z. After
tossing an old moving pad across the engine, I had my bud straddle the
engine (rear opening hood) and operate the throttle while I drove.

That actually worked well. He could watch traffic and know when to
change speeds, usually. We had to verbally coordinate shifting but
that wasn't hard. If I'd gotten scared, I was prepared to stab the
clutch and the ignition switch until we got our signals coordinated
again.

That's another applicatiuon where shoelace comes in handy.
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:13:31 -0400, jd wrote:
I remember swapping outhte engine of my 72 campervan on the side of I80 one
afternoon..... Cops stopped by a couple times to make sure I was OK, but
pretty much let me be.

Nobody stopped to help?

Elmo

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

The things that auto manufacturers would do to save a nickel because a nickel
times all those cars added up included:
Fords built in the early 70's had cheap plastic cam contacts on the points which
were glued to the movable arm.
Pontiac made an engine with fiber reinforced plastic teeth on the timing gear
and they would break at about 35K miles.

--
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital.
Capital is the fruit of labor and could not exist
if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior
of capital and deserves much the higher consideration."
Abraham Lincoln

Norminn

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:13:31 -0400, jd wrote:

I remember swapping outhte engine of my 72 campervan on the side of I80 one
afternoon..... Cops stopped by a couple times to make sure I was OK, but
pretty much let me be.

Nobody stopped to help?

Probably didn't have a skirt on )

So, a couple screws overcame a serious GM engineering defect.
But, it made a pretty girl's day much less unhappy

It's amazing what one can do when properly inspired.

For a couple of screws on the side of a highway I could try to fix
anything.

Brock Ulfsen

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 03:09:42 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Wondering how old the truck is and ever do regular maintenance on it?

Yeah, Tony, because **** never just, you know, breaks, regardless of how
it's maintained, is that it?

Especially tie-rod ends, when you bounce over rough ground, like at the
edge of a track.

Now, if you could drop then out in the carpark of your local parts store
and x-ray them inside for 50c, then I'm sure that they'd get replaced
more often. (I hate steering gear.)

....Brock.
Amun

wrote:

[...]

I know full well what a "beater" is and have owned several in my lifetime.

But tie rods don't just fall off without ANY warning.
You will already have problems steering long before sudden failure occurs

I was advised long ago, you can't get into problems with 2 tons of metal
that won't start or go.
But you can get into one heck of a lot of problems when it won't stop.

the engine can belch smoke, the trans may howl or not go into a gear or
two, and the fenders may flap in the breeze

But dammit, the brakes and steering are no place to save a few bucks.

You may not give a rat's ass about yourself, but it's always the innocent
ones that get hit head on by people who saved a few bucks/

AMUN