Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I was almost impounded, laptop saved me

On 2010-03-07, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus28336 wrote:
I rented a lowboy and picked up the mill. I was going slowly and
stoped to check that the straps are tight. A police car pulled by and

Then he came back and told me that my class D drivers license allows
me to only pull vehicles with total weight rating of up to 22,000 lbs

I had a laptop with me and it had a special wireless broadband
card. So, I googled "Illinois class C license weight" and found this
page:

I showed this to the police officers , they talked a bit and then told
me that they are giving me the "benefit of the doubt" and that

nice save.

It sounds like that if they really wanted to completely ruin your day,
they could have- as in bust you then try to sort things out later and
ignore whatever crap you pulled up on some laptop.

You even got pulled over twice, the second time because it took a while
for them to find another reason to stop you (no sticker).

I was pulled over only once. The first time I stopped by myself, to
check my rigging, and then the police pulled in. I always stop after
driving 1-2 initial miles, as straps need some tightening.

I think that what helped is that I acted relatively cool, did not spit
at them, etc. I read a book on how to be assertive, a while ago, and
followed it. This really helps in many encounters.

That said, to their credit, the police officers were friendly and
fair.

I forgot to ask, were they local cops or from the county or state?