Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus26053 Ignoramus26053 is offline

Default I was almost impounded, laptop saved me

On 2010-03-06, Roger Shoaf wrote:

"Ignoramus26053" wrote in message

I will personally get a Class C license, just in case.

Before you go changing your drivers license, why don't you go to the highway
patrol office and get the exact story on what your current license allows
you to haul.

The weight sticker thing is as I understand it for commercial vehicles and
is there for calculating weight fees, so that might not be applicable to non
commercial hauling.

By getting a different license and a commercial classification on your
vehicle, you might be incurring multiple headaches such as increased
insurance rates, inspections and other regulatory BS that would cost you
more than hiring a truck to haul the big stuff.

Maybe they screwed me even on that. I ask myself the same
question. But I figure that going to court over it is not worth the
bother. If I was retired, I would definitely go.

I am now taking a dimmer view of this situation. I think that these
policemen were on the prowl for suckers to replenish the coffers of
that particular town. But, they had enough common sense to know that
when someone figured out their BS, they should promptly back off.

If this happened in Russia, there would be no chance that I could get
away without giving these policemen a bribe. What I see in the Unuited
states is far, far better. I have never been asked for a bribe
here. The policemen yesterday were a little overzealous, but, I would
say, not for any immediate personal interest.