Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Above gorund swimming pools

My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Thanks!

Not hard to install. Level chunk of ground. Put 3-4" of clean sand down.
Set up frame and install liner. Connect up filter pump, Fill with water
and check the PH and bacteria with a test kit.

Biggest problem with used is the liner. Holes are NOT good...

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 10:32*am, "Steve W." wrote:
stryped wrote:
My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Thanks!

Not hard to install. Level chunk of ground. Put 3-4" of clean sand down.
Set up frame and install liner. Connect up filter pump, Fill with water
and check the PH and bacteria with a test kit.

Biggest problem with used is the liner. Holes are NOT good...

--
Steve W.

One problem is my lot is not perfectly level. How can I level it by
hand?

How much are liner.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Thanks!

Hi Stryped,
I bought a used pool many, many years back. Prior to buying I checked out
the price of a new liner. Was quite expensive ($350±) at the retail level
but was able to cajole a manufacturer to sell me one at a wholesale price.
Claimed I wanted to try out their liner on a customer pool to see if I could
recommend for other jobs. Considerable savings. More than 50%.

In my instance the pool price was $100. That's pretty cheap for all the
metal, railings, ladders, pumping systems etc. etc.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?
Thanks!

Not hard to install. Level chunk of ground. Put 3-4" of clean sand down.
Set up frame and install liner. Connect up filter pump, Fill with water
and check the PH and bacteria with a test kit.

Biggest problem with used is the liner. Holes are NOT good...

--
Steve W.

One problem is my lot is not perfectly level. How can I level it by
hand?

Well you can dig the high spots down and toss the fill into the low
spots. Not fun but can be done.

How much are liner.

How high is the sky? Depends on the pools size, shape, liner material,
color. Low end probably $150.00 high end $3000.00+

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can recomment an inflatable pool. They are easier to clean and
remove for winter. Plus they are a lot cheaper. Make sure to get a
good pump and a good filter and maintain proper chemistry.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 7:59*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jun 23, 6:29*pm, Wes wrote:

wrote:
Have you contacted your home owners insurance company about this yet?
Might not like th' increase in premiums if money's tight. *

Swimming pools far more deadly to the little ones than guns.

Wes
in their eyes." *Dick Anthony Heller

Got statistics to prove that...other than NRA fluff.

Dead is dead either way.

TMT

Here are some numbers...

Pools : 260

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07195.html

Guns : 3792

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/00...naldeath98.htm

Got better ones?

It would seem that guns are 10x more dangerous.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 7:58*am, stryped wrote:
My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Thanks!

You might want to run the numbers on how much it will cost to maintain
the pool versus the cost of going to the public pool.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The main safety consideration, as far as kids and pools are concerned,
is to have little enough water in the pool so that the smallest kid
can safely be in the pool, and high enough walls so that small kids
cannot climb there by themselves. I would suppose that some kids are not
able to follow rules, but in our house they know not to go there
without supervision until they are fully able to safely play in the
pool. It is better to err on the safe side.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:59:00 -0500, Ignoramus17181
wrote:

The main safety consideration, as far as kids and pools are concerned,
is to have little enough water in the pool so that the smallest kid
can safely be in the pool, and high enough walls so that small kids
cannot climb there by themselves. I would suppose that some kids are not
able to follow rules, but in our house they know not to go there
without supervision until they are fully able to safely play in the
pool. It is better to err on the safe side.

When we moved her in1984, the house behind us had an above ground
pool. The owner offered to install a gate so that Junior (10) could
get together with his kids about the same age. I declined on the
grounds that a 200 foot walk was good exercise, not to mention that
said gate would access the pool area. The next owner had two "feral
children" around four and five years, who were allowed to play
completely unsupervised in the pool area once the inverted "V" ladder
had been taken out of the pool. It took these two kids less than a
week to figure out how to re-install the ladder. Fortunately the house
was resold in short order and within a week the pool was gone and a
garage/workshop started.
Fortunately, the fencing requirements are somewhat more stringent now.
A four foot high, horizontal board fence is no longer considered to be
an adequate pool enclosure.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped

Could I use my single turning plow on the back of my 8n to level?????

Just thinking....

You can to break up the dirt, rig up a blade to move it once you get it
broke up.

As for the water depth and such, Fill the pool and teach the kids to
swim in it. Keep in mind that you can easily drown in 1" of water! Also
install a legal fence around it and a water monitor (sounds an alarm if
someone gets in the pool without you knowing it)

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:17:50 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Thanks!

Hi Stryped,
I bought a used pool many, many years back. Prior to buying I checked out
the price of a new liner. Was quite expensive ($350±) at the retail level
but was able to cajole a manufacturer to sell me one at a wholesale price.
Claimed I wanted to try out their liner on a customer pool to see if I could
recommend for other jobs. Considerable savings. More than 50%.

In my instance the pool price was $100. That's pretty cheap for all the
metal, railings, ladders, pumping systems etc. etc.

Ivan Vegvary

I picked up two pumps for $0.50 each a couple weeks back just to get
the 25 foot power cords. I haven't decided what to do with them yet,
they both worked fine when I tested them.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I use a pool filter and pump for the first stage of the water filtration
in this place. The water comes from a nearby creek. Into a 1000 gallon
holding tank. Through the pool filter to remove sediment and larger
crud. It then hits another holding tank with a dual UV unit in it. Then
it goes through a two stage system of sediment filters and water
softening. Then through two charcoal filters. Coming out the water makes
bottled water look like crap!

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Thanks!

They are totally easy, just about as simple as re-building the carb on a
tiller, or replacing head gaskets. In other words, way too much for you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped writes:

My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight

Stop right there. Swimming pools are horrifically expensive luxuries.
True cost per swim will be over $100. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't
done it or can't count.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:45:50 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:
stryped wrote:

My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Not hard to install. Level chunk of ground. Put 3-4" of clean sand down.
Set up frame and install liner. Connect up filter pump, Fill with water
and check the PH and bacteria with a test kit.

Fill with water, and then go Eeeeeew! because it'll be brown-black
from the average city supply - lots of dissolved and suspended dirt.
You need a good Diatomaceous Earth filter and a few days and several
full "turns" of the water to scrub the grunge out of the water before
people are going to want to get into it.

Cartridge filters aren't worth the powder it takes to blow them
to... And sand filters aren't a lot better for filtering efficiency -
their only advantage is they are cheap to build on a massive scale.

Biggest problem with used is the liner. Holes are NOT good...

If the liner is more than three to five years old, be very wary.
Vinyl deteriorates. You might be able to patch it now, but it'll get
progressively worse.

Same thing with the thin sheetmetal style sidewalls - if there is a
little rust now, it won't take long before there is lots.

One problem is my lot is not perfectly level. How can I level it by
hand?

Well you can dig the high spots down and toss the fill into the low
spots. Not fun but can be done.

How much are liner.

How high is the sky? *Depends on the pools size, shape, liner material,
color. Low end probably $150.00 high end $3000.00+

Could I use my single turing plow on the back of my 8n to level?????

Just thinking....

You can use the plow to break up the sod and hard-pack soil on the
high side, but once you get it all loose a Gannon box grader would be
the hot ticket to get it all level.

Some Gannons have a set of retractable rip blades built in, and would
do it all at once - with several passes.

And to set the level on the pad if you dont have a Surveyor's dumpy
level, or a rotary laser level or other fancy means, use the old
stand-by - a water level.

Garden hose with two adapters and two chunks of clear vinyl tubing,
and two yardsticks to compare the ends against each other. KISS
personified.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

stryped wrote:
[...]

Can I use a carpenters level on a 2x4? I have a water level tank I
built for posts, but not sure how I would use it to level ground. It
was a 10 gallon plastic tank with a nipple on the side or bottom. Cant
remember it has been in my shed for awhile now. One of those things I
built one weekend out of some scrap when I was bored.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 10:31*pm, Stuart Wheaton wrote:
stryped wrote:
My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight and was wondering if a person could buy a used on off
craigslist or if a used pool is not a good idea. Are they hard to
install yourself?

Thanks!

They are totally easy, just about as simple as re-building the carb on a
tiller, or replacing head gaskets. *In other words, way too much for you.

By the way both the tiller and the truck are now running for those
that care.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:43:56 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

stryped writes:

My kids and wife are wanting an above ground swimming pool. Money is
kind of tight

Stop right there. Swimming pools are horrifically expensive luxuries.
True cost per swim will be over $100. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't
done it or can't count.

I doubt that, but my pool adds $50.00/mo. to my electreic bill, and
don't forget the cost of chemicals.

I got my pool used, 28' Johnny Weissmuller, top of the line, pool, all
accessories and even the wood deck for $500.00. Came with a brand new
liner in the box. They did not like the design. You cannot reuse a
liner, the holes will NEVER line back up, reinstalled turned 90 to 180
degrees is a bad option, that would be 2 very big holes to patch.

I did destroy a few sections of lower track taking the pool apart, had
to order replacements before I could put it up. Busted my ass with
about 3 weeks of digging to get a flat spot big enough. Then had to
buy 2 tanker trucks of water to fill it, I did not want to burn out
my well pump filling this thing.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 6:29*pm, Wes wrote:

wrote:
Have you contacted your home owners insurance company about this yet?
Might not like th' increase in premiums if money's tight. *

Swimming pools far more deadly to the little ones than guns.

Wes
in their eyes." *Dick Anthony Heller

Got statistics to prove that...other than NRA fluff.

Dead is dead either way.

TMT

Here are some numbers...

Pools : 260

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07195.html

Guns : 3792

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/00...naldeath98.htm

Got better ones?

It would seem that guns are 10x more dangerous.

TMT

In Chapter 5 of Freakonomics, which explores the art and science of
parenting, we pose this question: Which is more dangerous, a gun or a
swimming pool? It turns out that far more children die each year in
swimming pool accidents than in gun incidents. For parents in warm-
weather states like Florida, California, and Arizona, this is plainly
a year-round concern, and now that summer seems to have leapt over
spring (at least here in New York City, where it hit 80 F. yesterday),
swimming-pool season is nearly here for all of us.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
stryped writes:

[...]

So a used one taken down if you buy a new liner is a good option? I
have an 8n. Can I borrow a scrapper to level it? I guess i would have
to use a shovel to remove the sod?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 6:29*pm, Wes wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I just posted the statistics...that prove otherwise.

Your turn to provide better numbers.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm still wondering what a "gorund" is, that you can apparently have a
swimming poop above one. B-)
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 24, 9:05*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

Freakonomics is a book worth reading even though it is easy reading.
So check it out of your library. I would give you the source for the
numbers in the book, but
I do not own a copy.

Your numbers are not compatible. The one for deaths in swimming pools
is for children under 5. The number for gun deaths is for minors up
to age 19 or 21. I forget which. And I think it includes intentional
deaths as well as accident.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 24, 4:50*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Feel free to look for better numbers...just make sure that you have
credible references.

I would be interested in seeing them.

I tried to get stats from what I considered to be credible sources.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that pyotr filipivich on or
about Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:49:36 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'm still wondering what a "gorund" is, that you can apparently have a
swimming poop above one. B-)

Oh pool, I had my own typo.

Berts.

pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can I use a carpenters level on a 2x4? I have a water level tank I
built for posts, but not sure how I would use it to level ground. It
was a 10 gallon plastic tank with a nipple on the side or bottom. Cant
remember it has been in my shed for awhile now. One of those things I
built one weekend out of some scrap when I was bored.

Make 2, 10 inch posts, set on the ground, if the top of the posts are
level, the ground is level

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
stryped writes:

[...]

Used pool worked for me, it was in really nice shape, and had all the
accessories too.

No idea on the 8N and a scraper. I dug by hand and used a 15 foot
long 8" I beam drug around in circles by my lawn tractor, (1" pipe as
center pivot thru hole in end of beam) it would identify high spots
that needed more digging and I would lay a level on the beam from time
to time and dig as needed.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
stryped writes:

[...]

Good luck and be sure to enjoy the pool with your kids.

It's the memories that will count in the end.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Safe kids USA. Injury trends report 2007...
http://www.usa.safekids.org/tier3_cd...older_id=54 0

The number of unintentional injury deaths for leading causes among
children less than 14 years of age has deteriorated from 1987 to 2004:i

Overall motor vehicle fatalities declined from 3,587 deaths to 2,431
deaths.
Bicycle injury fatalities declined from 389 deaths to 132 deaths.
Pedestrian injury fatalities declined from 1,283 deaths to 583 deaths.
Drowning fatalities declined from 1,363 deaths to 761 deaths.
Fire and/or burn injury fatalities declined from 1,233 deaths to 512 deaths.
Suffocation and choking fatalities have risen from 690 deaths to 963
deaths.
Unintentional firearm injury fatalities declined from 247 deaths to 63
deaths.
Falls injury fatalities declined from 149 deaths to 107 deaths.
Poisoning fatalities declined from 100 deaths to 86 deaths.

Comparing apples to apples gets you more than 10X drownings v. shootings

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Here are some numbers... Pools : 260
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/p...07195.htmlGuns :
3792
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/00...death98.htmGot

Safe kids USA. *Injury trends report 2007...http://www.usa.safekids.org/tier3_cd...m_id=19011&fol...

[...]

Interesting..thanks for posting them.

Your numbers show....

Drowning : 761
Guns : 63

My numbers show...

Pools : 260
Guns : 3792

Obviously we have a conflict.

I posted my sources.

When I went to check your sources via www.usa.safekids.org there are
no sources for the numbers.

Any idea where to look?

Thanks

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Click link in my post, choose format (PDF or other) that you want, look
at data....

Simple, even for a troll

Thanks

TMT

Pools sweeper Kurt Ullman Home Repair 2 May 20th 09 04:28 AM
Questions about Swimming Pools & Equipment trax Home Repair 0 May 16th 08 04:16 PM
Endless pools and hot tubs Evon Barvinchack Home Repair 0 September 26th 05 01:41 PM
Question about D.E. Filter grids for swimming pools Bill Weissborn Home Repair 11 April 26th 05 05:02 AM
Inground Swimming Pools Benign Vanilla Home Repair 22 June 22nd 04 06:11 PM