Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Above gorund swimming pools

On Jun 24, 9:05*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Here are some numbers...

Pools : 260

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07195.html

Guns : 3792

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/00...naldeath98.htm

Got better ones?

It would seem that guns are 10x more dangerous.

TMT

In Chapter 5 of Freakonomics, which explores the art and science of
parenting, we pose this question: Which is more dangerous, a gun or a
swimming pool? It turns out that far more children die each year in
swimming pool accidents than in gun incidents. For parents in warm-
weather states like Florida, California, and Arizona, this is plainly
a year-round concern, and now that summer seems to have leapt over
spring (at least here in New York City, where it hit 80 F. yesterday),
swimming-pool season is nearly here for all of us.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

I just posted the statistics...that prove otherwise.

Your turn to provide better numbers.

TMT

Freakonomics is a book worth reading even though it is easy reading.
So check it out of your library. I would give you the source for the
numbers in the book, but
I do not own a copy.

Your numbers are not compatible. The one for deaths in swimming pools
is for children under 5. The number for gun deaths is for minors up
to age 19 or 21. I forget which. And I think it includes intentional
deaths as well as accident.

Dan